Habs-Golden Knights Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

"the officiating in this game was the worst officiating game I've seen in this years playoffs.  It was awful."  Craig Button, @1:38:

https://www.tsn.ca/NHL/video/button-habs-victory-wasnt-just-luck-they-deserve-credit-for-find~2224064

He's absolutely right on all accounts. 

• Like 1

I just hope the Hab players dont start bitching to the officials (Perry likely gets a freebie smartass remark or two, as all the officials have seen replay by now), but wont help or change much.

9 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A little prayer before tomorrow's game?

Amen. Hockey is the reason God made winter and the Habs are the reason God made hockey. Every kid knows this don't they? And the Ghosts sure chipped in when needed! 

10 hours ago, DON said:

I just hope the Hab players dont start bitching to the officials (Perry likely gets a freebie smartass remark or two, as all the officials have seen replay by now), but wont help or change much.

Especially when those officials are the same ones as Game 3...

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Be careful. If all this whining about Lee seeps into the players’ heads, it can provide them with an excuse.

It's the owner's job to call this stuff out, and so far our owner appears to be a gutless league yes-man, content to count his stacks of money rather than show any passion and get involved.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Be careful. If all this whining about Lee seeps into the players’ heads, it can provide them with an excuse.

I’m with cucumber on this one. 

We won in spite of them. 

There’s no reason to pour kerosene on the fire. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 11:06 AM, sbhatt said:

It's the owner's job to call this stuff out, and so far our owner appears to be a gutless league yes-man, content to count his stacks of money rather than show any passion and get involved.

The officiating reviews happen behind the scene and are not privy to media reporting.  Just because it doesn’t appear anything is happening, it’s mean there is nothing is happening.

To see the stark difference between game 3 and game 4 penalty calls, has a strong indication something happened.  Was it for the better?  In my opinion, no, but something happened.

The truth is the Habs are better on the PP than the Knights at this point, despite having nearly half the chances.  If the series were called evenly, dispite actual penalties committed which is typically the standard as game management(I hate that term so much), the Habs would have the clear advantage on special teams.

15 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

... The truth is the Habs are better on the PP than the Knights at this point, despite having nearly half the chances.  If the series were called evenly, dispite actual penalties committed which is typically the standard as game management(I hate that term so much), the Habs would have the clear advantage on special teams.

Agreed ... Vegas is last in PP% these playoffs ... and was surprisingly (given their talent) 22nd during the regular season ... since joining the league they are, cumulatively, 19th overall ... they've only had one good PP season (19-20 when they were 9th overall ... otherwise they were 14th, 25th and 22nd).

But if the games were called closer to "by the book" I'm not certain the Habs' Walls protect and walls limit defence style would endure.

On 12/15/2011 at 8:57 PM, Commandant said:

Worst Refs in the NHL

3) Tim Peel

2) Stephane Auger

and far and away... the #1,.... undisputed king.

Chris Lee.

Shit doesn't change much  :D

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Shit, I've known for over a decade how bad Chris Lee is and the NHL still uses him in the ####ing semifinal.

At least the other 2 retired. 

Game 5 reffing was perfect and an example of how playoffs should be called. 

Contrast that with the Lee’s prison rules style. How does Lee still have a job?

NHL needs fresh thinking in all areas of the sport. Player safety and reffing are not in good shape at all

• Like 3

On 6/23/2021 at 2:12 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Game 5 reffing was perfect and an example of how playoffs should be called. 

Contrast that with the Lee’s prison rules style. How does Lee still have a job?

NHL needs fresh thinking in all areas of the sport. Player safety and reffing are not in good shape at all

The absolute worse part of Chris Lee’s officiating is in back to back games it went from calling everything to calling nothing.  He’s officiating style is like bipolar disorder and you never know what you will get

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

The absolute worse part of Chris Lee’s officiating is in back to back games it went from calling everything to calling nothing.  He’s officiating style is like bipolar disorder and you never know what you will get

Hahahah! Good one. 

45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If Danault and Gallagher are on the ice together the Canadiens have not given up a single 5v5 goal in the playoffs.... that's 180+ minutes.

That is a crazy stat.

One thing about this Playoff run so far is that I definitely think more highly of Danault than I used to.  I'm still unsure if I'd pay him close to 6 mil/yr but he is probably worth 5mil/yr though.  

For me, I've never really thought of Danault as being a great passer even though usually has quite a few assists every year.  I dont consider him being in the Habs top 5 passers.  I somewhat viewed Danault of being the beneficiary of playing with 2 wingers that get close to 60 g/yr.  However, his pass to Lehks on the OT goal was unarguably an incredible play.

At least he didn't say Cauliflower ...

16 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

That is a crazy stat.

One thing about this Playoff run so far is that I definitely think more highly of Danault than I used to.  I'm still unsure if I'd pay him close to 6 mil/yr but he is probably worth 5mil/yr though.  

For me, I've never really thought of Danault as being a great passer even though usually has quite a few assists every year.  I dont consider him being in the Habs top 5 passers.  I somewhat viewed Danault of being the beneficiary of playing with 2 wingers that get close to 60 g/yr.  However, his pass to Lehks on the OT goal was unarguably an incredible play.

As was the shot. Lekhonan is usually criticized for having no finish , but he’s scored some big goals in these playoffs.

Caufield reminds me of nobody so much as Martin St Louis.

I’m NOT saying he is going to be a player of that level (although part of me is reluctant to rule that out). It’s just that St Louis is the template for his game, IMHO.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m NOT saying he is going to be a player of that level (although part of me is reluctant to rule that out). It’s just that St Louis is the template for his game, IMHO.

That’s a good template 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

At least he didn't say Cauliflower ...

😄

Subban seems to harbour no ill feelings for the team. And given how many people on this forum misspell Caufield, I'll forgive that to PK as well!

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Gionta or Parise maybe?