Round 2, Game 1 Habs vs Jets 7:30PM ET

JoeLassister

Well, I had to skip this one. A startlingly good result on the scoreboard - I wasn’t expecting that. But I’m not sorry I missed the game, because I don’t have the stomach to watch a young man’s brains being bashed out in real time. 

I didn’t know Schleifle was that kind of player/human being. 

And sadly I have zero confidence in the NHL to do the right thing. Much will probably depend on ridiculous factors like whether Evans has a reputation as mouthy kid who doesn’t know his place, or as a Good Kid who Plays the Right Way.  

1 hour ago, huzer said:

My expectation from the league is $5000 or 1 game. Hearing today, but not in person, so we know it won't be longer than 5 games (which I don't think anyone expected anyway).

I see the tweet about the hearing, but it doesn't say if it's in person or not.  Does that mean it's for sure not an in-person meeting?  By in-person I mean virtual meeting these days.

4 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I see the tweet about the hearing, but it doesn't say if it's in person or not.  Does that mean it's for sure not an in-person meeting?  By in-person I mean virtual meeting these days.

Its not an inperson meeting.  Multiple reporters have confirmed this. 

3 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Correct, it's a phone hearing, not in-person/zoom. That means max possible suspension is 5 games.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its not an inperson meeting.  Multiple reporters have confirmed this. 

3 minutes ago, huzer said:

Correct, it's a phone hearing, not in-person/zoom. That means max possible suspension is 5 games.

Thanks, I didn't know.

They don't hand out fines in these hearings, so I would imagine 1-3 games if I were betting I would say 2.  No history, but man, Scheifele's face after the hit tells a story, he's not concerned for what he did or anything, he's wired.  If it's accidental most players show some form of remorse after it happened, Scheifele looked jacked up.

First of all I really hope Evans is ok (like we all do) he seems like a fine young man who paid his dues to be a pro player and unfortunately he has had bad concussions before. He made a hockey play likely knowing he was going to get hit (not trashed), he is a brave young man.

The way I see it Scheifele does not have a history of this type of play and will likely get around 2 games. Evans was in a vulnerable position (no way he couldn't be vulnerable making a play like that) and Scheifele took full advantage hitting him at full speed. A total lack of respect. 

The big negative thing this did for Winnipeg was to wake up a Montreal team that was likely going to be a little tired going into game 2.  The Leafs won 3 in a row after Tavares went down and that was totally accidental. 

10 minutes ago, huzer said:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2021/6/3/22476509/mark-scheifele-to-have-hearing-for-hit-on-jake-evans-dops-discipline-suspension-canadiens-jets

I hope they can put this behind them and focus only on game. Dont need Edmundson, after playing a solid game to be running around looking for trouble.

The league won’t take him out of the series… too much of a star.. sad the way league operates but we all know it..they will give him a couple games at most. 

the first hab that takes revenge will have the book thrown at them…

7 minutes ago, brobin said:

The league won’t take him out of the series… too much of a star.. sad the way league operates but we all know it..they will give him a couple games at most. 

the first hab that takes revenge will have the book thrown at them…

He will be suspended, even local Winnipeg press called it a "predatory" hit, but a game or two is my guess, but i only saw in real time and still not interested in seeing again.

11 minutes ago, DON said:

He will be suspended, even local Winnipeg press called it a "predatory" hit, but a game or two is my guess, but i only saw in real time and still not interested in seeing again.

It was a classless hit ... but I am not as certain it was purely predatory ... unlike, for example Hunter on Turgeon, I think Schleifle's initial objective was to prevent Evans from being able to get all the way out from behind the net to tuck the puck into the net ... but once Schleifle saw the puck would be going into the net, his frustration took over and he went into full "crazy @$$hole" mode ... the hit then became Hunter-ish... it makes absolutely no difference to the result but it does to circumstances for the suspension ... I think it should be the maximum "phone call" 5 games.

Before this comes down as the slap on the wrist it will be, I want to say that NHL Players Safety should not be under the NHL governors but should be a board run by the union, with the players, not the leagues interests being considered.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Before this comes down as the slap on the wrist it will be, I want to say that NHL Players Safety should not be under the NHL governors but should be a board run by the union, with the players, not the leagues interests being considered.

offenders are union players too...

Just now, JoeLassister said:

offenders are union players too...

Yes, but if a committee was formed with a rep from each team to hand out discipline, the players interests and concerns for safety would be forefront in all actions. As it stands the leagues interests, which are purely financial, are being protected with a farce of a system. There is no consistency. Let the players handle it. Not a clown who owes his job to the league and their interests.

Discipline should be handled by a panel of three

Ex-player

Ex-ref

Independent person with arbitration or legal experience 

The system as it has lead to a brawl filled game already this season. I thought that was supposed to be leaving the game. If the league doesn't fix their issue, we will see more players feeling the need to settle scores on the ice. I tell you now, if there is no suspension there will be a scrap off the draw in game 2. Does the league just miss fighting?

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Discipline should be handled by a panel of three

Ex-player

Ex-ref

Independent person with arbitration or legal experience 

I would tweak that a bit

1 NHL nominee,

1 NHLPA nominee, and 

1 jointly agreed upon former ref or linesman

Then, have a three person panel of arbitration experts ... the same 1/1/1 composition ... for appeals

53 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

The union protects the offenders so they don't lose salary. 

47 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Yes, but if a committee was formed with a rep from each team to hand out discipline, the players interests and concerns for safety would be forefront in all actions. As it stands the leagues interests, which are purely financial, are being protected with a farce of a system. There is no consistency. Let the players handle it. Not a clown who owes his job to the league and their interests.

The union's interests are financial too. 

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I would tweak that a bit

1 NHL nominee,

1 NHLPA nominee, and 

1 jointly agreed upon former ref or linesman

Then, have a three person panel of arbitration experts ... the same 1/1/1 composition ... for appeals

Again I say...

how about instead of guys like Parros and Pronger... we put guys like Kariya, Marc Savard, Pat Lafontaine and other skilled players whose careers were affected by dirty plays in charge of player safety.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Star player without any history? He'll get 1 game, just like Kucherov got for his hit on Markus Nutivaara a couple years ago.

IMO this was worse ... Scheifele's hit was at high speed ... he elevated during the hit ... and the point of contact looks like the head (Kucherov's point of initial contact looked to be the body*) ... but that may only mean two games

* - I have no idea why the NHL cares so much about initial point of contact ... contact is made with the head either when a hit is directed to the head or directed so high as to make contact with the head a distinct possibility ... when the latter the player should be equally accountable for not caring about the possibility of hitting the head ... obviously exception for rare instance when the victim trips/falls so their head is in the path of the hit.