New goaltending direction...

hankhab

Given Huets strong performance the last game and a half..(solid, no bad goals), how would everyone feel about a straight swap, Theodore for Bertuzzi? I'm not saying Huet is a superstar, but given the good development of Danis, and strong prospects on the way, how about trading golatending for offence? Theodore hasn't exactly been stealing wins for the habs lately anyhow, and Vancouver is in the market...Bertuzzi definatly could benefit from a change of scenery..might work out for everyone. I'm also of the opinion that in the new NHL, with the cap and all, 4.5 mil a year is way too much to pay a goaltender.

It was just a matter of time before this started. I actually would make this trade, i'm not sure if vancouver would. Theo's goals against is still lower then then Huet. I do like the way Huet makes good decisions with moving the puck. The other trades are to upgrade the defense. In my opinion they are all expendable but Markov and Komi. Dandy i'm sure stays due to a 4 year deal. The habs need to get a few D who can skate and move the puck out of there own end. This continues to be the main problem. Not goaltending.

Originally posted by Mont Royale

Well, Huet HAS played 128 minutes for the Habs, so he's definitely paid his dues and deserves the number 1 job. :eyes:

I'm glad you said it Mont Royale. :/)

I knew there had to be others who haven't started drinking for new years eve yet.

who wants an injured, underacheiving goalie(at least this year) come on be honest.

as for bubba bertuzzi, you can call him overated. the guy doesn't perform without naslund

None of this really matters, there is no way vancouver would make the trade. Trades Montreal needs to make is to get rid of the dead weight and floaters the current roster has. Improving the defense should be a top priority. The habs could probably score more if they could figure out how to get the puck out of there own end.

I figure if they keep murray and place him along bégin and

bulis/higgins/, we would have a great third line

I wouldn't mind trading talent for grit once again

i personally am a fantasy proponent of some sort of ribs for new 2nd line pivot or top 4 d-man, but,,,, these things are always far easier on NHL2006 than in real life.

Huet is hopefully in the early stages of showing he can be exactly what this team needs, a reliable guy, who can step in when needed, play stretches for the team and not lose games. Sounds like an excellent backup goalie to me. Historically top teams have a second guy who can really step in when needed. Sometimes that guy becomes a 1st goalie on that team, sometimes elsewhere, sometimes never. Think Laroque, Vachon, Legace, Aebischer.

Yes, good point, i would have Bulis Murray Begin as a line, higgins Bonk and Sundstrom, hopefully higgins work ethic rubs off on Bonk. Unfortunately i don't see any trade value in Bonk and Sundstrom. Defense and the second line is really what needs to be addressed.

ribs has played such a good game tuesday, his downside: minus 7

give him a leftwinger who can get the puck in the corners and you'll get a deadly line with ryder

Ribs was also playing with Bulis and Kovalev, i think that's why he looked ok. The second although it has changed alot with injuries and Julien changing people all the time is still minus 18 or something like that. They really only look good on the power play, ribs Dags and ryder can't make anything happen 5 on 5.

Theodore has meant the different in a number of matches. Maybe you've forgotten about some of the very close matches where the Habs were clearly losing but Theodore stole the win for us. Yes there were matches where he struggled, but I think our priority should be dealing with some of the less-than-stellar players we have atm.

Even there, i don't think any major trades are required. Just give it time. The slump is over, have some faith.

Originally posted by habschris

I do like the way Huet makes good decisions with moving the puck.

Ok this thread is an opium dream but habschris ("hello") hit on a point I have been thinking about. Goalies who can move the puck from the crease are good now. Before most goalie puck action was playing it on the boards but that is gone with the no-touch zone.

As most of you know Theo shoots opposite his grip, so has to actually turn the stick round before he can play the puck. Skating into the corner that's ok, but playing quickly from the crease it is not.

In short, Theo's puck movement is down there among the worst goalies in the league. A big minus on him in the new fast break-out NHL.

I'm not saying trade Theo but he will have to really get his save% down to compensate for his puck handling if he doesn't want to end up being the Bell boo-birds' new whipping boy come March...

That's why i think the habs need to get some D who can skate and move the puck. Suoray, Rivet, Komi, Bouillon are basically statues out there. Dandy is a great skater, Markov a little above average. Theo and Huet are fine, Theo just needs to stay in the net.

If a trade is good for the team than it's good for the team. EVERYONE can be traded. Trading a star player playing a key roll (Theo Koivu and Kov) is however, a high risk proposition that could hurt. I still have nightmares of red light Rasicot (sp?) so trading a good goalie is very risky. If someone offered a Joe Thornton for Koivu or Kov I would make that trade (with tears)

You Theo defenders are missing the point of my post. I'm not knocking his past achievements, I'm pointing out that 4.5mil is too much to pay any goaltender, in my opinion, and that since habs are not truely cup contenders this year, why wouldn't we trade Theo for a top power forward, which we havn't had for umpteen years now

Originally posted by habschris

That's why i think the habs need to get some D who can skate and move the puck. Suoray, Rivet, Komi, Bouillon are basically statues out there. Dandy is a great skater, Markov a little above average. Theo and Huet are fine, Theo just needs to stay in the net.

Bouillon's am above average skater and Markov is a very good skater. And we don't need the entire defence corps to be fast skaters. We'll need some guys like Rivet and Komi.

Originally posted by goonhab

If a trade is good for the team than it's good for the team.  EVERYONE can be traded.  Trading a star player playing a key roll  (Theo Koivu and Kov) is however, a high risk proposition that could hurt.  I still have nightmares of red light Rasicot (sp?) so trading a good goalie is very risky.  If someone offered a Joe Thornton for Koivu or Kov I would make that trade (with tears)

You'd trade Kovalev for Thornton? Surely you jest. You don't remember the last playoff series vs. Boston? I know, Thornton was hurt. :puke:

I'm not sure I'd trade Koivu for him, either. That would be gaining size, but losing heart.

[Edited on 2005/12/22 by Mont Royale]

Originally posted by hankhab

You Theo defenders are missing the point of my post. I'm not knocking his past achievements, I'm pointing out that 4.5mil is too much to pay any goaltender, in my opinion, and that since habs are not truely cup contenders this year, why wouldn't we trade Theo for a top power forward, which we havn't had for umpteen years now

this team needs to be upgraded. that does not mean that you take akey building block and trade him for another piece of the puzzle that you need. huet to my suprise has played well for all of 90 minutes. so we should trade theo? based on that kosty scored on his 1st shot in the nhl i guess kovalev and koivu are now on the block. i mean his shooting percentage is 100 % you can't beat that

Originally posted by habs rule
Originally posted by hankhab

this team needs to be upgraded. that does not mean that you take akey building block and trade him for another piece of the puzzle that you need. huet to my suprise has played well for all of 90 minutes. so we should trade theo? based on that kosty scored on his 1st shot in the nhl i guess kovalev and koivu are now on the block. i mean his shooting percentage is 100 % you can't beat that

well you answered it yourself .. if this aint a cup contender this year whats the rush? Dont we have Latendresse (bertuzzi like) in the making who could easily dress the CH next year? there's your power forwar and would cost 450k