Round 2, Game 1 Habs vs Jets 7:30PM ET

JoeLassister

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No, if you hit Domi in the head with a sledgehammer that would be a very serious offense. That's a bad example. Let's say you fire a gun in the air and hit  nobody, is that the same as shooting a gun in the air and killing a kid sitting on their balcony accidentally.  Would both people be charged the same?  I think not.  It's partially intent, partially outcome. 

Hyperbole/exaggeration for effect ... the examples were intentionally extreme, but the principles remain the same ... factoring in injury puts too much emphasis on the result (which can be haphazard) instead of the action that the NL theoretically wants to eliminate.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Hyperbole/exaggeration for effect ... the examples were intentionally extreme, but the principles remain the same ... factoring in injury puts too much emphasis on the result (which can be haphazard) instead of the action that the NL theoretically wants to eliminate.

If the NHL doesn't factor in injury then players will be much more likely to take matters in their own hands when they see a teammate get hurt from a dirty play and things will get out of hand. I think most players understand that injury from a clean hit is part of the game and can accept that. 

The NHL does factor in injury. 

Its just not a 1 game missed by the victim = 1 game suspension ratio.  But they clearly will give more games when injured than not.  They even mention that as a factor in their videos.

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So if Evans (hypothetically) were to be healthy, all it would take to keep Scheifele out of the lineup is for Evans to complain of headaches ... for the rest of the series

Good luck trying to convince a NHL player to stay out of the playoffs for a headache.  These are players that take regular painkiller injections to avoid missing time.  This isn't soccer.

McKinnon himself said Danault is the hardest guy to play against. That and Price in their heads and Avs may stumble

10 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Good luck trying to convince a NHL player to stay out of the playoffs for a headache.  These are players that take regular painkiller injections to avoid missing time.  This isn't soccer.

If it were "best for the team" (Evans for Scheifele is a good "trade") then I expect many would make the decision themselves.

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If the NHL doesn't factor in injury then players will be much more likely to take matters in their own hands when they see a teammate get hurt from a dirty play and things will get out of hand. I think most players understand that injury from a clean hit is part of the game and can accept that. 

If players know that the suspension will consistently be long enough to "hurt" the aggressor, and their team, the need for "vigilante justice" will largely disappear ... if Evans had gotten up and skated off Scheifele might have gotten a fine, or maybe one game ... but WHAT THE SHIT-HEAD DID would have been identical ... THEN the Habs would have felt forced to "take things into their own hands"

The problem in factoring in the degree of injury is that the consequences of an action become a roll of two dice ... even numbers means minimal discipline, odd numbers means harsh discipline ... but the NHL dice are loaded ... odd numbers almost always require a stretcher ... when the result is the basis for punishment the ACT is all but validated when there is no injury.

BTW ... I have no belief that the NHL cares enough about their players (other than stars) to ever implement a serious disciplinary system ... let's face it, if Scheifele would have gotten 8 games if he did that to Matthews ... as would Evans if he did it to Scheifele. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If it were "best for the team" (Evans for Scheifele is a good "trade") then I expect many would make the decision themselves.

At face value 100%

I had no idea until yesterday that Evans leads the team in time on ice or is among the top (forwards). Game in and game out - Evans is playing more than Danault - Ducharme must see him as ultra important. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It would make no difference, the suspension is determined before the player decides how many games they are happy to sit to make it look like an injury.  Plus the damage to an organization's reputation would take a big hit if you fake injuries. You don't play games with a players health.  It's like the boy who cried wolf, no one would believe you next time when maybe a player is really hurt. 

17 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I've been saying for years that if it's deemed a suspension, time suspended = time missed by the injured player.  If it's career ending, too bad, so sad, see you later.

15 hours ago, GHT120 said:

So if Evans (hypothetically) were to be healthy, all it would take to keep Scheifele out of the lineup is for Evans to complain of headaches ... for the rest of the series

15 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It would make no difference, the suspension is determined before the player decides how many games they are happy to sit to make it look like an injury.  Plus the damage to an organization's reputation would take a big hit if you fake injuries. You don't play games with a players health.  It's like the boy who cried wolf, no one would believe you next time when maybe a player is really hurt. 

The specific context of the series of posts was the proposed premise that suspensions should be for however long the injured player is out ... meaning there would be no fixed number of games, or perhaps a fixed minimum but no maximum ... I was simply pointing out how that could be abused ... my comments were in no way related to the current reality of player safety

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And to be honest. Incidents like this just take a lot of the fun out of the game for me. I wish it had never happened.  There are a lot of other things I would rather be debating. 

Exactly. This kills masculine sport. But we are all flawed. We are created all have a tendency towards evil a fact solemnly affirmed in all sapiential traditions. 

34 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

How about he comes back when Jake Evans is cleared to play hockey. 

Please see my post, third above ... the concept is neither allowed for in the current rules nor a workable change to consider.