Colin Campbell

zumpano21

Excellent article.

I think the fact that Tucker did not get suspended is a complete joke, who cares if he is the Leafs leading goal scorer, he hit Jansen in the head with his helmet not once but twice, no matter the level of intent or if Jansen was hurt should not matter. I was very upset when he was not shown at least a one game suspension for his actions, in fact I thought 3 games would have been far. But nope a $2500 fine was assessed which is not even a single percentage of is yearly salary.

I sort of agree with the guy who says that the use of the helmet was unintentional so the punishment shouldn't be based upon the idea of intent to injure.

Nevertheless, if we look at what happened to Perezhogin, his wasn't an intentional act either. Yes, the results were much more serious but still there was no intention to injure - it was merely a knee-jerk reaction by a guy who hardly had any penalty record in the AHL to begin with (an average of about one minute per game).

Tucker, on the other hand is an agitator who knows very well the path to the penalty box. He may not be a cement head as such but he's no Perezhogin in temperament either.

Should Tucker have received a suspension? On the basis of intent to injure... I don't think so. On the basis of being an example or precedent, if you will, because of the whole context of the fight and the albeit accidental use of the helmet, yes.

Bottom line, I think he should have had a suspension of at the very least one game.

How do you accidently hit someone with a helmet? :blink:

I'd consider a helmet to be the 3rd most dangerous weapon to hit someone with, right behind skates and a hockey stick. It was worthy of a suspension.

you accidentally hit someone with a helmet when your fingers or thumb gets caught in the strap as you're swinging. it's very plausable.

didnt tucker hit Jansen twice? First time might be an accident, but the second?

When he tore the helmet off, the strap got caught around his hand, so when he went to throw punches, the helmet came too. I don't fault Tucker too much for what happened. When you are in a fight, it's either punch or be punched. If he spends time trying to get the helmet off his hand, that would have given Jansen free shots.

However, I still think a one game suspension should have been handed down. As someone else pointed out, there was no intent to injure, but a precedent should be set.