Habs Scout Avs

gohabsgo252006

Spectors says that The Denver Post reported that the Habs had a scout at the last Avs game. NO word on any potential rumours coming out of that, Other than Spector saying the deal likely is not going to involve a swap of goalies.

Both teams are struggling I wouldn't be surprised if BG is interested in a guy like Hejduk. He's not producing with the Avs, has a history with Bulis from last year and is a proven goal scorer. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. I can't think of anyobdy else that could be discussed. Just thought I'd throw this out there and see what anybody is thinking.

ANybody know his salary?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know but i would like to see zednik for hejduk, this team needs a change.

IF the Habs got Hejduk for Zednik that would be the deal of the century for the Habs. I would be so happy he is so creative with the puck and for sure is a proven goal scorer with a couple cup rings to boot.

I agree, doesn't seem like much news at all.

For the one who asked whom we could possibly be interested in: Liles. He's one of the hottest offensive defensemen in the league. He's got more goals that most of our forwards.

For the one who asked whom we could possibly be interested in: Liles. He's one of the hottest offensive defensemen in the league. He's got more goals that most of our forwards.

Hey, what team isn't interested in getting Liles?

The problem is that there is one team unwilling to part with him. And if they are, the price to be paid will be hefty.

TQS 110% reports that when Phoenix was at Montreal in mid December there were three Avs scouts in attendance. Adrian Dater reports a scout from the Montreal Canadiens attended a second consecutive Avalanche game on Wednesday.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3351850

It's speculated Theodore is Lacroix's target, but with Jose making $4.5 million for this season, $5 million for next. And considering that the the Avs limited cap space -- $1.8 million, it seems highly unlikely. Colorado would have to part with a player(s) making a total of 2.7 to work under cap and even then that would leave zero "wiggle room" which is not a logical idea. The more likely scenario has 4.5 million in player(s) coming back.

It's obvious that there is something going on. Talking that is. Talking doesn't necessarily mean action though.

We will see soon.

is there really an attractive way to lose theo? He is a top-tier goalie, even if his current season numbers are not that great. Do you want Danis or Huet backstopping this team on a permanent basis? I wouldnt even particularly want Aebischer doing it. Price is a gamble and that gamble won't be decided for years.

I sure hope any Theo talk is plain rumour.

Being such a great fan of Theo (LOL), I wouldn't mind seeing him get traded for Aebischer and Tanguay or Hejduk. Salaries are similar and it would give us some offensive punch.

Zednik could become trade bait. Why not add him in the trade for Liles.

Theo and Zednik for Aebischer, Tanguay and Liles.

I would do that right away. Yes Aebischer is strugling but maybe a change of air would be good for him. He did have a great season 2 years ago. Same for Theo, he only ever had one great season, the other seasons have been good but nothing worth a 5M$ salary. Our team would be much better this way. Tanguay for a great first line (Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev) WOW!!! Liles to upgrade our D and finally we would have a good quaterback for our PP. As for Aebischer, the way Theo as been playing this year, there's not much difference there. Go ahead Theo lovers, say what you want, the stats are there to prove it, a 3.06 GAA with a .892 SV% is nothing to get excited about. He wasn't even close to making team Canada. Its time to trade him NOW!!! Better trade a player to soon then too late, and too late is coming up fast for this guy... Worst case, there will be UFA next year available. Its not like we have the team to win the Cup this year. Too many deadwood without hearts on this team. Where was most of the players during Kovalev's and Koivu's injuries??? Funny how other teams are doing great without their key players when injured and we become a joke....time to make trades...Theo wasn't there and will never be.

I don’t think the Habs will move Theo this year. He has been a great playoff goalie, so I am sure Gainey knows this team will make the playoffs and if Theo stands on his head again then he will remain in Montreal. I agree though his numbers this year are nothing he should be pleased with that is except for his record 14-7-5 which is after all the most important goaltending number.

If the his record was 7-14-5 and he had a 1.99 GAA and a .935 save % then in my opinion I would want to move him more so. But wins are what matter. Lets give Theo at least one more playoff run before we deal him away.

i see your point about the wins, JMMR... but I'd almost argue it the other way.

IF theo has a 1.99 GAA and doesnt get the win, the team isnt scoring for him.

If theo hasa 3.0x GAA and gets the win, the team is winning in spite of him.

Not saying this is the case, but it would be a legitimate argument.

Edited by simonus

Gainey will not trade theo until the end of the playoffs when he will be the most attractive bait in our roster.. If theo explodes on this playoff will be get more than just a Tanguay and Liles... and this is the year (next) for it!

You know what? I'm not even gonna bother here. But these offers are terrible. God forbid 1) Gainey has even proposed them and 2) Pierre actually thought about it.

Oh, and stop including Liles and Tanguay. They're all but untouchable right now.

You know what? I'm not even gonna bother here. But these offers are terrible. God forbid 1) Gainey has even proposed them and 2) Pierre actually thought about it.

Oh, and stop including Liles and Tanguay. They're all but untouchable right now.

