What's next for the Habs?

BCHabnut

1 hour ago, bbp said:

I still think this group is better than this series suggests... but our future is bleak.

Our 2024-2025 season will possibly feature. A 37yo Price, 39 yo Weber, 37yo Petry and 33yo Gallagher.

All likely broken beyond repair. For a total of what? 31M? 🤣

I think Bergevin should package something to Seattle to take Weber in the draft.  Weber is a shadow of his former self but up until this season he still had that cannon.  This season he doesn't even have that.  Free up $7m in cap space, use that $7m to make an offer to Dougie Hamilton @ $6m-$6.5m for 5 years to replace him on RD who is younger, an hopefully cheaper.

15 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I think Bergevin should package something to Seattle to take Weber in the draft.  Weber is a shadow of his former self but up until this season he still had that cannon.  This season he doesn't even have that.  Free up $7m in cap space, use that $7m to make an offer to Dougie Hamilton @ $6m-$6.5m for 5 years to replace him on RD who is younger, an hopefully cheaper.

You won't get Hamilton that cheap.

15 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

It's going to cost more than that for Hamilton, even in this market.  It'll be in the mid-seven range.

I remain a Timmins fan. Perhaps I’m naive but I feel the early round misses were GM induced. Only way to know for sure is if we could get our hands on Timmins’ pre-draft rankings - and my bet is that he has survived GM changes because he has been right when the GM was wrong. The Habs internal team know the truth. 

11 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I remain a Timmins fan. Perhaps I’m naive but I feel the early round misses were GM induced. Only way to know for sure is if we could get our hands on Timmins’ pre-draft rankings - and my bet is that he has survived GM changes because he has been right when the GM was wrong. The Habs internal team know the truth. 

Yes. And there is a world of difference between a first-round pick in the first ten vs the last ten.

Kotkaniemi (whom some people here whine about) was chosen because the Habs had a gaping hole at centre, so they chose to pick for position rather than best player available. That's management strategy, not scouting. And, at the time, it was probably a good decision, as we did not have Suzuki in the pipeline yet, and centres are hard to trade for.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. And there is a world of difference between a first-round pick in the first ten vs the last ten.

Kotkaniemi (whom some people here whine about) was chosen because the Habs had a gaping hole at centre, so they chose to pick for position rather than best player available. That's management strategy, not scouting. And, at the time, it was probably a good decision, as we did not have Suzuki in the pipeline yet, and centres are hard to trade for.

It should be noted that Kotkaniemi has 6 goals in 14 playoff games, not terrible for 20 year old. 

46 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Well, that’s a good point. We can’t know for sure.

54 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Sometimes the GM interferes in the picks. It was pretty well known in Edmonton that their scouts wanted Tambellini to take Ryan Murray instead of Yakupov in the 2012 draft but Tambellini insisted on taking Yakupov.  Neither Yakupov or Tambellini are around anymore.  That was horrible draft in 2012, most of the top 10 picks never made any find of significant contribution. Morgan Reilly likely the best at #5.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It should be noted that Kotkaniemi has 6 goals in 14 playoff games, not terrible for 20 year old. 

BUT, they could of drafted Tkachuk....or Hughes instead!!!:hammer:

14 minutes ago, DON said:

BUT, they could of drafted Tkachuk!!!:hammer:

Would have preferred Hughes to Tkachuk.  

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's going to cost more than that for Hamilton, even in this market.  It'll be in the mid-seven range.

So Weber out - Hamilton (potentially) in for about same caphit ... sounds good to me

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So Weber out - Hamilton (potentially) in for about same caphit ... sounds good to me

While I would love fir this to happen. I just can’t see Hamilton ever signing with Montreal.  I think he’ll prefer being an easier market.  Boston and Calgary did not go well.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sometimes the GM interferes in the picks. It was pretty well known in Edmonton that their scouts wanted Tambellini to take Ryan Murray instead of Yakupov in the 2012 draft but Tambellini insisted on taking Yakupov.  Neither Yakupov or Tambellini are around anymore.  That was horrible draft in 2012, most of the top 10 picks never made any find of significant contribution. Morgan Reilly likely the best at #5.

That is obvious in the first few years of MB’s tenure when he traded 2nd round picks at a time we were picking from the last 10 1st rounders. And we picked the big guys over the best players available with those first picks 

I like Timmins and I would definitely be happy with him if MB gets canned

48 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Would have preferred Hughes to Tkachuk.  

In retrospect, Hughes would have been a great pick. But six teams passed on him, so it wasn't obvious at the time.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

In retrospect, Hughes would have been a great pick. But six teams passed on him, so it wasn't obvious at the time.

I think only the first two picks were set and it was all over the place after that. While most had Zadina at #3, I remember Zadina, KK, Hughes and Tkachuk all being legit options.  I was actually also surprised at the time when the Wings didn’t take Hughes, and well Phoenix is Phoenix.

I would like to see a breakdown of impact players drafted by teams. Timmins is great at drafting the Carr andrighetto dime a dozen players. Yes, his draft record includes a lot of nhl games played, but how many were actually good? I'm standing by my assessment.  He sucks

18 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

MB had a great offseason last year.. excited to see what he does this summer. 

I think a lot of posters here hope he does a lot of golfing. Seriously, I hope (if he is still GM) that he continues looking for opportunities to get younger and faster, find teams that are desperate to win next year (ie Edmonton) and try and pry some of their best prospects. 

36 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I would like to see a breakdown of impact players drafted by teams. Timmins is great at drafting the Carr andrighetto dime a dozen players. Yes, his draft record includes a lot of nhl games played, but how many were actually good? I'm standing by my assessment.  He sucks

If you do the analysis for that, you'll also need to take into account the drafting position. Drafting impact players is much harder when you are drafting in 20th position or later.

Impact players? Sergachev.

Possibles (to early to tell)? Primeau. Poehling. Kotkaniemi. Romanov. Ylonen. Caufield. Guhle.

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think a lot of posters here hope he does a lot of golfing. Seriously, I hope (if he is still GM) that he continues looking for opportunities to get younger and faster, find teams that are desperate to win next year (ie Edmonton) and try and pry some of their best prospects

But that means reversing course from what he did last offseason ...the players he added would those of greatest interest to teams "desperate to win" and provide the greatest return.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Burrows as the next HC.

Pay attention to him on the bench with players.. more engaged, more conversations.. 

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But that means reversing course from what he did last offseason ...the players he added would those of greatest interest to teams "desperate to win" and provide the greatest return.

True. Anderson and Toffoli were great moves and are not old guys. He was able to get Toffoli because he had cap space and other teams did not.  Now he can use those assets or others to get even younger.  It would be reversing course but could have a very positive impact in a couple years. I am not looking so much for next year, I am looking at what we will look like in 3-5 years if we want to be a serious contender.