Round 3, Game 4, Golden Knights @ Canadiens, 8:00PM EST

TurdBurglar

Son of a, that sucked.  This is the 1st time in these playoffs that Price has let in 2 weak goals in the same game.  Hopefully, Price is pissed at himself and will rebound next game and get a shutout.  

#### that sucks! This feels like a series changing loss. Hope I'm wrong and they come out flying again next game. 

The only good news is we won't have to deal with these individual refs next game. 

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Son of a, that sucked.  This is the 1st time in these playoffs that Price has let in 2 weak goals in the same game.  Hopefully, Price is pissed at himself and will rebound next game and get a shutout.  

Disagree that they were weak goals. Maybe you could make an argument for the first (though it was a perfect spot) he had no chance on the second. 

• Like 3

Very impressed with the game we mounted and its hard to fight off the desperation of a team down by one for a full period. 

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

One soft-ish goal...nothing he could do on the OT goal.  The screw-up there was Kotkaniemi not taking his man, and just floundering about.

First one is a tough save, but i expect Price to make it.

He made three saves before the second one went in... how about the defence doesn't allow them to get a 4th shot on the same rebounds?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

On to Game 5.. get a big road win and close it out at home. 

that would be great!

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My access to this site keeps cutting out - pity!

This is one of the worst-reffed games I have ever seen.

Habs playing like beasts and need to keep it up. This is the single best Habs team since 1993 when it comes to winning individual battles. 

How come he was never called “Breakway Byron?”

This was the worst reffed games I’ve EVER seen - and I’ve seen some pretty lousy reffing.

I kept losing access as well.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I believe that Byron was never given a nickname because most people are too busy thinking about his salary and what team he should be traded to.  

I can’t believe how good he’s been on breakaways in the playoffs.  When he was in Calgary the line on him you didn’t want him to get a breakaway, because he hardly ever finished. He had the wheels, but he’s hands and and head couldn’t keep up with his feet. He basically had hands of stone. He’s been much better on breakaways since coming to montreal and spectacular these playoffs.

26 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

One soft-ish goal...nothing he could do on the OT goal.  The screw-up there was Kotkaniemi not taking his man, and just floundering about.

I put that more on Chiarot but clearing the zone. The transition game seems to be go for the breakaway pass or give it away. The Vegas D has 7 friggin goals and our D not only can’t contribute to the offense, but can’t support a good transition game either. The guy who is supposed to be offensive - Gustafsson was scary bad.

33 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

On to Game 5.. get a big road win and close it out at home. 

Ya babee! The Ghosts wanted one more for the fans!!!

We need Gallagher to get going. He’s shooting under 6%. That line has to contribute offensively and start burying some chances. If not for the reffing I think we should be up 3-1, but we also need to bury our chances. Maybe swap Gallagher onto another line and have him play with some bigger players. He’s getting his chances, but he’s taking a beating. Need to do something to get him going.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I definitely agree that it wasn't played well by the others as well.  However, it looked like Price sorta overplayed the 2nd shot and then he was way out of position to have any chance on the shot that went in. 

The 1st time I saw that play there was something about it that reminded me of when a dman goes down on the ice to block a shot but the shooter doesnt shoot.  Instead the shooter just moves the puck over and then shoots around him.

The problem was that Price sprawls his upper body on the ice and ends up on his stomach.  It was his decision to shoot his 1 leg out and reach for the puck instead of staying upright on his knees and shoving over.    I agree that the shot was unstoppable but thats due to the position Price put himself in.  

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can’t believe how good he’s been on breakaways in the playoffs.  When he was in Calgary the line on him you didn’t want him to get a breakaway, because he hardly ever finished. He had the wheels, but he’s hands and and head couldn’t keep up with his feet. He basically had hands of stone. He’s been much better on breakaways since coming to montreal and spectacular these playoffs.

I saw you say that in another thread and dlbar mentioned the same in this game thread.  Ironically, I find that hard to believe because he's generally really good on breakaways since he's been with the Habs.   Byron basically had a bad season this year but his S% is usually crazy high and up there with elite snipers like OV, Pastrnak, etc.  It's wild how high his S% usually is.  

Hope they go back to Fleury next game. Overrated sieve. I have been saying it for years, but how the heck does Lee retain his job? He is a living example of everything wrong with unions and labour protection! I wouldn't want him reffing a kids game, let alone at this level. Zero accountability is the downfall of the NHL. 

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Hope they go back to Fleury next game...

Hope all you want ... I don't see it happening 

9 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Kotkaniemi wasn't there, but both D-men were also on the other side of the net. This was a comprehensive defensive failure we hadn't seen in regulation.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The Vegas D has 7 friggin goals and our D not only can’t contribute to the offense, but can’t support a good transition game either.

The big reason why Vegas D has so many goals is because it's the only weapon they have. For much of the four games, we have kept their forwards away from Price (see the heat maps I posted for this game for an example), and the scoring by their forwards is negligible.

Shooting from next to the blue ice is far more effective than shooting from the blue line.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The big reason why Vegas D has so many goals is because it's the only weapon they have. For much of the four games, we have kept their forwards away from Price (see the heat maps I posted for this game for an example), and the scoring by their forwards is negligible.

Shooting from next to the blue ice is far more effective than shooting from the blue line.

Their D have scoring been scoring from

up close (albeit not from the blue paint),  they have been sneaking in for closer shots. They have also controlled the play and prevented a lot of zone exits. Our D has been good at boxing out the forwards (which has left thr D wide open), and been either going forward thr home run pass, icing it or, coughing it up .

nith goals yesterday were a result of thr Not getting the puck out of our zone on fairly routine plays. Suzuki on the first one and Chariot on the second. The chariot flub was an example of a regular occurrence.

we were also lucky with Gustafsson’s flubs - I counted 4 in one shift!!! He does not belong in a playoff game. I think he’s contributed to two goals, but has come close to causing 5 in the past couple of games.

Suzuki 3shots 7 hits.

Anderson 2 shots 10 hits.

Armia/Lehkonen seemed involved also.

Gallagher 5 shots; but still shut out.

Just 1 shot from the d.

Edmundson led with 26:49.

Down to a best of 3 now, i think 100% of us would of taken that before series started.

A lot of complaining about the refs, why bother. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We need Gallagher to get going. He’s shooting under 6%. That line has to contribute offensively and start burying some chances. If not for the reffing I think we should be up 3-1, but we also need to bury our chances. Maybe swap Gallagher onto another line and have him play with some bigger players. He’s getting his chances, but he’s taking a beating. Need to do something to get him going.

Yep, I mentioned this before last night’s game as well. Thanks to MB’s brilliant moves, the team’s offensive centre of gravity has shifted away from Danault/Gally/Tatar to Toffoli, Suzuki, Anderson, Perry (!) and now Caufield. But Gally is supposed to be a 30-goal guy (and is getting paid to be one). I loved his game last night, but he NEEDS to get one.

A depressing loss for sure. In the big picture, it illustrates how things tend to even out. The Habs won a game they deserved to lose in Game 3, and lost a game they deserved to win in Game 4. Ironically, last night’s game is one to build on IMHO: the first game where we outplayed Vegas for most of the proceedings. But Game 5, in Vegas, with VGK feeling they have momentum and that they pulled a rabbit out of their hats with Lehner…it’s going to be tough.

I hated the tying goal. Not because “Price should have had it” but because it seemed to me a freak shot. Price did have it, it just bounced in such a way as to find the minuscule seam available to squeak into the net. Bad luck more than a bad goal.