First, nobody is ever untouchable. (Its called the Gretzky rule) They are very touchable because they are who other teams are interested in and they represent the few trade baits the Avs have if they want to get a goalie. Add Svatos and Hejduk and that's about all the Avs have to offer to other teams. The rest is garbage, too expensive or too old.

Second, I don't think that any of us know who's untouchable on any team except their GMs, so give us a break with you knowing who's untouchable. You probably would have told us that Thornton was untouchable and that we are all crazy prior to Boston trading him...but yet he got traded and for not that much in return I might add.

Third, everybody in the world knows that the Avs are desperate for a goalie. Not saying that this is what the 2 teams are discussing, but I'm sure that at a minimum, Pierre Lacroix ask BG if Theo was available, otherwise he wouldn't be doing is job!!! To get Theo, you have to give something good that fits in the cap, I would like to see you come up with a fair deal for both teams that fits in the cap. Theo is 5.3M$ and the Avs only have 1.8M$ under the cap, so they have to give up Tanguay or Hejduk with Aebisher to make anything fit.

Fourth, in what sens are these offers terrible? If you're going to complain and bash other people's comments, atleast have the guts to say why otherwise keep your comments to your self, its easy to criticize without backing it up.

You're missing the point though, a goalie isn't our number one priority. Budaj has proved capable to be the starter and Kolesnik was solid while with the big club (with the exception of the game against Phoenix. 3 goals in 3 minutes, ouch). So no, we're not desperate for a goalie. We're desperate to get rid of Aebischer. He's wasting 1.9 mil of our cap space. Just about every Avs fan is fine with a Budaj/Kolesnik duo. Maybe sign someone a little more reliable to backup Budaj (I believe Potvin is still a FA. Not sure if hes announced retirement or anything though, it's just a thought).

I had a nice little page backing it up but instead of stepping on peoples toes, I kept it short and simple. This isn't my teams site so I can't really afford to come across as a troll. And if that was "bashing and complaining" then you need to get out more. I'm adding a sense of reality.

"All but untouchable" means they're close to or really hard to get. You learn these terms when you're in leagues, such as the HWL. So what I meant was it's going to take a completely mindblowing offer to deal Tanguay or Liles. And don't even compare either one to the Thornton deal. Or Gretzky for that matter. Those situations were both about money and the owners not wanting to pay up.

And honestly, the only god awful one I really saw was yours. We deal a stuggling goalie for a stuggling goalie. We deal the cornerstone of our future for one of the better 1s/2nd line scorers in the league. And for good measure, why not throw in our future #1 defenseman and already capable PP QB. Now please explain how this makes sense for COLORADO. Not Montreal but Colorado. This is an old team that already doesn't have much in terms of youth. And in the salary cap era, young players just become that more valuable. We'll be in a rebuilding phase as early as the deadline so dealing our future stars makes no sense.

Oh, and thanks for telling me most of my team is garbage. I appreciate it. :)

You're missing the point though, a goalie isn't our number one priority. Budaj has proved capable to be the starter and Kolesnik was solid while with the big club (with the exception of the game against Phoenix. 3 goals in 3 minutes, ouch). So no, we're not desperate for a goalie. We're desperate to get rid of Aebischer. He's wasting 1.9 mil of our cap space. Just about every Avs fan is fine with a Budaj/Kolesnik duo. Maybe sign someone a little more reliable to backup Budaj (I believe Potvin is still a FA. Not sure if hes announced retirement or anything though, it's just a thought).

I had a nice little page backing it up but instead of stepping on peoples toes, I kept it short and simple. This isn't my teams site so I can't really afford to come across as a troll. And if that was "bashing and complaining" then you need to get out more. I'm adding a sense of reality.

"All but untouchable" means they're close to or really hard to get. You learn these terms when you're in leagues, such as the HWL. So what I meant was it's going to take a completely mindblowing offer to deal Tanguay or Liles. And don't even compare either one to the Thornton deal. Or Gretzky for that matter. Those situations were both about money and the owners not wanting to pay up.

And honestly, the only god awful one I really saw was yours. We deal a stuggling goalie for a stuggling goalie. We deal the cornerstone of our future for one of the better 1s/2nd line scorers in the league. And for good measure, why not throw in our future #1 defenseman and already capable PP QB. Now please explain how this makes sense for COLORADO. Not Montreal but Colorado. This is an old team that already doesn't have much in terms of youth. And in the salary cap era, young players just become that more valuable. We'll be in a rebuilding phase as early as the deadline so dealing our future stars makes no sense.

Oh, and thanks for telling me most of my team is garbage. I appreciate it. :)

If a goalie isn't your #1 priority then what is it? You have the 3rd best offense, a good core of D (Blake, Brisebois, Liles) and nobody in net. Budaj isn't that great, Kolesnik was OK but struggled at the end (also, can't tell much because he only played a few games), none of your goalies have good stats, and the threesome that you had for a while is evidence that there's a problem there. None was able to assume the #1 role. The team is good enough for a cup except a goalie short. Blake, Sakic, Turgeon, none are getting younger I agree so I think that Pierre would aim for a cup while he still can, but he needs another goalie for that. I would say that you are and should be desperate for a goalie.

