Round 2, Game 1 Habs vs Jets 7:30PM ET

JoeLassister

It is not an Yvonne game yet and I hope that we don’t wate her charm on this game

but any occasion is good to see old favourites. Here is one 

image.jpeg

TIL the Avro Arrow was a promising Canadian aviation project that quickly devolved into a bureaucratic nightmare, red tape and a long line of people questioning “what could have been.”

Tonight, the CH will begin firmly cementing that legacy.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Stastny is a game time decision for the Jets.

Sincerely gimps that second line which is frigging great. 

I hope we have game 7 jump instead of a hangover. I would understand if we look like crap tonight but a strong physical game will go a long way 

I’ll be surprised - and impressed - if they bring their A game tonight. Just as a fan, I feel my energy level/intensity drop when I think of this game...it will be tough to flip that switch.

Show up and win!

Habs should have tons of momentum after the Leafs series. The Kids should be flying and this series has Toffoli and Anderson written all over it. 

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ducharme says no lineup changes, so Lehkonen and Romanov are still out.

And Lehkonen is confirmed to be a healthy scratch, so the same as Romanov.

As much as I hate having to manage Gustafsson's minute for PP time, the last couple Leafs games showed what a working PP could do.  I would keep Romanov off the is in place of Gustafsson until at least the other unit starts to produce, then it'll make it harder to keep Romanov off the ice.  The kid needs playoff experience.

57 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

As much as I hate having to manage Gustafsson's minute for PP time, the last couple Leafs games showed what a working PP could do.  I would keep Romanov off the is in place of Gustafsson until at least the other unit starts to produce, then it'll make it harder to keep Romanov off the ice.  The kid needs playoff experience.

Catch 22: if they keep winning, there is no need to play Romanov; if they loose, is Romanov the saviour ?

I think he draws in if there is an injury to a LD

—-

he can get playoff experience next year

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

And Lehkonen is confirmed to be a healthy scratch, so the same as Romanov.

Good news to read he is healthy. 
He can come in on the back to back

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

The Habs scored 3 PP goals in the last two games.  He was only involved in one of them.

Game 6

He was on the ice for the Perry goal but never touched the puck.  Suzuki won the faceoff to Toffoli... Toffoli passed it to Caufield who onetimed it on net... there was a scramble and Perry put it in.  Gus just stood at the point the whole time and never touched it.

He wasn't on the ice for the 5 on 3 goal.  Petry and Weber were the point men.

Game 7

He got an assist passing to Suzuki on the Perry goal.

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Man, that’s harsh 

Yep, working for the Leafs is harsh all right.  

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Habs scored 3 PP goals in the last two games.  He was only involved in one of them.

Game 7

He got an assist passing to Suzuki on the Perry goal.

Well,  that is 1 way to view it.  However, I prefer to view it as Gustofsson's involvement on that goal won the series.  i.e. that lone goal that Gustafsson was involved with was the game series winning goal.  i.e. they absolutely needed that goal because without it, when Nylander scored it would have been a 1-1 game.  Wthout that 2nd goal the Leafs wouldnt have pulled their goalie for Toffoli to score the Habs 3rd goal.    That goal made a huge difference in the out come of that game.  

I even rewatched that sequence and it was wicked.  i.e. Gustafsson was at mid ice by the blueline, he passed to Caufield who tried to go towards the goal line along the boards,  but the Leafs player was there so he passed to Toffoli, who was near the hashmark who riffled the puck at the net but barely missed.  Had Toffoli's shot been on net it would have been a goal, and Gustofsson would have gotten an Assist. 

The puck was recovered by Caulfield, who passed it back to Gustafsson, who passed it back to Caufield, who again passed it to Toffoli.  However, that time Toffoli was covered by 2 Leafs.  I was actually wrong in the game thread, because it was Toffoli and not Caufield who does a no look backwards pass to Gustafsson.  Gustafsson didnt even think to shoot it because he didnt look at the net, he instantly passed the puck right over to a wide open Suzuki.  Gustafsson was thinking to try twice on the left side and if that didnt work send it to the right side to Suzuki.  That entire sequence was absolutely beautiful on his part.  

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree he had a big role in the PP goal in game 7.

I just dont think he had any PP impact in game 6 on those goals.

You're right, he wasn't involved in the Game 6 PPG's.  I still think he had a positive affect though.  It's really weird, but they do seem to have a better winning % in games that he plays in vs their games without him.  Somehow, his presence seems to improve the team.  

It was super funny for me in that Game 7 PPG because it was like I was reading Gustafsson mind.  It was like I saw that happening before it happened.  i.e. the 2nd time he passed Caulfield the puck I totally knew that he would get the puck back and would pass to Suzuki.  I was anticipating Suzuki doing his usual killer shot from that area and scoring.  I wasn't paying any attention at all to where or what Perry was doing.  I was confused when I saw a bunch of replies saying that Perry had scored.  

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The puck was recovered by Caulfield, who passed it back to Gustafsson, who passed it back to Caufield, who again passed it to Toffoli.  However, that time Toffoli was covered by 2 Leafs.  I was actually wrong in the game thread, because it was Toffoli and not Caufield who does a no look backwards pass to Gustafsson.  Gustafsson didnt even think to shoot it because he didnt look at the net, he instantly passed the puck right over to a wide open Suzuki.  Gustafsson was thinking to try twice on the left side and if that didnt work send it to the right side to Suzuki.  That entire sequence was absolutely beautiful on his part.  

You described exactly what they like in him with that paragraph.  When the puck goes to the point, the movement often stops.  Petry, in particular, slows it down, then looks to shoot or fakes before going back and forth with someone and everything stagnates.  I think Gustafsson had three touches on the PPG sequence and the puck wasn't on his stick for more than a half second combined.  Get it, move it, and let the movement create the opening as the defenders mess up.  Gustafsson does that element quite well.  The defensive zone is another animal but that's the different dimension he brings to the power play and it's one they really lack.