Habs-Jets Series Discussion Thread

Trizzak

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Belzile played well as an energy 4th liner

on D, Ouellet is the only option trusted by the coaches... but I do not want to see him play

None are good enough to replace someone now in the lineup. But if we have injuries, we may yet have to call up someone from Laval.

Belzile played two NHL games this year, Ylonen and Vejdemo none at all. On D, Ouellet played six, Leskinen one and Fleury none. For the most part, Ducharme will need to rely on input from Bouchard, I think, the sample sizes are too small, with the exception of Ouellet. (Fleury did play 41 games last season but it won't reflect any progress this season.)

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

None are good enough to replace someone now in the lineup. But if we have injuries, we may yet have to call up someone from Laval.

Belzile played two NHL games this year, Ylonen and Vejdemo none at all. On D, Ouellet played six, Leskinen one and Fleury none. For the most part, Ducharme will need to rely on input from Bouchard, I think, the sample sizes are too small, with the exception of Ouellet. (Fleury did play 41 games last season but it won't reflect any progress this season.)

Ylonen played 1 NHL game this year.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ylonen played 1 NHL game this year.

You're right, I forgot about that! Still a pretty small sample size, though.

But if one of these kids can pull off a Cam Connor I'm all for it! :D

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

At the Rocket, Poehling is injured. Vejdemo or Ylonen would likely be at the top of the list -- or Weal -- for F.

Weal is not with the team so he won't be an option if a bunch of injuries hit.

Jets will destroy us in game 1.  It will be ugly.  They are rested and ready.  Habs are exhausted but more importantly game 1 after winning game 7 is always an emotional hangover.

Habs come back though.  Win game 2 and take the series in 6.

8 hours ago, Neech said:

Ridiculously condensed schedule for the Habs. Our top-4 are already running on fumes.

In part to make up for the delay in starting the Leafs series, which advantaged the Habs, so as to not fall too far behind the US-based series

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Jets will destroy us in game 1.  It will be ugly.  They are rested and ready.  Habs are exhausted but more importantly game 1 after winning game 7 is always an emotional hangover.

If the Habs lose many will blame it on their having just played two nights ago and the defence having been played into exhaustion ... if they win it will be because they were "in the groove" having played just two nights ago and having no rust to knock off.

I think this will be a more entertaining series ... IMO there was just not the usual playoff intensity in the last series ... I expect this round to be more reminiscent of the Boston or Quebec series of the past (not that matching but closer).

I’m not a fan of Habs having 2 series in a row with back to back games in the playoffs.  I may be wrong but from the end of the season until the start of the Toronto series, didn’t the Leafs have 4 days off?  How is it better to give the leafs extra days off at the end of the season to condense the playoff schedule?  They could of started the Habs leafs series on the Tuesday, instead of Thursday and alleviated the first back to back game in the series.

As it stands now, the winner of the Jets-Habs series would have to sweep to have really any shot at not playing again 2 night later regardless of the series lengths in the US.  I would imagine either the government would waive the quarantine for cross boarder play by then, or the Canadian team would goto the US and not have to quarantine anyway.

32 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I’m not a fan of Habs having 2 series in a row with back to back games in the playoffs.

Hey, can also look at it another way; in just 5 days the Habs could be moving on and meet the Aves.:popcorn:

30 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I’m not a fan of Habs having 2 series in a row with back to back games in the playoffs.  I may be wrong but from the end of the season until the start of the Toronto series, didn’t the Leafs have 4 days off?  How is it better to give the leafs extra days off at the end of the season to condense the playoff schedule?  They could of started the Habs leafs series on the Tuesday, instead of Thursday and alleviated the first back to back game in the series.

As it stands now, the winner of the Jets-Habs series would have to sweep to have really any shot at not playing again 2 night later regardless of the series lengths in the US.  I would imagine either the government would waive the quarantine for cross boarder play by then, or the Canadian team would goto the US and not have to quarantine anyway.

My belief is that it was all TV related ... perhaps the regional Canadian TV deals versus the National Rogers deal (that includes the entire playoffs) meant the regular season games had to be played before the playoff contract kicked in ... OR ... Rogers didn't want any competition for their playoff broadcasts.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Hey, can also look at it another way; in just 5 days the Habs could be moving on and meet the Aves.:popcorn:

A series against the VGK would be more dramatic but Indo not think the re-seeding works for that to happen

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

Marinaro today was asking the question if Allen should start because of what you are saying. 

Price is starting I’m sure and he should but it is an interesting idea

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

My belief is that it was all TV related ... perhaps the regional Canadian TV deals versus the National Rogers deal (that includes the entire playoffs) meant the regular season games had to be played before the playoff contract kicked in ... OR ... Rogers didn't want any competition for their playoff broadcasts.

The NHL wanted to finish the regular season before the playoffs in our division started.  I don't know why but they chose to do it that way even though it made for a condensed first-round schedule.  (The games were played in the afternoon so there was no potential TV conflict.)  It's also worth noting that WPG and EDM had a back-to-back in their series, the final two games.

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

I absolutely agree with your Game 1 prediction.  However, I think the Habs will lose the 1st and possibly the 2nd game and then they will win 4 straight games. The Jets haven't lost a playoff game yet, so as soon as they do, if its by 3 or more goals, I'm hoping they collapse.   The Habs need to get into the Jets heads and convince them that there is nothing they can do to score and that they have no chance of winning. 

The Habs will have to prevent the Jets from battling back in any game when the Habs are leading.  ex:  Habs score 1st 2 goals, Jets score, then Habs score again, repeat that process.  They will need to get every goal back, and quickly.  

This will be a goaltenders series,  and a lot of the Habs goals wont look pretty but Perry, Gally, Anderson and Staal are up to the challenge.  Hopefully, we will see a few great snipes from the dynamic duo of Suzuki and Caufield, and kk keeps scoring too.  

DeMelo out for at least a week for Winnipeg.  That's a big loss on their back end - he's not a big minutes-eater but he is one of their better shutdown guys.  Perhaps Jordie Benn will get to play against his old team after all.

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Stastny made the trip to Montreal and is likely to play tomorrow.

According to Murat Ates, the Jets' staff writer on the Athletic, the quote from Maurice was "We’ve got some confidence going into the other team’s building and there’s a chance we might get Paul (Stastny) back, which will probably help our group up front."

Not quite 100%, then.

Stastny took the morning skate for Winnipeg today which certainly suggests he'll be ready tonight.  Of course, with it being a back-to-back tomorrow, will he be able to play both games?

No expected lineup changes for the Habs.