Team Canada - Official selection

Rooster

I think you got the wrong reports the crying was over Forsberg- Colorado had a crap year 2 years ago and 2 years is a long time for a veteran ask brett Hull and Stevie Y- Phaneuf, Mccabe, Boyle to name a few are way ahead of Foote

I am not disparaging Foote's career- he has had a good career, but even Larry Robinson in his later years should maybe have missed a Canada Cup- but let's face facts Foote is no Robinson or Blake or Bourque for that matter- he was steady now he is old

Uhh..the crying was over both guys, I still remember the day like it was yesterday. He was easily a fan favourite on that team. One of the best defensive players in the game. 100 points and lose the division by a point is crap? Especially when we bit the injury bug hard that year. We even had the best record in the league for about a month. Hate to point it out, but Colorado still had a better season then the Habs so watch the crap year comment. The 03-04 season was probably one of my most favourite to watch in the 10 years I've followed the Avs.

Boyle, possibly. Phaneuf, not yet. McCabe, are you on crack? One of the biggest things with Foote (and Blake) is they give Canada a left hand shot and Foote gives them great leadership and one of the most defensively responsible men in the NHL. Foote leaves for Columbus and our defense immediately starts to suffer, what does that tell you? I miss Foote more then anything and would love to see him back on the Avs.

I have to agree Foote is amazing, he is not yet old or slow he belongs. Just wait until the Olympics are over he will prove his doubters wrong, He is so valuable defensively and that’s great for Canada considering they already have a plethora of offensively gifted players and may play the power play with 4 forwards. I am happy he is on the team. Colorado does miss his presence so very much anyone who watches them on a regular basis would agree especially if they watched the Avs in past seasons while Foote was in the line up.

Uhh..the crying was over both guys, I still remember the day like it was yesterday. He was easily a fan favourite on that team. One of the best defensive players in the game. 100 points and lose the division by a point is crap? Especially when we bit the injury bug hard that year. We even had the best record in the league for about a month. Hate to point it out, but Colorado still had a better season then the Habs so watch the crap year comment. The 03-04 season was probably one of my most favourite to watch in the 10 years I've followed the Avs.

Boyle, possibly. Phaneuf, not yet. McCabe, are you on crack? One of the biggest things with Foote (and Blake) is they give Canada a left hand shot and Foote gives them great leadership and one of the most defensively responsible men in the NHL. Foote leaves for Columbus and our defense immediately starts to suffer, what does that tell you? I miss Foote more then anything and would love to see him back on the Avs.

Look an impact player makes an impact even on a crap team. Foote has made no impact with Columbus. The reason he is not an impact player. He is an above average defenceman in his prime and he isnt in his prime. Phaneuf Boyle or Mccabe would have made an impact with Team Canada. I also question if Foote will be in the Hall of fame. He would have had a fair chance if he had stuck with Colorado. His star will fade with Columbus. Phaneuf will be the next superstar defenceman in this league. Boyle has wheels that Foote had ten years ago if ever. We already have beef on defence with Pronger Jovo and Blake. We dont need slower older beef like Foote. As for Colorado, umm not having Forsberg forechecking hurts the defence. Other teams arent't intimidated with an aging Sakic as the sole star on the team.

I have to agree Foote is amazing, he is not yet old or slow he belongs. Just wait until the Olympics are over he will prove his doubters wrong, He is so valuable defensively and that’s great for Canada considering they already have a plethora of offensively gifted players and may play the power play with 4 forwards. I am happy he is on the team. Colorado does miss his presence so very much anyone who watches them on a regular basis would agree especially if they watched the Avs in past seasons while Foote was in the line up.

Team canada will do well because of a plethora of stars. However they will have trouble as they did in the world championships last year because of the hanger ons like Draper Doan and Foote- The 2002 Olympic team had no hangers on and Foote was on that team but he was still young and above average. At the time we had players like Nolan Lindros Kariya Peca who could easily be on the first or fourth line. Now we got 4th liners that have a restricted role and are 4th line players.

Look an impact player makes an impact even on a crap team. Foote has made no impact with Columbus. The reason he is not an impact player. He is an above average defenceman in his prime and he isnt in his prime. Phaneuf Boyle or Mccabe would have made an impact with Team Canada. I also question if Foote will be in the Hall of fame. He would have had a fair chance if he had stuck with Colorado. His star will fade with Columbus. Phaneuf will be the next superstar defenceman in this league. Boyle has wheels that Foote had ten years ago if ever. We already have beef on defence with Pronger Jovo and Blake. We dont need slower older beef like Foote. As for Colorado, umm not having Forsberg forechecking hurts the defence. Other teams arent't intimidated with an aging Sakic as the sole star on the team.

