Round 2, Game 2 Habs vs Jets 7:30PM ET

JoeLassister

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Having missed both of these games due to work, I am terrified to watch Game 3.

Funny you should say this. Im constantly making fun of people who are superstitious.  Superstition just doesn't make sense, so I normally don't pay attention to it.

1: After game 4, I was having coffee in my Habs cup, and I looked at it with disgust. Poured it into a travel mug and set the Habs mug on my microwave. Habs won game 5. Then won game 6. I instructed everyone "Nobody touch that cup." It's still there. 

2: game one, every goal Montreal scored, I was on the deck watching outside. Game 2, I was outside for the Toffoli goal. I'm considering watching all games on the deck. I went from making fun of Superstition to the mist superstitious fool I know. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

ME! 

Lucky Im not the GM.

But he is appearently playoff clutch goalie. 😁

I read people wanted Roy traded before the 93 playoffs also. 

I will not ask for Price to be traded againt.

It’s not the same thing at all.  Roy was 30, Price is turning 34.       Roy was still one of the best goalies in the league, really did not have injury issues and had a bad GAME. There weren’t any reason to trade him  - other than the idiot coach and a team president who also felt shown up.

You have to also remember that  there was no salary cap back than. even in the absence if a cap, during the last few years of his deal, Roy was not the highest paid player on the team, and for most of his Colorado career, he was not the highest paid player. Sakic, Forsberg, Blake all made more money than Roy in the last few years of his career (Roy’s highest paid years). In a no. non-salary cap era, one of the best goalie’s in NHL history (had one two Conn Smythe’s, and added a third and should have been the ConnSmythe winner for the Avs first cup win). Yet he was not the highest paid player.

Price is turning 34 in August, and signed for another 5 years.  It’s great seeing what he is doing right nowadays and how he is carrying the tram on his back in the playoffs - which we’ve all wanted to see and have been waiting foe. I think we get into the final 4 now - which was unimaginable a month ago, or even two weeks ago. After that, we have a chance at the finals, and the 25th cup. If we win that cup, it will be because of Price. No way we win the cup this year without Price. If we win he hands down will be the Conn Smythe winner. 

Having said that, I don’t want Price’s $10.5m cap hit for another 5 years. Given his age and a full 82 game schedule, we probably need to tie up at least $13m to $14m in goaltending. I don’t think we can afford it AND be competitive given the cap (which will probably be flat for another 3 years, because of the pandemic recapture).  

To me best case scenario, we win cup #25. Price is the MVP. Given the teams he’s played on the trams he has played and what he accomplished, that ensures his #31 is the 16th jersey retired. That doesn’t mean he should finish his career as a hab. A month ago everyone said his contract is immovable. Given his play, I think we can not only move it,  it actually get value and get a good return now. I’d done willing to do it even if he wins it - and I’ve already said that if we win, it will be because of Price.

You can’t make roster decisions in a cap system, based on what someone has done, you do it based on what you think the value someone will bring going forward relative to their cap hit, AND how that impacts your ability to put a winning tram together going forward.

anyways, let’s enjoy this run - that I don’t think anyone had any expectations for and we can revisit the future roster discussion hopefully after we win the 25th cup!!!  👍

having said that I’m still going to harp on the keeping Romanov out. I do think if we are going to the finals, we need  bottom pairing guys that don’t have to as sheltered as they have been. We improved as a team after putting in KK, Caufield and Evans. I think Romanov would allow us to improve on the backend as well.

17 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Funny you should say this. Im constantly making fun of people who are superstitious.  Superstition just doesn't make sense, so I normally don't pay attention to it.

1: After game 4, I was having coffee in my Habs cup, and I looked at it with disgust. Poured it into a travel mug and set the Habs mug on my microwave. Habs won game 5. Then won game 6. I instructed everyone "Nobody touch that cup." It's still there. 

2: game one, every goal Montreal scored, I was on the deck watching outside. Game 2, I was outside for the Toffoli goal. I'm considering watching all games on the deck. I went from making fun of Superstition to the mist superstitious fool I know. 

I was avoiding posting regularly during games on nights we win - mainly because, we won on a night I didn’t post much - mainly because I was watching with my son. So, I tried to refrain from posting during games as much as possible, but I’m not stupidsticious 😁

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

I am unsure whether I should reply to this.

Flip a coin and if you hear an owl hoot as it chases a mouse... reply. 20 years bad luck if you don't. Or if you don't give a hoot. 

Now that the high of the win has worn off, I can't help but wonder if we should be a little concerned about only scoring one goal last night.  We can't expect Carey to pitch shoutouts and 1s ever night (can we?)...I hope to see more time spent on the attack when the boys get back home, and a goal to get Anderson and/or Caufield going would be great.

(These concerns came to mind as I watched the bonkers pace in the Avs/Knights game)

10 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Now that the high of the win has worn off, I can't help but wonder if we should be a little concerned about only scoring one goal last night.  We can't expect Carey to pitch shoutouts and 1s ever night (can we?)...I hope to see more time spent on the attack when the boys get back home, and a goal to get Anderson and/or Caufield going would be great.

