Jump to content

Round 2, Game 1 Habs vs Jets 7:30PM ET


JoeLassister
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

Again I say...

 

how about instead of guys like Parros and Pronger... we put guys like Kariya, Marc Savard, Pat Lafontaine and other skilled players whose careers were affected by dirty plays in charge of player safety.  

Since they took that role away from the commissioner, I felt Bossy should have been the first person in that role, and after him, Lafontaine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, beliveau1 said:

Long time member who just tends to follow the forum on a regular basis without posting. But after a brief background chat with Georges Vezina's protege, I figured I'dadd a comment regarding that hit on Evans. So here goes.

The "Rocket Richard Zone"

For any of us old enough to have watched 'the Rocket' in action it's easy to see that Scheifele had gone to that zone by the time he was lining Evan's up. He had the exact same look in his eyes after the hit that Richard got when he lost control and slipped into the abyss. The look in his eyes indicated he probably wasn't even aware of what he'd just done. If you watch the replay he doesn't even make an attempt to use his stick to prevent a goal. Given the distance between the him and the net it was really his only hope to prevent a goal as he was going to arrive too late for anything else. You can see that he never reached for the puck, and he never made any attempt to let up. I saw Richard go there too many times and it's obvious that Scheifele had gone to the same mode as he was running crazy already. It's not a hockey play in any sense of the word, no matter how much one can try to justify this. It's a serious issue that the league simply refuses to address. I love hard hitting hockey, but this isn't anywhere close to that. And the argument that if you're punishing these type of hits means you might as well take hitting right out of the game, as some idiots will argue, is ludicrous. It doesn't wash. Unfortunately the NHL has a long standing habit of not being able to get this type of situation right when it comes to discipline. They never have and it seems like they never will. And that's truly sad when it comes to the potential for seriously harming the lives of players long after their careers are done, and the cheering has faded. Scheifele isn't by reputation, a nasty player but at some point, regardlesss of past history or being a good guy, the league really needs to figure out where the line is in the sand

 


Great post 👍

 

I believe the NHL is in no hurry to fix this because the violence is part of their marketing campaign. Instead of creating a legitimate campaign that highlights the sport’s speed and skill, the end to end chances, the excitement. Instead they market the game to the WWE crowd. 
 

I don’t believe the average American sees the nhl as a legitimate league like NFL for example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shouldn't we have heard news about the Scheifele hearing by now?  I assumed the NHL DOPS operated during Eastern time zone business hours, since NHL HQ is in New York.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Shouldn't we have heard news about the Scheifele hearing by now?  I assumed the NHL DOPS operated during Eastern time zone business hours, since NHL HQ is in New York.


Announcement is apparently about an hour away.  Speculation that nhl wants to avoid cable news time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

So is the NHL player safety not making a decision today?  They are that busy?  It's 6pm est, I very well doubt they are still working.

The hearing was at 2 PM. I don't know why they take so long to publish the decision. I mean, how long does it take Parros to type the words "$5000 fine"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Four games for Scheifele!!

Everything considered, I'm happy with the suspension.  There's a chance, small one, he may not play in the playoffs this year again.  Removes their top center out for 4 games.  I still would rather it of not happened.

 

In the NHL player safety video they concluded he didn't attempt to play the puck, went so far as calling it a predatory hit. To give out 4 games on first offense is pretty big.

 

https://www.nhl.com/video/scheifele-suspended-four-games/t-277440360/c-8516240

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Everything considered, I'm happy with the suspension.  There's a chance, small one, he may not play in the playoffs this year again.  Removes their top center out for 4 games.  I still would rather it of not happened.

 

In the NHL player safety video they concluded he didn't attempt to play the puck, went so far as calling it a predatory hit. To give out 4 games on first offense is pretty big.

 

https://www.nhl.com/video/scheifele-suspended-four-games/t-277440360/c-8516240

That’s more than I expected was possible from Parros. I guess they couldn’t risk another team so he is not fit for the position. But like I said many times before. You want to get this kind of crap out if the game. You have a 10 game suspension for the first offence. 20 for the second and keep doubling. Nine if this code bullshit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

Doesn’t this feel like 1993 when out of unexpected circumstances there was a path for the Habs to contend?

Was thinking the same thing - but having to play the Avs, and the potentially the Lightening is not an unobstructed path.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s more than I expected was possible from Parros. I guess they couldn’t risk another team so he is not fit for the position. But like I said many times before. You want to get this kind of crap out if the game. You have a 10 game suspension for the first offence. 20 for the second and keep doubling. Nine if this code bullshit.

I've been saying for years that if it's deemed a suspension, time suspended = time missed by the injured player.  If it's career ending, too bad, so sad, see you later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I've been saying for years that if it's deemed a suspension, time suspended = time missed by the injured player.  If it's career ending, too bad, so sad, see you later.

Issue with that is if a player gets lucky not to smash his head, on the ice from a cheap shot, do you let the player go, without a harsh suspension?? You have to punish the action, and the severity shouldn’t just depend on the outcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Issue with that is if a player gets lucky not to smash his head, on the ice from a cheap shot, do you let the player go, without a harsh suspension?? You have to punish the action, and the severity shouldn’t just depend on the outcome.

