Habs-Jets Series Discussion Thread

Trizzak

4 hours ago, revvvrob said:

it’s if Petry can’t or shouldn’t play, THEN now is the time. Certainly before Ouelette or before rushing Merrill back into play. 
Romanov should be the next to draw in. 

Why? Not saying i wouldnt "like" to see him dressed; but.

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

I can't beleive that they would play Ouellet ahead of Romanov. The difference between the two players is huge (in favor of Romanov). 

Defensively Romanov isnt as good and he hasnt shown any offense, yet.

So why are you so certain he is so much better, at this point in development?

Defense is simply much harder to play than forward and he has alot to learn?

Again, i really hope he plays, but i am simply a fan and no risk to say so and if he coughs up game changing turnover, not my job on the line.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

his mobility helped him during the regular season, as well as his cardio.

but that is not  enough for the playoffs

This is what I am thinking. Ducharme may view him as ready for the regular season but not yet for the playoffs. That doesn't mean they have given up on him, though.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Why? Not saying i wouldnt "like" to see him dressed; but.

Defensively Romanov isnt as good and he hasnt shown any offense, yet.

So why are you so certain he is so much better, at this point in development?

Defense is simply much harder to play than forward and he has alot to learn?

Again, i really hope he plays, but i am simply a fan and no risk to say so and if he coughs up game changing turnover, not my job on the line.

Thing is 

- you don’t let Mete go for nothing if Romanov could have gone to the AHL

- you don’t burn a year so he can watch games in a bubble last playoff if Romanov is that bad

- you don’t play Romanov 54 games this season while Ouelette is in the AHL if Ouelette is better than Romanov

- if Romanov needed coaching/development, you play him in the AHL

i just think either he mouthed off or refused to follow coach’s directions or is part of a future massive trade (as commandant wildly speculated) … I can’t see any other reason possible if Ouelette passes him on the depth chart. I was struggling enough as it was thinking Merrill and Gustafson and Kulak are actually ahead of him too 

2 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Thing is 

- you don’t let Mete go for nothing if Romanov could have gone to the AHL

- you don’t burn a year so he can watch games in a bubble last playoff if Romanov is that bad

- you don’t play Romanov 54 games this season while Ouelette is in the AHL if Ouelette is better than Romanov

- if Romanov needed coaching/development, you play him in the AHL

i just think either he mouthed off or refused to follow coach’s directions or is part of a future massive trade (as commandant wildly speculated) … I can’t see any other reason possible if Ouelette passes him on the depth chart. I was struggling enough as it was thinking Merrill and Gustafson and Kulak are actually ahead of him too 

That theories of Romanov mounting off the coach is a mute point now :rolleyes: since he is playing 

what a great morning to be a Habs fan

(sorry for the poor video quality)

Edited by alfredoh2009

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That theories of Romanov mounting off the coach is a mute point now :rolleyes: since he is playing 

Until Petry is healthy.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Until Petry is healthy.

I have confidence that Ducharme will make the right choice -- to give the Habs the best chance of winning.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I was curious to see what the TV ratings in Canada were for the first two rounds to see the Toronto effect.  It's rather substantial, a bit more than I expected:

Ignoring the two elimination games for the Leafs, the Jets games were down 20-30% of the Leafs. It's actually a smaller gap than I expected.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ignoring the two elimination games for the Leafs, the Jets games were down 20-30% of the Leafs. It's actually a smaller gap than I expected.

I agree with you.  Montreal and Toronto are both much larger cities than Winnipeg, and they have a large coast to coast fan base.   The Jets do have fans outside of Winnipeg but their numbers arent comparable.  

The Leafs and Habs haven't faced each other in the playoffs in 42 years.  I'm more surprised that those numbers weren't higher.  Sure, Game 7 had close to 5 mil viewers, which sounds high, but thats only 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 Canadians.  

Looking at the numbers from both series it seems that the majority of viewers were very happy Habs fans.  

33 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Leafs and Habs haven't faced each other in the playoffs in 42 years.  I'm more surprised that those numbers weren't higher.  Sure, Game 7 had close to 5 mil viewers, which sounds high, but thats only 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 Canadians. 

Yeah. In Finland they'll get 50% of the country watching the hockey world championship final (assuming Finland is in), one in seven really isn't super high.

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah. In Finland they'll get 50% of the country watching the hockey world championship final (assuming Finland is in), one in seven really isn't super high.

I would have thought that the Habs Leafs series would have set record highs for NHL playoffs.  With Covid and lockdowns/closures there are a lot of people stuck at home with nothing to do.   Plus, the Leafs looked like they could win the Cup this year. 

Imagine the thought process:  your team hasnt won since 67, have the best team they've had in your lifetime, best chance of winning in 20 yrs, several star players, great depth, playing an old rival they havent played since 79.  Meh, and you dont watch it?   *All* Leafs fans should have been watching.

However, @alfredoh2009 made a great point that I didn't realize.  Those are just CBC/SN #'s, so it doesn't include people watching in French.  

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I would have thought that the Habs Leafs series would have set record highs for NHL playoffs.  With Covid and lockdowns/closures there are a lot of people stuck at home with nothing to do.   Plus, the Leafs looked like they could win the Cup this year. 

Imagine the thought process:  your team hasnt won since 67, have the best team they've had in your lifetime, best chance of winning in 20 yrs, several star players, great depth, playing an old rival they havent played since 79.  Meh, and you dont watch it?   *All* Leafs fans should have been watching.

However, @alfredoh2009 made a great point that I didn't realize.  Those are just CBC/SN #'s, so it doesn't include people watching in French.  

I have an old friend who is a Leafs fan. I don’t think he watched one game - even when the team was up 3-1, he couldn’t shake the sense of impending doom. 😁

16 hours ago, tomh009 said:

A one game final in a tournament is also a lot different from a 7 game series. It is more comparable to a SuperBowl in the US, where 1/3 of people are watching. You've also got a national pride factor with an international tournament. Canada gets over 50% viewership of the Olympic finals when they are in it, I believe.

Football in the US is comparable to hockey in Canada in terms of being the top sport. With one game playoff rounds, there is definitely more of an "event" factor than you'll get with a 7 game series. Even so, the conference championship games last year each got under 45 million viewers. That's in the 1/8 range for a pair of 3.5 hour games, so a 7 game series averaging 1/7 viewers is still major viewership.

10 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

A one game final in a tournament is also a lot different from a 7 game series. It is more comparable to a SuperBowl in the US, where 1/3 of people are watching. You've also got a national pride factor with an international tournament. Canada gets over 50% viewership of the Olympic finals when they are in it, I believe.

Quite right. Still, the deciding Game 7 of Habs-Leafs was only 5M -- the deciding game in a rare series. Even if you just include Ontario and Quebec, it's about 25% of the population. I would have expected higher (mind you, the French viewership numbers would bump that up a bit).

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not that I needed more excitement but I love this too. Invited by Bergevin and Ducharme

I was hoping to hear from the great, great Bob Gainey. 

40 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

Winnipeg lost the moral right to win anything with the Sheifele cowardice. 

Just 1 player, they mostly took the sweep as well as can be expected, one of them refused the usual and actually gave kudos to the Habs play, cant remember which one it was but :thumbs_up:.

Scheifle still feels hard done by and unjustly treated by the NHL. That really speaks poorly to his character, that he thinks a vicious, premeditated assault causing brain damage did not deserve a significant suspension. A fine player but a terrible human being.