(These concerns came to mind as I watched the bonkers pace in the Avs/Knights game)

Dont be concerned, be happy that the game in which we score only one goal Carey has a SO. The game we score 5 goals he allow 3.

Useless to score 5 goals on his SO game and then lose 1-3. 😁

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I’m not as concerned. They came out flying in the first game I thought we’d lose. Last night, it was a boring game, where we didn’t do a lot but won. Next game I’d expect them to come out flying at home. Hopefully, in their win against the leafs, they learned a lesson from an opponent that didn’t close things out when they were ahead.

We won the last series after inserting KK, Caufield, and Evans. I think they can inject more enthusiasm by inserting Romanov, and also hopefully ease the load on the top 4. I’d rather get him a chance and get him into game shape now, rather than do that in a desperate situation in the next round. 

We have a much more legit chance to get to the top 4 now than we did the last 2 times in 2010 and 2014. I like our offence better this year, but I think our D was better in those two runs. 

However, like 2010 and 2014, we are only  going as far as our goaltending takes us. In 2010, Halak ran out of gas, and in 2014, Kreider took out Price. Price is in the zone like he was in 2014. I’m okay winning 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2.  It maybe boring, but let’s just win!!  I think we have more depth to get Price the goal support, but we got to improve the D - especially fir the next round!
Let’s get through this round without injuries and just win!
Go habs go!

25 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Dont be concerned, be happy that the game in which we score only one goal Carey has a SO. The game we score 5 goals he allow 3.

Useless to score 5 goals on his SO game and then lose 1-3. 😁

Yep. Let’s just get the goal support needed for each game. We’ve got guys who can score and who are contributing in the offence like Taffoli, KK, Suzuki, Caufield, and Perry, along with other depth guys that are contributing. It would be nice to get Anderson going again, and even if Gallagher’s hand issues limit his production, we are better shape than years past where we really only had Maxpac or Gallagher. 
we still need Price to be a wall, but if we need to win 1-0, we have more guys who can get that one goal.

16 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

My guess is that the click count is higher for them still. 

Just listens to the Friedman podcast that was just under 80 min. Around 30 minutes was about the Leafs🙄

30 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Awesome 

I can't tell you how much fun it has been enjoying the suffering of the Leafs' fans and commentariat. My favourite was an old man who called in and denounced this as the single most painful defeat he's seen in 63 years as a Leafs fan. LOL!!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Great post!! 👍

I am not superstitious either, in normal life; but when the playoffs come around, all of a sudden these bizarre things matter. If the team is winning and the game is close, I tend to stay frozen in the same position on the sofa, for example ("if I move, we'll get scored on!"). I had a glass of win for Game 5, so I made sure I had one when I watched Games 6 & 7. That sort of stuff - sheer lunacy of course, BUT...

I think I WILL watch Game 3. The team should be good enough to overcome that handicap. But I wash my hands of all consequences, dammit!!

I'm expecting a loss in game 3 anyway, based on how badly the team played with fire, offensively last night. Defense was superb,  but 1 shorty is a scary way to win. Don't blame yourself. Watch the game

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm expecting a loss in game 3 anyway, based on how badly the team played with fire, offensively last night. Defense was superb,  but 1 shorty is a scary way to win. Don't blame yourself. Watch the game

Appreciate the salve for my conscience, LOL.

I was worried going into this series about our offence v.s. Hellebucyk. Jack Campbell was one thing (he never worried me, despite the hosannahs of the idiot media) but he's another story. So far, though, the team has carried right on scoring "just enough" for Price to seal the deal. I mean, the Jets must have been pretty desperate in Game 2 but could not penetrate the Habs' combination of defensive protecting and ace goaltending. If we're worried, imagine how they feel.

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm expecting a loss in game 3 anyway, based on how badly the team played with fire, offensively last night. Defense was superb,  but 1 shorty is a scary way to win.

Only one goal on Hellebuyck, yes. But they scored four on him in the first game, it can certainly be done. Caufield, Kotkaniemi and Perry all had multiple solid chances at scoring, and it could have easily been 3-0 instead with some different bounces.

The key was that when Hellebuyck played great, Price played even better.

7 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I can't help but wonder if we should be a little concerned about only scoring one goal last night. 

The old cliché of if the net is half empty, or is it half full?

i.e. did the Habs only win by 1, or did they constantly maintain a 1 goal lead?  

Was it Golilocks and the 3 bears and the score was just right?  

Speaking of maintaining leads:

image.png

Not much to worry about there.  Good sign.  Whooo!!!  

Edit:  crazy, in their last 5 games not only have they scored 1st they have scored 11 goals before their opponent scored 1.

image.png

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Are you people crazy? :scared: Talking openly about superstitions is like revealing your wish when blowing out birthday candles! (Or whatever the post-pandemic equivalent is.)

Oh that's just a pile of superstitious nonsense. lol

• Upvote 1