You said are offers are terrible, but that's from your point of view that you don't need a goalie, but I think that a goalie is what you need most. I'm sure that Pierre would trade our struggling goalie for yours in a heart beat. A struggling player doesn't make him a bad player. Maybe that player is unhappy where he is. Maybe a change of air would do them good. We have seen a zillion times good players who struggled get traded and turn things around. You trade based on their worth, not their current play. Roy was struggling when Houle offered him to you on a platter for pure crap in return.

It makes sens because your chance for a cup is now or not until a long time. Your best players are getting old. You need a #1 goalie. By replacing Tanguay by Zednik you don't lose that much offfense and you can afford it because you have the 3rd best offense in the league. Lose a little offense for a big improvement in nets is pure logic to me. Also, Tanguay is a UFA after next year and there's no telling that you will keep him. As for Liles, that's the price to pay to obtain something good in return. We can throw in Bouillon if you want to :D

As for Potvin, I think that he's done and over. Atlanta didn't even give him a call when they needed a goalie desperatly.

As for the rest of your team being garbage, sorry, I didn't know you were a Avs fan. I didn't mean the entire team, it was a figure of speach. Some are too old and expensive (Sakic, Blake, Turgeon) and some are garbage in the sens that they are not interesting players that we need. All teams have them. Sunny, Bulis, Bonk, etc. we also have plenty of garbage. Want to swap some of ours for yours? Maybe that's what Pierre and Bob are talking about?

Uh oh, you called Bulis garbage. *looks around for BTH*

And I understand where you're coming from but the offer conflicts with the direction the team is going in. Budaj isn't as bad as people think, our defense just doesn't play well in front of him. All he needs to do is gain their confidence. And for my own personal curiosity, I want to check this out.

Jose Theodore: 14-7-5 3.06 GAA .892 SV %

David Aebischer: 11-8-0 3.52 GAA .883 SV %

Peter Budaj: 5-5-3 2.86 GAA .895 SV %

Aebi and Theo are comparable while Budaj has better stats (albeit, less playing time). Do I see the need to deal a good chunk of our future for an expensive goalie who has the same stats (and only one really good year). No, not really. Theodore doesn't impress me and if Pierre absolutely, positively has to go out and get a goalie, then I want to see Biron or Luongo coming in and no one else. Biron would be cheap to get since they're trying to actually raise his stock right now and I'd be more then willing to include Hejduk in a deal for Luongo. But what I would want to see (and I've heard many Avs fans agree) is deal Aebischer and Vaananen/Boughner/Sauer for an upper-echelon d-man. I'd like to see Morris back since that was a stupid trade in the first place but I'm not sure what his salary is. But honestly, Budaj is perfectly capable of starting.

Agreed again. The Liles trade possibility is most likely the Lile trade impossibility.

:hlogo:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=148753&hubname=nhl

Looks like AVs are interested in Theodore. I can't see BG letting THeo go unless he got something extremely good in return. What's it with the AVs and their love of the Habs goalies.

Well, the fact that a former habs goalie who's name you all know won two cups for Avs should be reason enough :) Well, I'm not so sure about trading Theodore away, but as earlier have been mentioned, he still has a pretty high market value, and if he keeps playing like he has recently, it will sink, so now would be the time to deal him. I don't know about you, but wouldn't it be great to have Turgeon back on the team? Could there be a three way deal involved in this? Because I can't see Huet being able to get us anywhere in the playoffs, if he can even get us there, and not Aebischer either. If we let Theo go, Luongo or somebody in his caliber is what I'd like to see in return.

Heck, I don't care what we do about Theodore, just bring Roy back to our roster! :king:

Edited by DJ_Laszlo

Uh oh, you called Bulis garbage. *looks around for BTH*

And I understand where you're coming from but the offer conflicts with the direction the team is going in. Budaj isn't as bad as people think, our defense just doesn't play well in front of him. All he needs to do is gain their confidence. And for my own personal curiosity, I want to check this out.

Jose Theodore: 14-7-5 3.06 GAA .892 SV %

David Aebischer: 11-8-0 3.52 GAA .883 SV %

Peter Budaj: 5-5-3 2.86 GAA .895 SV %

Aebi and Theo are comparable while Budaj has better stats (albeit, less playing time). Do I see the need to deal a good chunk of our future for an expensive goalie who has the same stats (and only one really good year). No, not really. Theodore doesn't impress me and if Pierre absolutely, positively has to go out and get a goalie, then I want to see Biron or Luongo coming in and no one else. Biron would be cheap to get since they're trying to actually raise his stock right now and I'd be more then willing to include Hejduk in a deal for Luongo. But what I would want to see (and I've heard many Avs fans agree) is deal Aebischer and Vaananen/Boughner/Sauer for an upper-echelon d-man. I'd like to see Morris back since that was a stupid trade in the first place but I'm not sure what his salary is. But honestly, Budaj is perfectly capable of starting.

One important difference between both teams Cap space! your Avs are more likely to throw away than take up.. wouldnt even be surprised (although) unlikely your avs are interested in fact in Huet or Danis for that matter!