Game 4 Leafs at Price 7:30

it is not like the 1981 expos, the best team in baseball in the second half of a season

but it feels that way. Half a season where they looked dominant, and a tough series against a team that is set to win it all.

I like this team, I was optimistic at the beginning of the season and I am generally optimistic for the near future. Like the Leafs, the Lightning and the Blues, maybe this is the path to becoming a cup contender: suffering through coming up short in the playoffs.

Let's hope they win at least the next game, if not for the joy of watching them play before some fans at the Bell center.

That was one of the most frustrating game to watch in a loooooong time.

No energy, no passion, no chirping, no offense, nothing.  I'm all for giving credit when it's due,  but I don't feel like the Leafs played that good of a game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it is not like the 1981 expos, the best team in baseball in the second half of a season

but it feels that way. Half a season where they looked dominant, and a tough series against a team that is set to win it all.

I like this team, I was optimistic at the beginning of the season and I am generally optimistic for the near future. Like the Leafs, the Lightning and the Blues, maybe this is the path to becoming a cup contender: suffering through coming up short in the playoffs.

Let's hope they win at least the next game, if not for the joy of watching them play before some fans at the Bell center.

Not even close. There is not a stacked roster with the hawk- Dawson, the kid - Carter, Raines, Oliver, Reardon, Rogers, Cromatie, wallach. A closer comparison for that team would have been Tampa bay from 3 years ago.

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not even close. There is not a stacked roster with the hawk- Dawson, the kid - Carter, Raines, Oliver, Reardon, Rogers, Cromatie, wallach. A closer comparison for that team would have been Tampa bay from 3 years ago.

that's what I wrote, not the same but feels the same... because of the expectations at the beginning of the season

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

.. Half a season where they looked dominant ...

The Habs looked dominant for 10 games ... then average (.500) until the Covid imposed break and then below average after Covid and through the various injuries (which was to be expected) ... 

24 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Like the Leafs, the Lightning and the Blues, maybe this is the path to becoming a cup contender: suffering through coming up short in the playoffs ...

Unlike the TBL, and TO fans hope the Leafs, the Habs are going through this without the elite talent those teams have ... a battle-tested average team is still not much more than an average team

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Man, I just don’t see grounds for optimism. The team has some good elements, yes. But Weber, Petry, and Price are only going to get worse. The D is constructed poorly. Most importantly, the young players - Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield - are a mixed lot and certainly not an exceptionally high-end or exceptionally deep group of youngsters. Anderson and Toffoli were excellent additions, but Danault, Tatar, and Gally all had horrible seasons. The players who are in their primes (the aforementioned five, along with Chiarot and Edmundson) are, collectively, nothing special. And we are at real risk of losing Allen. 

So: a team whose best players are all in their mid-30s; whose young talent is, taken as a whole, nothing exceptional; and whose prime-time players are average. The only grounds for optimism seems to be the belief that MB - if he’s still around - can pull a managerial rabbit out of his hat for the second off-season in a row and somehow retool the D.

• Like 1

I don't get the % system here.

For zone entries, Out of 8 attemps, Chiarot has 0 controlled, 6 dump and 2 failed for 38%. 

The only way to get to 38% is to allow 1/2 point for dumps,  3/8 = 37,5% so 38%

Now, how is Kulak getting 17%  with 2 dumps but 1 controlled ?  is Controlled bad ?

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Man, I just don’t see grounds for optimism. The team has some good elements, yes. But Weber, Petry, and Price are only going to get worse. The D is constructed poorly. Most importantly, the young players - Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield - are a mixed lot and certainly not an exceptionally high-end or exceptionally deep group of youngsters. Anderson and Toffoli were excellent additions, but Danault, Tatar, and Gally all had horrible seasons. The players who are in their primes (the aforementioned five, along with Chiarot and Edmundson) are, collectively, nothing special. And we are at real risk of losing Allen. 

So: a team whose best players are all in their mid-30s; whose young talent is, taken as a whole, nothing exceptional; and whose prime-time players are average. The only grounds for optimism seems to be the belief that MB - if he’s still around - can pull a managerial rabbit out of his hat for the second off-season in a row and somehow retool the D.

I guess I see more optimism than you do because I see potentially a strong forward group. Where I totally agree is the defence group. The ship has sailed as far as winning while Weber is in his prime, not going to happen. While I have great respect for what Weber brings, the cap space can be better used on a younger more mobile defenceman.  Weber will be another year older next year, Petry is not getting younger but still very valuable provided he is not expected to carry the load all the time.  They need some of their young prospects to develop and get creative so they can free up some cap space. Retooling the D is the number one priority in my opinion. 

Not dead yet.:mellow:

Would make for a awesome and memorable comeback by Habs and collapse by the Leafs.

Just win the next one baby!

25 minutes ago, DON said:

Not dead yet.:mellow:

Would make for a awesome and memorable comeback by Habs and collapse by the Leafs.

Just win the next one baby!

This folks is a fan. Good for you Don! 

I've just been hoping I don't have to watch more than one game. Ugh. 

This team is in lieu of glorieux. 

I know.. my French puns need some work. 

Alright..alright...my english ones too... gheesh! Tough crowd!

After the last couple of games I've acquired some insight into what it must be like to have tattoos removed every second day. 

57 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

After the last couple of games I've acquired some insight into what it must be like to have tattoos removed every second day. 

Ahhhh, after 5-1 beat down of Leafs tomorrow, you will forget about all the consternation of the past 3 games.:gohabsgo:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

For zone entries, Out of 8 attemps, Chiarot has 0 controlled, 6 dump and 2 failed for 38%. 

Now, how is Kulak getting 17%  with 2 dumps but 1 controlled ?  is Controlled bad ?

There is a column for "dump recovered".... none of Kulak's dump ins were recovered by the Habs. Chiarot had 1 dump in recovered. 

It looks like the percentage is correct for Kulak, but should be 12.5% for Chiarot, probably a typo on Chiarot's percentage. 

4 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Look at the zone exit stats! We are not Winning anything with stats like this. 

This is so poor that I wonder if it is done on purpose. 

Yes this is what I was complaining about, our D are all off the glass and out type of players and it hinders the transition game. 

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is a column for "dump recovered".... none of Kulak's dump ins were recovered by the Habs. Chiarot had 1 dump in recovered. 

It looks like the percentage is correct for Kulak, but should be 12.5% for Chiarot, probably a typo on Chiarot's percentage. 

Here is the answer.

One of the most frustrating things about that game was seeing the Habs dump and chase and continually fail to recover the puck. Clearly the stats bear out that painful “eye test.”

The universal diagnosis that this FW unit plays best off the rush, but lacks the D required to support that type of game, seems unimpeachably accurate to me.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Maybe its that the boys are just too fat and pampered to be hungry enough?

But would character players allow that to happen to themselves?

Seriously, that is always a question when teams underachieve ... more broadly, whether the organization fully engages the players ... both in terms of what is provided to them and what is asked of them ... the GREAT Pierre McGuire uses the term "organizational standards" ... while perhaps a buzz word for his GM interviews, I think the concept is important.