Round 3, Game 1 Habs vs Vegas 9:00PM ET

JoeLassister

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Just one game.  We've been down worse before.  Like in the first round when it was 3-1

For sure. But we need to adjust. This is a MUCH better and more complete team than Toronto and Winnipeg and actually have a pretty elite D core - which e haven’t had to face all year in the North.

5 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

I liked our first 10 minutes best... 

Yeah. Could have been different if f Gallagher had buried a couple of his chances.

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah. Could have been different if f Gallagher had buried a couple of his chances.

Agree. I was worried when Fleury made those huge saves - you only get so many of those chances. But the first 10 minutes suggested that, not only could we play with these guys, we could carry the play against them. Unfortunately the other 40 put the lie to that pleasant notion.

Like Commandant, I’m not panicking. It’ll be about adjustments, and I expect a better overall effort on Wednesday. I would not be shocked if Kulak sits, even though Gustaffson was at least as responsible as Chiarot for the first goal.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was more making the point that the Habs can’t really “activate” their D for offensive purposes. They don’t have the horses to do that. As for Chiarot, yeah, he has not been good tonight.

Ďeboer activated his d on advice from Paul Maurice. Tnats what I was saying.

42 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Ďeboer activated his d on advice from Paul Maurice. Tnats what I was saying.

He actually has D that he can activate. The only real reliable offensive dman we have is Petry and we don’t know when he’ll be back or how effective he’ll be.

the VGK D has been active throughout the playoffs, so while Maurice may have suggested it, it’s not like their bad wasn’t already involved. 

the only real good play by our D tonight was the hit laid out by Romanov. As far as offence goes, they were a black hole.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Like Commandant, I’m not panicking. It’ll be about adjustments, and I expect a better overall effort on Wednesday. I would not be shocked if Kulak sits, even though Gustaffson was at least as responsible as Chiarot for the first goal.

Ducharme has actually been pretty good on adjustments. I was hoping to see some quick changes for the third period but I suspect that was too much to expect. Let's see what he comes up with for tomorrow. And whether we might see Petry. I don't expect Evans to be ready for a while yet.

The pressure stemming from the penalties got to the defense.  Too many times, after the consecutive penalties in the beginning on the second, the Habs were just attempting to throw the puck out of their own zone instead of a controlled breakout. Lots of those times they weren’t under pressure.  Most of those time it was picked up by a Vegas player and dumped back in.  When it wasn’t picked up by a Vegas player, forwards were tired and dumped it in the Vegas zone for a line change.  Rinse and repeat.

They never actually recovered from that until last 4 or 5 minutes of the game.  

29 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The pressure stemming from the penalties got to the defense.  Too many times, after the consecutive penalties in the beginning on the second, the Habs were just attempting to throw the puck out of their own zone instead of a controlled breakout. Lots of those times they weren’t under pressure.  Most of those time it was picked up by a Vegas player and dumped back in.  When it wasn’t picked up by a Vegas player, forwards were tired and dumped it in the Vegas zone for a line change.  Rinse and repeat.

They never actually recovered from that until last 4 or 5 minutes of the game.  

You’re basically describing how we played for the first four games against TO. 

This team clicked when the D and FWs suddenly started playing in sync. The good news is that, if Game One represented a reversion to older bad habits, this group has already shown that it understands how to overcome those habits. 

Let’s hope they can find the switch in time. I don’t relish being down 2-0 against a team as utterly rock solid as Vegas.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This team clicked when the D and FWs suddenly started playing in sync. The good news is that, if Game One represented a reversion to older bad habits, this group has already shown that it understands how to overcome those habits. 

Let’s hope they can find the switch in time. I don’t relish being down 2-0 against a team as utterly rock solid as Vegas.

This is really it, I agree!

Great start but no finish. 

Great to see Caufield score, too bad for Price.

4 for 4 on the PK and 1/3 on the PP, special teams could be to Habs advantage for this series.

Chariot spent half the game whining to refs didnt he? 

Not sure how i feel on "Kulak's" goal against, should he been able to tie up stick...i dunno?

:gohabsgo:

Do Habs now have 2 d-men with dislocated fingers?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Habs also show they can do the same to Vegas in the first period and showed they can recover from it as well, it was just too late in game 1.  

One huge factor statistically is Vegas is horrible on special teams, roughly 12% on the PP and 71% on the PK.  Habs can exploit this, they popped one in during game 1.  They just either need to clean up the penalties or recover faster after a penalty.

I still believe this series isn’t as one-sided as the media is portraying.

Until the Habs win one game, the media is right to report that the Habs are overmatched with no sign of response

but fans know that the team CAN do better, HAS done better and that they have bought into Don’s system which SHALL prove they belong in the semis

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Until the Habs win one game, the media is right to report that the Habs are overmatched with no sign of response

Because they lost 1 game? Sweet Jesus, here we go again.

Did you hurt your ankles jumping off the bandwagon Mr. P, or did knee jerk reaction cause you any pain?:youpi:

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Because they lost 1 game? Sweet Jesus, here we go again.

Did you hurt your ankles jumping off the bandwagon Mr. P, or did knee jerk reaction cause you any pain?:youpi:

Just remember that the media in question is either American or based in Toronto.  Plus the NHL would LOVE a franchise team like Vegas to win the cup.  

Speaking of Toronto, did anyone else watching the CBC commentators slip in a Leafs reference during the second period last night?  Chiarot put the puck over the glass beginning of the second and they couldn’t help themselves and brought up the Leafs did it 3 times in one game.  They can’t help themselves.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Just remember that the media in question is either American or based in Toronto.  Plus the NHL would LOVE a franchise team like Vegas to win the cup.  

Speaking of Toronto, did anyone else watching the CBC commentators slip in a Leafs reference during the second period last night?  Chiarot put the puck over the glass beginning of the second and they couldn’t help themselves and brought up the Leafs did it 3 times in one game.  They can’t help themselves.

They're still grieving. Hahahaha... :-) 

Media, lol. Back when I toured we used to have to deal with them. Most regular people don't even know it is an acronym.

Morons Eating Doughnuts In Atrium MEDIA . Never let them bug you, they only exist to be tortured with stupid answers. 

15 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Media, lol. Back when I toured we used to have to deal with them. Most regular people don't even know it is an acronym.

Morons Eating Doughnuts In Atrium MEDIA . Never let them bug you, they only exist to be tortured with stupid answers. 

How was your show last night?...... I don't remember

How was the crowd?...... I couldn't see them through the lights or hear them with my earbuds in

Do you like Ohio?...... What is Ohio?

Your new album is a bit of a step away from your normal........ Who is normal?

I figure sports writers are about as easy to torture. 

Tough game last night.........I don't remember

The crowd seemed to give them support...... We wear our own supporters

How will you get back in the series? Probably through the gate but I my go over the boards.

Just abuse the dweebs and always remember, those who have zero talent and can't DO write about those that can. Writing is a skill for those with no natural talent, be it athletic, musical or any other form of talent. 

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

How was your show last night?...... I don't remember

How was the crowd?...... I couldn't see them through the lights or hear them with my earbuds in

Do you like Ohio?...... What is Ohio?

Your new album is a bit of a step away from your normal........ Who is normal?

I figure sports writers are about as easy to torture. 

Tough game last night.........I don't remember

The crowd seemed to give them support...... We wear our own supporters

How will you get back in the series? Probably through the gate but I my go over the boards.

Just abuse the dweebs and always remember, those who have zero talent and can't DO write about those that can. Writing is a skill for those with no natural talent, be it athletic, musical or any other form of talent. 

I am starting to think that maybe you are not a fan of the media?? Someone has to do the job.