Round 3, Game 3, Golden Knights @ Canadiens, 8:00PM EST

TurdBurglar

Wife made a good point - with DD testing positive might have been in their heads a little - thinking of family and the possibility they’ll test positive.. hopefully a couple clean days of testing and the boys will come out flying.

13 hours ago, huzer said:

Can't mention that mistake, and not equally mention Staal's gift pass to Roy. That was equally boneheaded.

Top draft picks can do those, too ...

image.png

On 6/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, tomh009 said:

First dose only provides 50-ish per cent immunity -- and it's now only nine days after his vaccination.

Let's hope it's not the case.

It appears that Ducharme's second shot was only sometime this week, so it probably didn't provide much additional protection yet.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Romanov is not an offensive defenceman. Not at all.

This is indeed the structural weakness I've been banging on about for years - a D corps that is top-heavy with "heavy" defenders and lacks puck-movers. It is the team's Achilles' Heel, but one that we have managed to overcome, very impressively, up to this point. It hurt us (not fatally) against TO and it's hurting us more now that we are playing against a team that does have serious offensive push from the back end (although again, not fatally...yet).

I wonder if Gustaffson is more important to this configuration than people think. Yes, he is a disaster in his own end, but whenever he is on the ice and on the PP especially, the Habs start to move the puck around and forward. It's as if 10 minutes of Gustaffson adds just enough push from the back end to paper over the weakness. But clearly, no matter how this playoff plays out, MB needs to go get a top-4 puck-moving D-man, preferably LD. It's the final one of those longstanding holes that he needs to fill.

A W is a W. Especially in the playoffs. Fleury played the clown and the Habs capitalized. And yes, the game was there to be had in OT and they took it.

That being said, we will not win two more games if the discrepancy between the two teams is that severe. If I'm VGK I'm saying "keep doing what you're doing, boys, we're way better than these guys and will be rewarded in the end."

Maybe more significant was DD's absence. The Habs literally had a guy with zero head coaching experiencing managing the bench in that game. That's nuts. (Sure, DD may have been on the horn, but that is no substitute for being there). No disresepct to Richardson, but one of the things that these playoffs have revealed is how strong DD is at managing his bench. His absence, to me, is a significant handicap - more significant than the anarchist reffing. That the Habs overcame both is a tribute to the great Carey Price, as well as to the blood-and-guts quality of this group.

That's not how Bergevin sees Romanov, he's a big reason why they didn't bring in a OD in free agency. But Romanov is still young, I honestly think he could help a lot on that blueline.  But they just go with the vet's in the playoffs. 

But man i haven't loved a habs team as much as I do these guys. They just grow on you. The team chemistry hasn't been this high in a long time. Funny what winning does. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

That's not how Bergevin sees Romanov, he's a big reason why they didn't bring in a OD in free agency. But Romanov is still young, I honestly think he could help a lot on that blueline.  But they just go with the vet's in the playoffs. 

But man i haven't loved a habs team as much as I do these guys. They just grow on you. The team chemistry hasn't been this high in a long time. Funny what winning does. 

6 points in 54 games. Nothing about that - or his play, really - screams “impact offensive defenceman.” Maybe he will round into form and become a decent second-tier puck-mover eventually, but it would be ridiculous to expect that to suddenly manifest in the 2021 playoffs. Anyone calling for Romanov to slot in should NOT be doing so on the grounds that he will help the offence. 

39 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It appears that Ducharme's second shot was only sometime this week, so it probably didn't provide much additional protection yet.

The DD situation worries me. Does this mean he is out of commission for 14 days? If so, that means the Habs are weakened behind the bench for the duration of the series. 

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The DD situation worries me. Does this mean he is out of commission for 14 days? If so, that means the Habs are weakened behind the bench for the duration of the series. 

At most four games left in the series, so I don't think we'll see Ducharme in this series. If we do beat Vegas for a spot in the finals (not a done deal yet by any means) he should be able to return, but he might miss the first few games.

No word yet on today's test results for the rest of the team. This is the really worrisome thing.

One thing I don't get is why Vegas continues to dress Ryan Reaves?  Surely they have a better player to dress. His policeman like abilities are pretty much useless at this point in the playoffs. Nobody is going to waste their time getting into a fight with him.  What useful purpose does he serve?  Not complaining as I don't mind him using up a roster spot. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

6 points in 54 games. Nothing about that - or his play, really - screams “impact offensive defenceman.” Maybe he will round into form and become a decent second-tier puck-mover eventually, but it would be ridiculous to expect that to suddenly manifest in the 2021 playoffs. Anyone calling for Romanov to slot in should NOT be doing so on the grounds that he will help the offence. 

