IMPORTANT > HW Announcement (New Features, Logging Issues, etc.) - Please Report any Problem

sakiqc

Latest Events

On the 21st of December at 6pm EST, the HW Forums were hacked by 2 people with IP originating from Kuwait. The HW Forums were successfully closed around 30 minutes after the strike, to put down the hacked version of the forum which contained a signature of the hacker along a suspicious JavaScript code. We put back a backup version of the website, which was hacked down again. We then close the Forums for few hours, the time to install and set up a new forum. We recommend every HW visitor who saw the hacked page of HW to run an antivirus as soon as possible, just in case.

New Forums. New features and some import problems

The admins collaborators have bought a forum software from Invision. In the last hours we worked at moving the 1000 members/ 60 000 posts into the new forums. In the process, we lost few -non critical- settings like avatar and signatures, who aren’t showing up properly for everyone. If you can’t log in your account: Some members can’t log with their accounts on the new Forum. The majority is because they forgot their password. Please try first the password recovery tool. If you still have problems, contact me at m.gauthier@habsworld.net. Other problem noticed, U2Us. We lost half of them. We’ll try to recover them, or we’ll just delete every PM and start over.

Skins and customization

Spathe, the HW Architect, has created a beautiful header in a short time notice. That’s a great start. He’ll probably create other skins, when time allows. I created new user ranks, and will update it when time allows.

New features

The new forum has tons of new features. Take the time to update your personal profile and look around. Here are the most important new features:

Under the header, there are important links:

• “View New Posts” where you can see all the latest messages;
  • “My Controls” where you can edit your Settings and profile;
  • “My Assistant”, a cool new application to help you track the forum;
  • “0 New message”, where you can easily see if you have PM, and access them. BTW, “PM” are for “Private Messages” and replace the old “U2U”
Other features
  • Multi quotes feature, rating feature,
Moderators team

We appointed new moderators to the crew, to help the admins and existing mods to manage the growing forum. Here is your mods crew:

- Colin

- dlbalr

- Fanpuck33

- Habs77

- JeanLucPilon

- KoZed

- simonus

BTW, if you discover new features, tell them to others!! Write them here! hehe

Here is a new feature I just discovered:

Go on a big thread, and check the options on the top right. Try "Outline".. and check the result :D

I think you did a great jobh answering to that shutdown. Congratulations for setting up a new board so quickly. I think every user of HW should realize how lucky we are to have Admins who care that much about their forum.

You should hunt down the hackers and make them reimburse you for the money you had to spend on the new software and other costs you had to pay to put the forum back together. Dont let those douchebags get away with it.

Now: one question concerning the switch from the old to new forum. Is there any way to retrieve old u2u's or are they gone forever?

Edited by KoZed

I think you did a great jobh answering to that shutdown. Congratulations for setting up a new board so quickly. I think every user of HW should realize how lucky we are to have Admins who care that much about their forum.

You should hunt down the hackers and make them reimburse you for the money you had to spend on the new software and other costs you had to pay to put the forum back together. Dont let those douchebags get away with it.

Now: one question concerning the switch from the old to new forum. Is there any way to retrieve old u2u's or are they gone forever?

Thanks.

Well, for the U2U, we'll make an attempt to transfer them again over here. I hope it works.. I had old U2U archives from early 2003!!

Just something I noticed (might be on purpose, I don't know) but Guests can't view the Habs section of the forums. Every other forum is shown, and then once you log in it appears.

Is this on purpose? and if it is, isn't that the part of the site we want potential members to see?

Well I just want to weigh in and say how much I appreciate the work the admins here put into getting everything up and running again after the gutless hacking job we got for Christmas -- I hadn't realized how serious it was until now actually.

Hope you guys can settle back with friends and family and Bailey's and mistletoe and have a nice little break. Four (road) games in six days for the Habs from the 26th, so here's to a nice little well-deserved rest time for one and all!

The only problems I've noticed so far are those related to user Confusion and Adaptation Syndrome medically known as CAAS.

Of course, this is not to be confused by the related syndrome, Adaptation Society Syndrome (ASS).

The readers of this post are strongly advised to beware of the proponents of the pseudosyndrome known as Basic Adaptation Society Syndrome (BASS). Our profession has publicly stated that, despite the fine lines and the way it hooks and tackles the reelated issues, this outlook is basically very fishy.

Please do not get caught up in it's net so as to become a landed victim. Most of you would be out of your waters.

