Should Dominique Ducharme be our head coach next year?

REV-G

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I was nervous about team identity. How can a team that has only one defenseman who can reliably spring an offensive rush, be so dependant on scoring off the rush? Some practice seems to have corrected that and they now support each other all the way up the ice and defend as a 5 man unit. They have been cycling way more too, which I feel a team with this defense needs to do. I was annoyed with bottom pairing usage. He paired one bottom guy with one top 4 d at 5 on 5, to balance defense minutes better. He created the Staal line and Suzuki line, who are playing huge in this playoff.  I love being proven wrong.  100% chance DD gets  contract next year.

Yep. He adjusted and adjusted again, and the team has now finally clicked. It was a near thing, but you have to hand it to him - by the time the Jets series started, he was making all the right moves. 👍

• Like 1

I started this post and I believed what I wrote about DD not coming back as our head coach next year. But I honestly never dreamed they could turn it around against Toronto the way they did. And I never imagined they could sweep Winnipeg in 4. 

Like many people I have had a complete reversal in my thinking. The team has come together in his system in a way that none of us would have believed possible. They seem to be playing for him, within his system and it's all working. This is one of the most amazing playoff turn-arounds that any team has experienced for a while. Even St. Louis a few years ago started their run in January, not at the 4 game mark of the playoffs, behind 3-1 in games. 

So at this point can anyone say with conviction that DD and MB should not be back next year and have not earned another shot. 

At the time I first wrote this post I thought I was right. However now, with the turn of events, I think I was wrong, so I'm certain they will both be back next year, and deservedly so. 

You just never know in sports!!   

One comment from Dom that I really liked is when he said something like:

”Hockey is honest, it rewards playing right. We will get those wins back”

meaning that he was not stressed by loosing sequences as long as the players were playing “right”

that showed maturity as a coach that made me comfortable defending him. You cannot buy that type of mindset

19 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

One comment from Dom that I really liked is when he said something like:

”Hockey is honest, it rewards playing right. We will get those wins back”

meaning that he was not stressed by loosing sequences as long as the players were playing “right”

that showed maturity as a coach that made me comfortable defending him. You cannot buy that type of mindset

Well…to be honest, practically every coach talks about focusing on the “process” rather than the results. It’s akin to saying “don’t get too high, don’t get too low.” 

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well…to be honest, practically every coach talks about focusing on the “process” rather than the results. It’s akin to saying “don’t get too high, don’t get too low.” 

I know, but it was more than that, I which I remembered better the exact quote 

As much as I'm impressed with what the Habs have done so far, I wanna see a little more. If they win a 3rd round (or even if they get eliminated, but don't look foolish against the powerhouses that are L.V. and Col.) then I would say give him a 3 year contract.

1 minute ago, Habsfan said:

As much as I'm impressed with what the Habs have done so far, I wanna see a little more. If they win a 3rd round (or even if they get eliminated, but don't look foolish against the powerhouses that are L.V. and Col.) then I would say give him a 3 year contract.

I agree ... until Galchenyuk served up Game 5 on a silver platter for CC & Suzuki and KK pulled out Game 6 (after the Habs blew leads in both games) DD's future was tenuous ... now he looks like a genius for the last 5 games.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... until Galchenyuk served up Game 5 on a silver platter for CC & Suzuki and KK pulled out Game 6 (after the Habs blew leads in both games) DD's future was tenuous ... now he looks like a genius for the last 5 games.

Very true. It is such a fine line between winning and losing sometimes. I think back to game 6 against Toronto, we were getting outshot 13-1 in overtime, get 1 chance and KK scores.  I think great goaltending has saved the jobs of a lot of GM's and coaches. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

were getting outshot 13-1 in overtime, get 1 chance and KK scores.  

Had 5 shots in OT vs Bruins in game 7 2011, but that didnt end well.

Sometimes, that is just the way the shite winds blow b'y.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Had 5 shots in OT vs Bruins in game 7 2011, but that didnt end well.

Sometimes, that is just the way the shite winds blow b'y.

That's right, you can always say "what if ..." but the only thing that counts is the number of goals scored. Sometimes you get the bounces, sometimes you do not. But over the span of a best-of-seven series, they tend to even out. 

So saying that we didn't deserve to win a game because we didn't have many shots in OT is really irrelevant, just like it's irrelevant  to say that we should have won Game 3 in that series because we had many more high-danger chances (but couldn't put the puck behind Campbell).

In the end.

Series wins matter.

Game wins matter.

Goals matter.

Shots don't matter.

Scoring chances don't matter.

Face-off percentages don't matter.

Score more goals than the opposition, however you do it, and you'll win the games, and eventually the series. History won't care about how many shots you had in OT before scoring, all that matters is that you scored in OT and won the game.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's right, you can always say "what if ..." but the only thing that counts is the number of goals scored. Sometimes you get the bounces, sometimes you do not. But over the span of a best-of-seven series, they tend to even out. 

So saying that we didn't deserve to win a game because we didn't have many shots in OT is really irrelevant, just like it's irrelevant  to say that we should have won Game 3 in that series because we had many more high-danger chances (but couldn't put the puck behind Campbell).

You missed my point. I didn't say they didn't deserve to win. A goalie is very much a part of the team. My point was that there can be a very fine line between winning and losing. Sometimes teams dominate and there is not a fine line. I have seen the Habs winning many cups where the line was not fine at all. When you win 2 elimination games in overtime then it was a fine line.

I am not discrediting the Habs at all, they hung in there and came back from a 3-1 deficit and then basically destroyed Winnipeg.  They are on a roll and I am loving it. Just saying it was very close to going the other way against Toronto. 

I agree that there may be a fine line in one-win tournaments like the FIFA World Cup or tennis

but in the Stanley cup tournament, teams have to win multiple times to go through

the Habs have show. They were the better team for two weeks consecutive 

That matters and is a better indicator than shots in OT or scoring chances