I agree with most of that but I believe he could potentially help the offence.  i.e. Chiarot and Edmundson have had a lot of shooting opportunities and have yet to score.  Any other dman if they had those same chances likely would have scored at least once. 

It sucks for Romy because around the end of the season he had improved significantly and was shooting better too.  I also think that he's watching Gustafsson and learning where and what he should do.  Romy is also decent with quick long breakout passes, which most of the other Habs dman are unable to do.  I believe Vegas could be highly vulnerable to fast counter attacks. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Does Dom actually have Covid though?  My understanding was that his test had "irregularities", which doesn't necessarily mean he tested positive for Covid.  ex:  if Bettman personally handled the samples himself and accidentally spilled coffee in Doms, then it would be an irregularity.  i.e. there wasnt coffee in the other samples.  I'm hoping it was more precautionary that he missed 1 game and that his next test will be normal.

Does anybody know if Dom has been tested again and what the results are for his other tests?  Any secondary test results is paramount to know when he might be back. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Irregularities meant he was positive for covid on the first test.

The second test confirmed he is positive.  They confirmed it wasnt a false positive.

Thx for the info.  I really wasn't sure due to them using the term irregularities.  They usually just say somebody tested positive.  With Covid, theres a ton of false positives.  That PCR test really isn't reliable and it was never intended to be used in that manner.  

Also, its extremely improbable that a Coach who works in close proximity with Players could catch Covid and none of the Players caught it.  That really makes no sense.   

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thx for the info.  I really wasn't sure due to them using the term irregularities.  They usually just say somebody tested positive.  With Covid, theres a ton of false positives.  That PCR test really isn't reliable and it was never intended to be used in that manner.  

Also, its extremely improbable that a Coach who works in close proximity with Players could catch Covid and none of the Players caught it.  That really makes no sense.   

Chances are first test was a rapid test, which has something like a 20% false positive rate, don't quote me on that number.  Secondary test confirmed it wasn't a false positive.

As for the players, it has a 5 day incubation period.  He may not of been contagious during his interactions, the first dose may of blocked it for many of the player, he may be immune-compromised and none of us know, lessening the effect of the first dose, or just lucky.

53 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

As for the players, it has a 5 day incubation period.  He may not of been contagious during his interactions, the first dose may of blocked it for many of the player, he may be immune-compromised and none of us know, lessening the effect of the first dose, or just lucky.

The players also got their second dose a little bit earlier than Ducharme did.

There are no absolutes with COVID infections, only risks and probabilities. But, yes, we won't know for sure until next week whether any players have been infected.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The thing is all the players got their second dose on June 9th, so there is some immunity in the players.

Hopefully enough that no one else tests positive. 

Some players also had it, remember our 10 day break earlier this season that caused the murderous schedule down the stretch?  So some players may have had immunity that way.

Well, as far as I know there is no such thing as immunity to Covid.  All the vax does is prevent it from advancing to the point where it can become fetal.  Thats all it does.  None of the vax's are able to block or prevent Covid so all vax'd people can still get it.  Covid is a corona virus, which is a type of Cold or Flu.  There is no magic pill or shot that can stop it.   

16 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, as far as I know there is no such thing as immunity to Covid.  All the vax does is prevent it from advancing to the point where it can become fetal.  Thats all it does.  None of the vax's are able to block or prevent Covid so all vax'd people can still get it.  Covid is a corona virus, which is a type of Cold or Flu.  There is no magic pill or shot that can stop it.   

The vaccine lowers the chance you get it and also lowers the severity of it on you. 

• Upvote 1

I just want to point out that everywhere you look today, not only do you see stories about how the Habs beat the Golden Knights, but there's an overwhelming belief that the officials were beyond terrible last night. 

I wonder if this may be the final straw in the Chris Lee officiating a Habs game coffin.

37 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

If effective, the Vax prevents the spike proteins from entering cells.

We don't know how long the immunity lasts, but yes it can give you immunity. 

Even in those who don't get immunity, it still can reduce the severity of infection.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I wonder if this may be the final straw in the Chris Lee officiating a Habs game coffin.

Dont be silly, you know Bettman gets a kick out of the fan reaction to Lee.

55 minutes ago, DON said:

Dont be silly, you know Bettman gets a kick out of the fan reaction to Lee.

The only way bettman would take action, is if Lee was caught in mic saying the worm got what he deserved, or he saw it but didn’t want to call it in OT - in that case the integrity of the game would be in question 🙄

Article in the athletic is saying Lee & O’Rourke are likely officiating again game 4. This is ridiculous.