The only problems I've noticed so far are those related to user Confusion and Adaptation Syndrome medically known as CAAS.

Of course, this is not to be confused by the related syndrome, Adaptation Society Syndrome (ASS).

The readers of this post are strongly advised to beware of the proponents of the pseudosyndrome known as Basic Adaptation Society Syndrome (BASS). Our profession has publicly stated that, despite the fine lines and the way it hooks and tackles the reelated issues, this outlook is basically very fishy.

Please do not get caught up in it's net so as to become a landed victim. Most of you would be out of your waters.

... ... ... Wh... What? :wacko:

Edited by spathe

i encourage everybody to try the 'my assistant' function. Very cool. Also, if you are like me and enjoy 'view new posts', here is a cool thing to try. When you are done reading the new posts, click n the 'mark as read and return to index' button. When you click on 'view new posts', nothing shows up! Only threads that have posts dated after you hit the mark as read button show up... this I like.

Also, look at the icon to the left of a thread before you read. If it is dark blue or dark red, there is a new post. If it is light blue or light red, you've read everything there.

Aso you might be able to tell, I have trouble keeping my threads straight.

Also, very cool feature that double posts get merged. I appreciate this in the game thread, where I sometimes am guilty of double posting.

Edited by simonus

... ... ... Wh... What? :wacko:

Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...... cough! cough! cough! sputter, sputter... wheeeezzzzzzzzze.... :lol:

Wow I agree with KoZed on this one, what the hell did Shortcat post.

Hehe, well if I can translate, it will take an adaptation to get used to the new forums.

There are so many new buttons and functions, it'll take some time for everyone (and maybe a little more to the elders hehe ;) )

WAY TO GOO!!!! FOZZY THE POLICE OFFICER IS BACK FOR CHRISTMAS!!! :D:clap::o

WOOHOO

rating feature,

Here is a new feature I just discovered:

Go on a big thread, and check the options on the top right. Try "Outline".. and check the result :D

1) The Outline thing is very convenient. Turns the page into the TSN or RDS boards style. I haven't found the difference between Standard and Linear though.

2) I don't understand how the ratings work. You rate the thread and then what?

3) A new feature I really like is that you can jump to any page of the thread you want. It's much better than going page by page through a long thread.

And the assistant is pretty cool though. Luckily my PMs aren't lost. But I have no more room in my Inbox so I have to keep deleting old ones. Is there no way around that?

I personally do not like the "new format" it seems to me more difficult to navigate I liked the old hot topics on the side now i 'm not sure where to go. I must admit that I am less interested than I was but I am a newbie as you make so painfully obvious so i'll keep checking back but by and large I dont like it :(

I personally do not like the "new format" it seems to me more difficult to navigate I liked the old hot topics on the side now i 'm not sure where to go. I must admit that I am less interested than I was but I am a newbie as you make so painfully obvious so i'll keep checking back but by and large I dont like it :(

It's definitely a learning process for all of us, 'newbie' or not...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by hot topics, but on this incarnation of the board frequently viewed topics have red icons on the left while less frequently viewed topics have blue icons.

The icn is dark red or dark blue if there are new messages on the thread, light red or light blue if there are not.

Just go to 'view new posts' on the upper right hand side of the navigation bar at the top of the page.

If you have any problems or questions, please message me (just click on the PM button below my name to the left of this post).

On another note: are people giving you a hard time for being new? I haven't seen it, but just know that most any view expressed here, no matter how fervently, is not necisarily shared by even a significant portion of the posters.

Wow I agree with KoZed on this one, what the hell did Shortcat post.

May I say it again, with emphasis:

"Heheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...... cough! cough! cough! sputter, sputter... wheeeezzzzzzzzze...." :lol:

(3 to go)

Edited by shortcat1

Hehe, well if I can translate, it will take an adaptation to get used to the new forums.

There are so many new buttons and functions, it'll take some time for everyone (and maybe a little more to the elders hehe ;) )

WAY TO GOO!!!! FOZZY THE POLICE OFFICER IS BACK FOR CHRISTMAS!!! :D:clap::o

WOOHOO

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................. it meant that? :blink:

I could have sworn that it was just a whole lot of 1971 acid-ingested flashback creating a Dylanesque stream of consciousness cryptically disjointed outflow of peace, love, and flowersy showersy phraseolersy. B)

or...........................................................................................

just a load of C.... R.... (please insert the VOWEL of your choice here)..............P!

:wacko:

(2 to go)

Edited by shortcat1