Habs-Jets Series Discussion Thread

Trizzak

Our powerplay finally might make some sense: Gustafsson, our best puck mover, with our three best scoring options - Suzuki, Toffoli and Caufield - along with a shifty net-front presence in Perry.  I still think we should leave Caufield out for the full two minutes.

I don't think leaning so hard on Weber and Chiarot is sustainable, but hell it somehow got us this far.  It'd be fun to see Romanov in this series.

2 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Gonna be a formidable opponent. 

Hellebuyck is no Jack Campbell

ya, its unarguable that Hellebuyck is hellagood so Price will have to continue to play great.  

Danault will have to keep the Jets top scorers contained, but that should easier task for him than the Leafs were.  

I love Evans. The guy skates hard, he was dropped into a position he hasn't played at an NHL level before, played a ton of minutes in that new role, and helped shut down a huge offensive threat...

But I really don't think he should be playing with Danault and Gallagher against the Jets. Byron might work out there (or try hypnotizing Tatar into thinking it's a regular season game.) Evans should be stapled to the bottom 6.

Like the Leafs, Jets have two very good scoring lines.. but less finesse and more heavy.. this is a series where the Habs speed needs to be on full display.

I like our chances. 

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I love Evans. The guy skates hard, he was dropped into a position he hasn't played at an NHL level before, played a ton of minutes in that new role, and helped shut down a huge offensive threat...

But I really don't think he should be playing with Danault and Gallagher against the Jets. Byron might work out there (or try hypnotizing Tatar into thinking it's a regular season game.) Evans should be stapled to the bottom 6.

Lehkonen might be an option, too, he works well with Danault.

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Lehkonen might be an option, too, he works well with Danault.

I am curious on how much Tatar will play against the Jets.

Speed may be the best way to beat them and we may not see as much of Staal this series, which moves Evans to that spot

3 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Like the Leafs, Jets have two very good scoring lines.. but less finesse and more heavy.. this is a series where the Habs speed needs to be on full display.

I like our chances. 

Speed will be key ... or course against a "heavier" team the Rocks of Gibraltar (Huge and immobile) defence may be somewhat less effective

8 hours ago, Neech said:

Our powerplay finally might make some sense: Gustafsson, our best puck mover, with our three best scoring options - Suzuki, Toffoli and Caufield - along with a shifty net-front presence in Perry.  I still think we should leave Caufield out for the full two minutes.

I don't think leaning so hard on Weber and Chiarot is sustainable, but hell it somehow got us this far.  It'd be fun to see Romanov in this series.

The challenge with Gustafsson would be that, even if he is helping the PP, if the 3rd pairing actually has to play 14-18 minutes like most other second round teams, especially if it is as an actual third pairing, then Erik could well be exposed.

Well who ever came up with the game plan to box Toronto out and keep them

Out of the slot and middle of the net should get a lot of credit. That change the out come of the series. 

I think if they play the same way with the same game plan it could work in this one too. But the jets are a more balanced attack team then Toronto. 

Why would anyone consider moving Evans from that line right now? 

A) they just completly shut down arguanly the best offensive duo in  hockey

B) gally got off the snide

C) it offers 2 faceoff men

D) Evans has arguably been our best skater over the 2 games hes been on the line

E) Tatar who?

F) all of the above

Don't break what isn't broke. If it isn't working against the jets then ok... but, let's wait a second here.

I was freakin on Staal for dumping that puck on the 3on2 but he had a great game 7. Maybe it pays to have Stanley cup championship experience after all!

Quietly, Edmundson has been a beast and such a savvy pick up! That's a playoff Dman Right there.

Chairot bounced back the last 3 games as well. And poor Weber... everyone bashes him and here he is playing 30 plus minutes a game... hurt wrist and all...

My fkn Habs... luv it

18 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

IMG_20210601_083223_890.jpg

What a series by this guy!!!!

For all the stress... he really came to play this series.

Habs are virtually unbeatable when they spot him 3 goals!

This belongs in the Louvre. 

• Like 1

We're not too badly banged up at the moment. Drouin is likely done for the season, and Merrill probably not ready for any of the Jets series at least. So, that leaves one F (currently Lehkonen) and one D (currently Romanov) in reserve, until we need to raid the Rocket piggy bank.

At the Rocket, Poehling is injured. Vejdemo or Ylonen would likely be at the top of the list -- or Weal -- for F. On D, probably Ouellet or Leskinen. Neither ideal, but mot likely third-pairing D will see only light usage from here on out.

Belzile played well as an energy 4th liner

on D, Ouellet is the only option trusted by the coaches... but I do not want to see him play

Gustafson played well in sheltered minutes with Weber. I liked that pair in game 7

In the first round, I had the Habs in 7.  This series I am feeling will end in 6. Whoever is winning 3-2 shall conquer.

Truthfully, I am not as confident as I was prior to the Leafs series but I have faith.

I was disappointed with the results vs Jets all season. Felt we out played them but lost a few we should have won. 

Figure it balances now

Habs in 5