Sickening reconciliation - Roy and Mario the devil

hab29RETIRED

I’m all for letting bygones be bygones, but two guys I will never forgive Ronald Corey and Mario Tremblay. Rejean Houle, I’ll give a pass to. He was a good guy who was over his head, but should never have been hired.

Done as part of image change attempt by Roy to get an NHL job?

bit of revisionist history from Mario?  I had read that the roommate experience was one of the reasons Mario didn’t like Roy from his rookie days.

https://www.tsn.ca/it-s-nice-to-be-back-together-again-patrick-roy-and-mario-tremblay-on-reunion-and-reconciliation-1.1646448

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Figures... sold out hasbeens ...

They were 2 of my favourite players when they played for the Habs, both highly competitive which is why they were successful on the ice. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and think they are not doing it just for the money. Time does heal most wounds.  Their highly competitive, emotional nature worked against them when trying to transition to a coach/GM role.  Guys like a Serge Savard who are calm and cool and smart are generally better suited to managerial roles. 

49 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They were 2 of my favourite players when they played for the Habs, both highly competitive which is why they were successful on the ice. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and think they are not doing it just for the money. Time does heal most wounds.  Their highly competitive, emotional nature worked against them when trying to transition to a coach/GM role.  Guys like a Serge Savard who are calm and cool and smart are generally better suited to managerial roles. 

In for the money:

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

In for the money:

Still ... its kinda funny

Mind....blown.  Unless Patrick has had a string of bad investments decimate his portfolio, I can't imagine why he would do this.  If I were him, I'd shit on Tremblay every chance I got to this day, let alone being that close to him without taking a swing.

4 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Mind....blown.  Unless Patrick has had a string of bad investments decimate his portfolio, I can't imagine why he would do this.  If I were him, I'd shit on Tremblay every chance I got to this day, let alone being that close to him without taking a swing.

He sort of did ... Mario teases him about his goalie when the table hockey game is 9-1 and Patrick responds with 'I think he has a couple more championships left in him'.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

You can live the rest of your life being angry at someone for a bad coaching decision and continue to be a victim or you can be a bigger person and move on. Patrick made the mature decision. I watched the interview they had with John Lu, it was enjoyable to watch, a couple former intense hockey players who have both grown up. Some of you guys make it sound like Mario committed a capital offense.  

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You can live the rest of your life being angry at someone for a bad coaching decision and continue to be a victim or you can be a bigger person and move on. Patrick made the mature decision. I watched the interview they had with John Lu, it was enjoyable to watch, a couple former intense hockey players who have both grown up. Some of you guys make it sound like Mario committed a capital offense.  

Good for them that they kissed and made up. Roy has made no secret of the fact that hates the way he left the Habs - even hints at feeling ashamed of how that went down. But why should I, as a Habs fan - and now a long-suffering Habs fan - have to forgive Mario Tremblay? He was a disgrace as a coach and his hugely inflated ego refused to work with arguably the greatest goalie of all time. His precious ego set the stage for the most disastrous trade in Habs’ history and one that crippled the franchise for years to come. F**k him.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good for them that they kissed and made up. Roy has made no secret of the fact that hates the way he left the Habs - even hints at feeling ashamed of how that went down. But why should I, as a Habs fan - and now a long-suffering Habs fan - have to forgive Mario Tremblay? He was a disgrace as a coach and his hugely inflated ego refused to work with arguably the greatest goalie of all time. His precious ego set the stage for the most disastrous trade in Habs’ history and one that crippled the franchise for years to come. F**k him.

That situation could have been handled a whole lot better if the Habs had the right people in management.  That's why I worry about another Rejean Houle experiment if MB is gone this year.  Mario Tremblay wasn't the only one with a big ego here. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That situation could have been handled a whole lot better if the Habs had the right people in management.  That's why I worry about another Rejean Houle experiment if MB is gone this year.  Mario Tremblay wasn't the only one with a big ego here. 