What the hell? Why are you telling me how my team plays? Forsberg hung out around the net but he barely forechecked. Not that he didn't want to but Hartley, Crawford, Granato...you name it, didn't want him to because he has proven to be such a fragile player. And Hejduk, Tanguay, Blake aren't stars? Svatos challenging Crosby and Ovechkin....Liles proving to be one of the top future offensive d-men in the league. This team has current stars and future stars. Try watching them from their start in Colorado and then get back to me. You're diving into uncharted territory.

What the hell? Why are you telling me how my team plays? Forsberg hung out around the net but he barely forechecked. Not that he didn't want to but Hartley, Crawford, Granato...you name it, didn't want him to because he has proven to be such a fragile player. And Hejduk, Tanguay, Blake aren't stars? Svatos challenging Crosby and Ovechkin....Liles proving to be one of the top future offensive d-men in the league. This team has current stars and future stars. Try watching them from their start in Colorado and then get back to me. You're diving into uncharted territory.

oh yeah they didn't want'Forsberg'- lol- ask yourself how many goals Gagne has scored in one Nhl season before this year-case closed

Hedjuk wont come close to 50 goals again

QUOTE(jetsniper @ Dec 30 2005, 02:17 PM)

oh yeah they didn't want'Forsberg'- lol- ask yourself how many goals Gagne has scored in one Nhl season before this year-case closed

Hedjuk wont come close to 50 goals again

That is very true Forsberg is an unbelievable playmaker and any NHL calibre player who receives the glorious opportunity to play with him will for sure score more goals then he ever has before. For an extra 1.75 million he is much better than Kovalev although he is a bigger injury risk.

Not to take anything away from Gange or Hejduk they are both great players but would not be considered to be the all star goal scores they are without the Peter Forsberg

Foote is currently a good player not a great player. Forsberg is currently a great player. Hejduk is currently a very good player.

Hejduk will hit 40+ goals again. 50 may be out of his reach but if he's playing next to a great winger he can. And who's to say Sakic, Tanguay and Svatos aren't/won't be great?

I think Phaneuf can pass as being better than Foote this season but not Boyle or McCabe. Foote is definitely not a controversial call. If any defenceman on Team Canada don't belong on the team due to THIS YEAR'S play than it's between Jovanovski and Blake. I'd take Foote or Phaneuf over Jovy.

There are so many good Canadian players available at every position that we could probably ice 3 or 4 teams which would ALL be competitive. The 3rd & 4th might not be as successful as the 1st two but it could still happen.

No matter who gets chosen, there will always be nay-sayers, complainers, bitchers, crabbers, etc... :blink::wacko:

Foote is currently a good player not a great player. Forsberg is currently a great player. Hejduk is currently a very good player.

Hejduk will hit 40+ goals again. 50 may be out of his reach but if he's playing next to a great winger he can. And who's to say Sakic, Tanguay and Svatos aren't/won't be great?

I think Phaneuf can pass as being better than Foote this season but not Boyle or McCabe. Foote is definitely not a controversial call. If any defenceman on Team Canada don't belong on the team due to THIS YEAR'S play than it's between Jovanovski and Blake. I'd take Foote or Phaneuf over Jovy.

I know McCabe is a leaf and we all can live without leafs :D . However, have you seen his stats? 14 goals and 32 assists in 39 games. He might be the first 30 goal defenceman with 100 points in ages. As for Boyle, 10 goals and 20 assists aint chicken liver- A little better than Foote's 5 goals 4 assists and -11. I know Foote is a defensive defenceman, but how good is he at -11. Add a shaky Brodeur and we might be in for trouble.

There are so many good Canadian players available at every position that we could probably ice 3 or 4 teams which would ALL be competitive. The 3rd & 4th might not be as successful as the 1st two but it could still happen.

No matter who gets chosen, there will always be nay-sayers, complainers, bitchers, crabbers, etc... :blink::wacko:

Well we can all keep quiet and pretend we are in a fascist state

I know McCabe is a leaf and we all can live without leafs :D . However, have you seen his stats? 14 goals and 32 assists in 39 games. He might be the first 30 goal defenceman with 100 points in ages. As for Boyle, 10 goals and 20 assists aint chicken liver- A little better than Foote's 5 goals 4 assists and -11. I know Foote is a defensive defenceman, but how good is he at -11. Add a shaky Brodeur and we might be in for trouble.

Well we can all keep quiet and pretend we are in a fascist state

Why look at Foote's +/- and not McCabe's? Also, McCabe's numbers have been boosted by the number of 5-on-3s and other powerplays that the Leafs get. It's no secret that the refs are playing for them. Not that he isn't a good PP quarterback and one of the best defenceman offensively in the league but his number of goals and points shouldn't be nearly as high.

Why look at Foote's +/- and not McCabe's? Also, McCabe's numbers have been boosted by the number of 5-on-3s and other powerplays that the Leafs get. It's no secret that the refs are playing for them. Not that he isn't a good PP quarterback and one of the best defenceman offensively in the league but his number of goals and points shouldn't be nearly as high.

Mccabe is +4, Im assuming all teams have had many 5 on3's including Columbus.