 

Agreed

 

The other issue is if I give a guy his 10th concussion does that mean I'm out of the league now cause he has to retire.  I get a lifetime suspension cause the guy didn't know when to quit.

 

Do players now become extra careful when that guy is on the ice, so much so that he gets a scoring advantage cause no one hits him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Everything considered, I'm happy with the suspension.  There's a chance, small one, he may not play in the playoffs this year again.  Removes their top center out for 4 games.  I still would rather it of not happened.

 

In the NHL player safety video they concluded he didn't attempt to play the puck, went so far as calling it a predatory hit. To give out 4 games on first offense is pretty big.

 

https://www.nhl.com/video/scheifele-suspended-four-games/t-277440360/c-8516240

I am happy. That they actually handed out a suspension.

I am shocked. That they actually suspended more than one or two games.

And I am still angry. That Scheifele loses far fewer games than Evans.

 

The next step? Win this series in five games or less, and never give Scheifele a chance to get back on the ice this season. That should give him (and the team) something to ponder out on the golf course, about red mist, poor decisions and opportunities thrown away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Issue with that is if a player gets lucky not to smash his head, on the ice from a cheap shot, do you let the player go, without a harsh suspension?? You have to punish the action, and the severity shouldn’t just depend on the outcome.

I never said it should be a blanket rule.  If there was no injury, normal rule would apply.  If there's an injury, suspension = time missed.  Other issue is, as Commandant pointed out, someone is on their 10th concussion, this easily could be solved but X amount of concussions against a player removes this rule.

 

I don't understand how players need a pass from hurting other players.  It's their livelihood?  I can't goto my job and run a guys head into a wall and come back a week later, I don't understand how anyone believe it's acceptable in sports.  I'm not talking about accidents, I'm talking about the hit last night, and the entire careers of some NHL players, the Torres, the Cookes.  The play was 100% deliberate, the NHL player safety went as far as saying it was predatory and they didn't believe he was trying to play the puck as he stated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Agreed

 

The other issue is if I give a guy his 10th concussion does that mean I'm out of the league now cause he has to retire.  I get a lifetime suspension cause the guy didn't know when to quit.

 

Do players now become extra careful when that guy is on the ice, so much so that he gets a scoring advantage cause no one hits him?

If they were to go for this (which NHLPA surely would refuse) I would apply this to serious or egregious cases (intent to injure?). And apply a minimum suspension of 10 (or 20?) games and a maximum of 6 months (or 12 months?) regardless of the victim's recovery time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

If they were to go for this (which NHLPA surely would refuse) I would apply this to serious or egregious cases (intent to injure?). And apply a minimum suspension of 10 (or 20?) games and a maximum of 6 months (or 12 months?) regardless of the victim's recovery time.

It would all fall apart if the victim returned before the offender. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Doesn’t this feel like 1993 when out of unexpected circumstances there was a path for the Habs to contend?

 

 

Let's not get crazy...while I love our chances against the Jets now, I don't like our chances against the Avs at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Issue with that is if a player gets lucky not to smash his head, on the ice from a cheap shot, do you let the player go, without a harsh suspension?? You have to punish the action, and the severity shouldn’t just depend on the outcome.

 

True, but the outcome has to count for something,.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I've been saying for years that if it's deemed a suspension, time suspended = time missed by the injured player.  If it's career ending, too bad, so sad, see you later.

So if Evans (hypothetically) were to be healthy, all it would take to keep Scheifele out of the lineup is for Evans to complain of headaches ... for the rest of the series

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, but the outcome has to count for something,.

Challenge with that is that if you hit Tie Domi in the head with a sledgehammer, you would get one games because Domi had the hardest head in the history of the world ... but check another player into the boards and if they are unlucky and break an arm it becomes a  LONG-term suspension ... and if it is Matthews hitting Ouellet, the biggest contribution Xavier could make to the Habs would be to recover s-l-o-w-l-y

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Doesn’t this feel like 1993 when out of unexpected circumstances there was a path for the Habs to contend?

 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Was thinking the same thing - but having to play the Avs, and the potentially the Lightening is not an unobstructed path.

Vasilevskiy and Hedman sprain knees ... MacKinnon comes down with Covid just before the series starts and Landeskog suffers a high angle sprain, etc., etc,. etc.  ... the Hockey Gods can control all if they so choose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Challenge with that is that if you hit Tie Domi in the head with a sledgehammer, you would get one games because Domi had the hardest head in the history of the world ... but check another player into the boards and if they are unlucky and break an arm it becomes a  LONG-term suspension ... and if it is Matthews hitting Ouellet, the biggest contribution Xavier could make to the Habs would be to recover s-l-o-w-l-y

 

No, if you hit Domi in the head with a sledgehammer that would be a very serious offense. That's a bad example. Let's say you fire a gun in the air and hit  nobody, is that the same as shooting a gun in the air and killing a kid sitting on their balcony accidentally.  Would both people be charged the same?  I think not.  It's partially intent, partially outcome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...