I agree with Habs29’s initial assessment. Houle is by all accounts a nice guy. The portrait of him in Dryden’s The Game suggests a chronically insecure but basically decent person. I found it sad when, during the 2009 celebrations, he was quoted as being very worried the fans would boo him for having been such a terrible GM. (Montreal fans, rising to the occasion as they usually do, of course warmly applauded him).

He was a case of guy elevated to a level way beyond his competence. And then, instead of having time to learn the role, he was handed a franchise-shattering crisis and had to make the trade. He never should have been offered the job, or taken it; but the whole thing was unfair to him.

The other big ego in the story, apart from Roy’s and Tremblay’s, was Corey’s. Of the three, Roy was the only one entitled to it based on his deeds.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Patrick Stewart and Mark Hamill have way more money than Patrick Roy and they did Uber Eats commercials.

Uber Eats is apparently paying some good money. 

• Upvote 1

I think that if you asked anyone with a psychology background, letting go and forgiving, are the best things you can do for yourself. I'm sure they don't think about "that game" constantly,  but why hang onto hatred and bitterness. Uber eats paycheck is most certainly the reason for this reconciliation. The side benefit is potentially improved mental health for both of them. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Patrick Stewart and Mark Hamill have way more money than Patrick Roy and they did Uber Eats commercials.

Uber Eats is apparently paying some good money. 

Patrick Stewart is definitely the wealthiest of the three, but Mark Hamill is a distant third on that list. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He did. Sent us to the friggin darkest time of our history and I’ll never forgive him how he ruined the team. It wasn’t just Roy. Turgeon was out as well.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed. F*ck Mario. Hated his comments as a colour guy/analyst too.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I’d say it was more Corey and Tremblay. Houle was over his head, but otherwise seems like a decent guy. Tremblay and Corey were pricks. Let’s not forget we moved Carbonneau, Chelios, Turgeon for dumb reasons as well (some of which predate Houle).

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He did. Sent us to the friggin darkest time of our history and I’ll never forgive him how he ruined the team. It wasn’t just Roy. Turgeon was out as well.

You make it sound like Patrick was totally blameless.  He had a bad game, Mario should have likely pulled him earlier.  He wasn't a great coach.  Reggie wasn't a great GM. There is a lot of blame to go around there. 

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d say it was more Corey and Tremblay. Houle was over his head, but otherwise seems like a decent guy. Tremblay and Corey were pricks. Let’s not forget we moved Carbonneau, Chelios, Turgeon for dumb reasons as well (some of which predate Houle).

Rejean Houle was/is a really decent guy, no question he was in over his head.  None of us really know what goes on behind closed doors. Trading Chelios was a horrible trade, he was a warrior.  That was Savard that traded him, not sure how that is relevant to this conversation. 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I think that if you asked anyone with a psychology background, letting go and forgiving, are the best things you can do for yourself. I'm sure they don't think about "that game" constantly,  but why hang onto hatred and bitterness. Uber eats paycheck is most certainly the reason for this reconciliation. The side benefit is potentially improved mental health for both of them. 

Exactly, they likely both wanted to bury the hatchet, Uber provided that opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Rejean Houle was/is a really decent guy, no question he was in over his head.  None of us really know what goes on behind closed doors. Trading Chelios was a horrible trade, he was a warrior.  That was Savard that traded him, not sure how that is relevant to this conversation. 

Ronald Corey. Savard later said he didn’t want to make the trade. Same with Carbonneau after fingergate. Habs captains aren’t allowed to do that.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ronald Corey. Savard later said he didn’t want to make the trade. Same with Carbonneau after fingergate. Habs captains aren’t allowed to do that.

I was never impressed with Corey. Trading for a guy because he is French can have bad consequences. (ie.  Chelios, Sergachev)

Worst trades in Canadiens history: Chelios deal haunts Serge Savard (msn.com)