Round 2, Game 1 Habs vs Jets 7:30PM ET

JoeLassister

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

They don't hand out fines in these hearings, so I would imagine 1-3 games if I were betting I would say 2.  No history, but man, Scheifele's face after the hit tells a story, he's not concerned for what he did or anything, he's wired.  If it's accidental most players show some form of remorse after it happened, Scheifele looked jacked up.

They've handed out fines from hearings before plenty of times.  A hearing is not an automatic suspension.

1 to 3 games is my guess. The problem, as Friedman stated, is you  cant find a comparison. There isn't another example of a player skating flat out for 200 feet and jumping into them high like that. I am still sick over it. The speed and force was disturbing.  The last time I saw something thus inhumane was the Steven's hit on karya. Whether it's legal or not, it was an inhumane act performed by someone who lost his ability to consider consequences of their actions. I'm not an overly sensitive guy, but I am just sick after watching that. I'm not sure I have another one of those in me. For any team. If I see something that fast and that violent again, I may stop watching hockey. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Again I say...

how about instead of guys like Parros and Pronger... we put guys like Kariya, Marc Savard, Pat Lafontaine and other skilled players whose careers were affected by dirty plays in charge of player safety.  

Even skilled players tend to be part of the "NHL boys club" that doesn't see the problem as a serious one ... and given their respective actions thus far I doubt that either the NHL or the NHLPA would be happy with more of a pacifist in charge of player safety.

Realistically, for REAL change to occur it will likely take a serious injury with either (a) successfully prosecuted criminal charges (however minuscule the chances) or (b) a civil liability assessment against, in whole or in part, the NHL (maybe even possibly the NHLPA) because of the failure to take sufficient action to discourage head shots and other ridiculously dangerous, reckless acts.

• Upvote 1

If Scheifele gets back into the series at some point Edmunson may have set himself up for a suspension as any "dirty revenge hit" would be considered premeditated

I would stay legal but bash him into the boards, hip-check him, push him, taunt him and don't worry if he's in front of a slapshot. He'll spend a month recuperating from the Habs love.

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Again I say...

how about instead of guys like Parros and Pronger... we put guys like Kariya, Marc Savard, Pat Lafontaine and other skilled players whose careers were affected by dirty plays in charge of player safety.  

Single person managing decision with unknown list of people he consult is too shady

tribunal with representation from interested parties would structurally work better

ex-player can be Lafontaine/Kariya ...

My worry is that Weber acts on the pure rage that his eyes reflected last night. Hopefully the boys can find a way to settle down and play hockey tomorrow.  This is the kind of distraction that can result in a slump.

18 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Let Weber ragdoll him for a bit if he is back before we sweep them.

If he isnt? Let Weber ragdoll him next season.

We don’t need injured Weber in the Habs lineup. I think he hurt his thumb in the last fight 

Other able Habs are important players to the Habs success

I say, sweep them in the series; catch them next season

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

My worry is that Weber acts on the pure rage that his eyes reflected last night. Hopefully the boys can find a way to settle down and play hockey tomorrow.  This is the kind of distraction that can result in a slump.

Is Weber still tough enough to really act the enforcer anyway? I mean, I'm sure he's a reasonably strong guy, but we're not talking vintage Chara or Lucic here - or even vintage Weber, really.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

It was a classless hit ... but I am not as certain it was purely predatory ... unlike, for example Hunter on Turgeon, I think Schleifle's initial objective was to prevent Evans from being able to get all the way out from behind the net to tuck the puck into the net ... but once Schleifle saw the puck would be going into the net, his frustration took over and he went into full "crazy @$$hole" mode ... the hit then became Hunter-ish... it makes absolutely no difference to the result but it does to circumstances for the suspension ... I think it should be the maximum "phone call" 5 games

Scheifele had an opportunity to stop the puck from going in the net with a stick check. That should be his #1 priority to stop the scoring attempt, retrieve the puck, go down the ice, score a goal, be a hero.

He didn't try to stop the goal. He didn't try to win the game. He tried to hurt someone. And he succeeded.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is Weber still tough enough to really act the enforcer anyway? I mean, I'm sure he's a reasonably strong guy, but we're not talking vintage Chara or Lucic here - or even vintage Weber, really.

Enforcing is not the fear. Remember the Zeterburg face smash in the glass? Fighting is a bit easier to brace for than a violent act when you aren't suspecting it. I think he's smart enough not to do that, but...

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

It's time to talk about slick nick and them filthy mitts. How good was that goal? Wow!

Great point, we have spent so much time talking about the hit we have ignored some great things, like slick Nick continue to shine and KK continuing to score in the playoffs. 

26 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

It's time to talk about slick nick and them filthy mitts. How good was that goal? Wow!

Said it yesterday when he scored. 

