Round 3, Game 3, Golden Knights @ Canadiens, 8:00PM EST

TurdBurglar

5 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

had it not been for Fleury's mistake, we would be down 2-1. 

Can't mention that mistake, and not equally mention Staal's gift pass to Roy. That was equally boneheaded.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Neech said:

Holy shit. Still in disbelief.  What a game!  I'll remember this one a long time.  Caufield is such a gem, and Byron is a legend for what he's done in these playoffs.  Price was unbelievable aside from whatever dirt Pietrangelo's got on him. Amazing win!  

It was NUTS. The Ghosts! 

Just now, huzer said:

Can't mention that mistake, and not equally mention Staal's gift pass to Roy. That was equally boneheaded.

Fair enough!

5 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Watched the game in my buddy's backyard. Had the tv outside, had the bbq going and few cold ones as well!  The Habs had no business winning this game! They were a no-show for about 50 minutes. True, they dominated overtime, but had it not been for Fleury's mistake, we would be down 2-1. Thank the hockey gods and Pricewe come out on top!  Carey made another spectacular save...its as though he's making these unbelievable saves every game!!!

True, but Staal did royally mess up and gifted Vegas a goal.  However, I would say that they Habs stole this game.   This loss should get into Vegas' head for sure.  

Its hard to get the psychology of sport. How were they able to dominate so completely and set us back on our heels so completely while in other games we have played as a team and pressed the opposition to the wall. Are they just that much better than our team? Except in goal? 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Carey Fricken Price, ladies and gentlemen. 

Price, FLeury, and Anderson the three stars - for the habs😁

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Who wanted Anderson to sit?

I was pissed when he drove in too hard and knocked the net off its moorings and took away a potential scoring opportunity- but he made up for it in spades!!!

20 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Watched the game in my buddy's backyard. Had the tv outside, had the bbq going and few cold ones as well!  The Habs had no business winning this game! They were a no-show for about 50 minutes. True, they dominated overtime, but had it not been for Fleury's mistake, we would be down 2-1. Thank the hockey gods and Pricewe come out on top!  Carey made another spectacular save...its as though he's making these unbelievable saves every game!!!

The wife insisted we watch the game on the deck.  Setup the TV and watched this rollercoaster of a game.  Just after the Habs won, it started raining.  I blame it on the tears of Vegas fans.

• Upvote 1

Fleury has a history of comical floundering against the Habs, but I sure wasn’t expecting THAT 😀

Price is a god, but the fact is that we’ve been outplayed in all three games. We need to do better. That was fun, thouigh!

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fleury has a history of comical floundering against the Habs, but I sure wasn’t expecting THAT 😀

Price is a god, but the fact is that we’ve been outplayed in all three games. We need to do better. That was fun, thouigh!

It's the lack of an offensive Defensemen that's hurting us. Weber and Petry are playing hurt and they both can't take a slap shot. Which is why I don't understand why they don't play Romanov more.

8 hours ago, Habsfan said:

So, I will somewhat disagree with this. It's not the way you want to scrape out a win, but it was very much a team win -- Price is part of the team -- and the team hung on through regulation, and then came through with a superb effort in OT to win.

Fleury made a mistake to give up an easy goal, but so did Staal, so in my mind those two pretty much cancel each other out. And the refs did no favours for the Habs.

This morning, I am still impressed with Carey’s play to earn that win.

He was Phenomenal ! A true elite talent, Habs only elite talent 

I do not know how the rest of the series will go. Either team can win in in six 

but this morning I am just enjoying the feeling of being ahead on the semis; coffee tastes better and the day so beautiful

Now, what could I wish for for Father’s Day ? 🤔

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

... Fleury made a mistake to give up an easy goal, but so did Staal, so in my mind those two pretty much cancel each other out. And the refs did no favours for the Habs.

The Staal mistake I've seen many, many times ... it is an intentional act that should never have been attempted ... either he didn't see the GK or he thought he was clearing it "harder" ... either way a brain fart ... the MAF was less a mistake than a bad bounce mixed with some carelessness ... "something" made the puck bounce the way it did.

THE GHOSTS ARE BACK!

