Game 6 - Leafs vs Habs 7:30PM ET

JoeLassister

6 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

You have a habit of name calling I've noticed. It's not an accepted thing in this forum.

No doubt.  

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

We dont have to call other posters stupid or moronic.  I come on here to have fun and talk hockey.. not to read insults.  Im done with that guy.

My 1st thought was its choice that he of all people is calling somebody a Troll.

4 hours ago, DON said:

I agree with some of this for sure.

And is just pretty trivial entertainment we are talking about here.

I dont agree with anything he said, and pretty much ever.  

ex:  "20 year old jumps into league during intense playoff race, after division realignment has made every team very aware of each other and manages to score at 32g/82game pace."

Caufield is merely just a 20 year old is he?  Thats interesting because I had heard that he was referred to as the highest scoring player that wasn't in the NHL.  Then he comes in, during the reg season and was on pace for 32g/yr, which isnt bad by any means.  Can't complain there.  However,  that is not up to par for a player that is hyped as being the highest scoring guy not in the NHL.  Then, if you add his 5 playoff games to that and calculate his goal pace then its 22g/yr.  Is 22 g/yr reason to celebrate from a prospect that was deemed the best goal scorer not in the NHL? 

ex:  Mathews set a goal record for Team USA Under 20, does he score a lot of goals in the NHL?  Caulfield beat his record, but hows his NHL goals compared to Mathews?  So far, it is unarguable that there is no comparison there.  

Well at 22g/yr he has already turned out being the most successful 1st rnd pick the Habs have had in decades - hence the entire problem.   Therefore, I still say it would be cooler if Caufield had gotten a few more goals by now, especially a multi goal game.

Hopefully, he'll open the flood gates tonight and get 2.    

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I disagree with you.  30 goals for a rookie would be excellent.

Im not going to call you names over.it though 

Yes, I absolutely agree with you that 30g for a rookie is great.  However, those rookies are not referred to as the best scorer not in the NHL.  For a rookie dubbed that more than 22-32g/yr would be good to see.  

Am I really the only 1 on this forum that wants to see him get 50g/yr?  

Realistically, how many goals do you think he should average/year?  

35 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yes, I absolutely agree with you that 30g for a rookie is great.  However, those rookies are not referred to as the best scorer not in the NHL.  For a rookie dubbed that more than 22-32g/yr would be good to see.  

Am I really the only 1 on this forum that wants to see him get 50g/yr?  

Realistically, how many goals do you think he should average/year?  

Sure I’d live to aeee him get 50. I wouldn’t expect him to do it in his first or 2nd year. I’d also be very happy with a consistent 30 goal scorer though!  Let’s give the kid a full season of what he can do in the NHL before we write him down for 50!!! How many 50 goals scorers are there in the league??? There have also been numerous players called the best players not yet in the NHL and they didn’t even score 20 when they got into the NHL.  Hell, there are #1 draft picks from the last few years that haven’t scored 20 yet!!

I think you have unrealistic expectations. 

Kaprizov was also known as the best scorer outside the NHL.  He's four years older than Caufield.  He's also spent years in the KHL playing against men, which isn't what Caufield did, he was in the NCAA. He put up 24 goals this year which would be 39 in a full season..  Add in his 2g in 7 playoff games (as you did) and he'd be at 37.

yeah i'd like him to hit 50 in a career season, to hit 35-45 each year in his prime.  If he hits his ceiling that would be great.

That said he's 20 years old.  You gotta give the kid time to develop that. 

You can't look down on a 20 year old, playing against men for the first time and scoring 4 goals in 10 games.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Sure I’d live to aeee him get 50. I wouldn’t expect him to do it in his first or 2nd year. I’d also be very happy with a consistent 30 goal scorer though!  Let’s give the kid a full season of what he can do in the NHL before we write him down for 50!!! How many 50 goals scorers are there in the league??? There have also been numerous players called the best players not yet in the NHL and they didn’t even score 20 when they got into the NHL.  Hell, there are #1 draft picks from the last few years that haven’t scored 20 yet!!

Yup, I agree with your assessment. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think you have unrealistic expectations. 

Kaprizov was also known as the best scorer outside the NHL.  He's four years older than Caufield.  He's also spent years in the KHL playing against men, which isn't what Caufield did, he was in the NCAA. He put up 24 goals this year which would be 39 in a full season..  Add in his 2g in 7 playoff games (as you did) and he'd be at 37.

yeah i'd like him to hit 50 in a career season, to hit 35-45 each year in his prime.  If he hits his ceiling that would be great.

That said he's 20 years old.  You gotta give the kid time to develop that. 

You can't look down on a 20 year old, playing against men for the first time and scoring 4 goals in 10 games.

I dont think my expectations are unrealistic at all considering what many people have said about his scoring ability.   He should always get over 40, and be in the high 40's and break 50 numerous times in his career.   

A big part of me wanting to see him have a bit more production is due to prolific scorers generally dont need time to perfect their shots.  i.e. they already are wicked shooters.  If they need time, its typically for their defense.  I'm not criticizing him, he could easily be a 50 g/yr guy, my point is it would be a lot cooler if he already was.  Players that get 40+ goals do so by having multi goal games and getting hattricks.  

Heres another example:  kk, ya, he could turn out being a 60 pts Selke winner in another 2-4 years, but wouldnt it be cooler if he already was?  Who wouldnt want to see that, right now or already? No, people would disagree with that and prefer to wait?

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id love for him to already be that player.

I just dont think its realistic to expect, nor do i think less of him as a prospect for not being that

Some analyst was guessing that he's trying to be too perfect with his shot in the NHL, instead of just shooting. 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Id love for him to already be that player.

I just dont think its realistic to expect, nor do i think less of him as a prospect for not being that

I agree.

As a rookie, 25 goals would be an exceptional season ... its not that it is impossible that he could score more, just that it is unrealistic to expect more ... if all goes well as he develops I see him as a potential 30-35 goal scorer, with possible gusts to 40 ... even 30-35 goals as a norm would make him one of the Habs best scorers in decades.