That might be the filthiest goal I’ve ever seen. 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

1 to 3 games is my guess. The problem, as Friedman stated, is you  cant find a comparison. There isn't another example of a player skating flat out for 200 feet and jumping into them high like that. I am still sick over it. The speed and force was disturbing.  The last time I saw something thus inhumane was the Steven's hit on karya. Whether it's legal or not, it was an inhumane act performed by someone who lost his ability to consider consequences of their actions. I'm not an overly sensitive guy, but I am just sick after watching that. I'm not sure I have another one of those in me. For any team. If I see something that fast and that violent again, I may stop watching hockey. 

That hit was an affront to humanity. 

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Great point, we have spent so much time talking about the hit we have ignored some great things, like slick Nick continue to shine and KK continuing to score in the playoffs. 

KK and Suzuki look incredible, especially Suzuki IMO ... bodes well for the future ... but they did last fall too ... Suzuki took a step forward this past season (from 15/82 to 22/82) but KK regressed ... hope it sticks this time.

Long time member who just tends to follow the forum on a regular basis without posting. But after a brief background chat with Georges Vezina's protege, I figured I'd add a comment regarding that hit on Evans. So here goes.

The "Rocket Richard Zone"

For any of us old enough to have watched 'the Rocket' in action it's easy to see that Scheifele had gone to that zone by the time he was lining Evan's up. He had the exact same look in his eyes after the hit that Richard got when he lost control and slipped into the abyss. The look in his eyes indicated he probably wasn't even aware of what he'd just done. If you watch the replay he doesn't even make an attempt to use his stick to prevent a goal. Given the distance between him and the net, it was really his only hope to prevent a goal as he was going to arrive too late for anything else. You can see that he never reached for the puck, and he never made any attempt to let up. I saw Richard go there too many times and it's obvious that Scheifele had gone to the same mode as he was running crazy already. It's not a hockey play in any sense of the word, no matter how much one can try to justify this. It's a serious issue that the league simply refuses to address. I love hard hitting hockey, but this isn't anywhere close to that. And the argument that if you're punishing these type of hits means you might as well take hitting right out of the game, as some idiots will argue, is ludicrous. It doesn't wash. Unfortunately the NHL has a long standing habit of not being able to get this type of situation right when it comes to discipline. They never have and it seems like they never will. And that's truly sad when it comes to the potential for seriously harming the lives of players long after their careers are done, and the cheering has faded. Scheifele isn't by reputation, a nasty player but at some point, regardlesss of past history or being a good guy, the league really needs to figure out where the line is in the sand

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They've handed out fines from hearings before plenty of times.  A hearing is not an automatic suspension.

Especially when the guy isnt hurt bad...makes sense. 

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Especially when the guy isnt hurt bad...makes sense. 

Makes "NHL sense" ... factoring in the degree of injury means a more vicious and deliberate hit could be punished less than a "closer to legit play" hit because the dirtier player got lucky.

1 hour ago, beliveau1 said:

Long time member who just tends to follow the forum on a regular basis without posting. But after a brief background chat with Georges Vezina's protege, I figured I'dadd a comment regarding that hit on Evans. So here goes.

The "Rocket Richard Zone"

For any of us old enough to have watched 'the Rocket' in action it's easy to see that Scheifele had gone to that zone by the time he was lining Evan's up. He had the exact same look in his eyes after the hit that Richard got when he lost control and slipped into the abyss. The look in his eyes indicated he probably wasn't even aware of what he'd just done. If you watch the replay he doesn't even make an attempt to use his stick to prevent a goal. Given the distance between the him and the net it was really his only hope to prevent a goal as he was going to arrive too late for anything else. You can see that he never reached for the puck, and he never made any attempt to let up. I saw Richard go there too many times and it's obvious that Scheifele had gone to the same mode as he was running crazy already. It's not a hockey play in any sense of the word, no matter how much one can try to justify this. It's a serious issue that the league simply refuses to address. I love hard hitting hockey, but this isn't anywhere close to that. And the argument that if you're punishing these type of hits means you might as well take hitting right out of the game, as some idiots will argue, is ludicrous. It doesn't wash. Unfortunately the NHL has a long standing habit of not being able to get this type of situation right when it comes to discipline. They never have and it seems like they never will. And that's truly sad when it comes to the potential for seriously harming the lives of players long after their careers are done, and the cheering has faded. Scheifele isn't by reputation, a nasty player but at some point, regardlesss of past history or being a good guy, the league really needs to figure out where the line is in the sand

Well said. 

7 hours ago, huzer said:

Correct, it's a phone hearing, not in-person/zoom. That means max possible suspension is 5 games.

There no way he gets close to the max anyway. I’d be surprised if he gets even one ir two games. We are talking about the DoPS, otherwise known as Goon are Us.