GHG

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

It's the lack of an offensive Defensemen that's hurting us. Weber and Petry are playing hurt and they both can't take a slap shot. Which is why I don't understand why they don't play Romanov more.

Romanov is not an offensive defenceman. Not at all.

This is indeed the structural weakness I've been banging on about for years - a D corps that is top-heavy with "heavy" defenders and lacks puck-movers. It is the team's Achilles' Heel, but one that we have managed to overcome, very impressively, up to this point. It hurt us (not fatally) against TO and it's hurting us more now that we are playing against a team that does have serious offensive push from the back end (although again, not fatally...yet).

I wonder if Gustaffson is more important to this configuration than people think. Yes, he is a disaster in his own end, but whenever he is on the ice and on the PP especially, the Habs start to move the puck around and forward. It's as if 10 minutes of Gustaffson adds just enough push from the back end to paper over the weakness. But clearly, no matter how this playoff plays out, MB needs to go get a top-4 puck-moving D-man, preferably LD. It's the final one of those longstanding holes that he needs to fill.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So, I will somewhat disagree with this. It's not the way you want to scrape out a win, but it was very much a team win -- Price is part of the team -- and the team hung on through regulation, and then came through with a superb effort in OT to win.

Fleury made a mistake to give up an easy goal, but so did Staal, so in my mind those two pretty much cancel each other out. And the refs did no favours for the Habs.

A W is a W. Especially in the playoffs. Fleury played the clown and the Habs capitalized. And yes, the game was there to be had in OT and they took it.

That being said, we will not win two more games if the discrepancy between the two teams is that severe. If I'm VGK I'm saying "keep doing what you're doing, boys, we're way better than these guys and will be rewarded in the end."

Maybe more significant was DD's absence. The Habs literally had a guy with zero head coaching experiencing managing the bench in that game. That's nuts. (Sure, DD may have been on the horn, but that is no substitute for being there). No disresepct to Richardson, but one of the things that these playoffs have revealed is how strong DD is at managing his bench. His absence, to me, is a significant handicap - more significant than the anarchist reffing. That the Habs overcame both is a tribute to the great Carey Price, as well as to the blood-and-guts quality of this group.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That being said, we will not win two more games if the discrepancy between the two teams is that severe. If I'm VGK I'm saying "keep doing what you're doing, boys, we're way better than these guys and will be rewarded in the end."

Maybe more significant was DD's absence. The Habs literally had a guy with zero head coaching experiencing managing the bench in that game. That's nuts. (Sure, DD may have been on the horn, but that is no substitute for being there). No disresepct to Richardson, but one of the things that these playoffs have revealed is how strong DD is at managing his bench. His absence, to me, is a significant handicap - more significant than the anarchist reffing. That the Habs overcame both is a tribute to the great Carey Price, as well as to the blood-and-guts quality of this group.

The play in the third period was far more even, maybe even with the edge to the Habs. If that's the starting point I'll feel much better.

Richardson does have three years as a head coach in the AHL on his resume. Not NHL, but still managing the bench.

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Romanov is not an offensive defenceman. Not at all.

This is indeed the structural weakness I've been banging on about for years - a D corps that is top-heavy with "heavy" defenders and lacks puck-movers. It is the team's Achilles' Heel, but one that we have managed to overcome, very impressively, up to this point. It hurt us (not fatally) against TO and it's hurting us more now that we are playing against a team that does have serious offensive push from the back end (although again, not fatally...yet).

I wonder if Gustaffson is more important to this configuration than people think. Yes, he is a disaster in his own end, but whenever he is on the ice and on the PP especially, the Habs start to move the puck around and forward. It's as if 10 minutes of Gustaffson adds just enough push from the back end to paper over the weakness. But clearly, no matter how this playoff plays out, MB needs to go get a top-4 puck-moving D-man, preferably LD. It's the final one of those longstanding holes that he needs to fill.

A W is a W. Especially in the playoffs. Fleury played the clown and the Habs capitalized. And yes, the game was there to be had in OT and they took it.

The keep doing what you’re doing is the logical path. 

However..

You best be sure that IF Montreal holds them off for the first two periods of game 4 Vegas will start doubting their ability to turn the series around. 

I’m so hoping we come and continue playing the way we did in overtime.