Round 3, Game 5: Montreal Canadiens @ Golden Knights

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Three years of Tatar. And now Suzuki is ready for prime time.

Bergevin's odds on that award are getting shorter ...

That deal was three years ago ... neither acquisition really counts towards this year's award ... but Toffoli, Anderson, Perry, Edmundson and Caufield certainly do ... Staal, Merrill and Gustaffson less so as the award is for the regular season and none really did much then.

9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I did say back at the trade deadline when we couldn't score that we should trade Tatar get some useful draft picks that we could trade for someone else at the draft and play Caufield... I do believe i got laughed at  

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Seeing all the injuries we have had on D in the playoffs, and how our depth got us through those injuries.... I'm glad we also kept the depth at forward.  We may not have needed it as much as we did on D, but still five more wins to get and you never know when that depth can make an appearance. 

Id rather have some depth in case we get injuries at this point of the playoffs than a few extra picks. who cares about a couple picks.

Agreed Commandant ... and I don't believe the suggestions to trade Tarter or anyone else at the deadline (Habsfan89 was not alone in advocating dealing vets for picks/prospects) was with the belief that the team was making the playoffs, or had a chance to do much if they did ... not trading Tartar was a decision made to have the best team/depth possible for the playoffs, not the future.

I've seen players do this with pucks, but golf balls have a little more bounce in them ... impressive

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

At this point any would have, should have discussions regarding Bergevin are mute. 

The man built a team that is one win away from cup finals. Like him or not and agree with him or not, he did his job

Yes, MB delivered this year

discussing MB’s pass at this point is trolling

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

That deal was three years ago ... neither acquisition really counts towards this year's award ... but Toffoli, Anderson, Perry, Edmundson and Caufield certainly do ... Staal, Merrill and Gustaffson less so as the award is for the regular season and none really did much then.

The award is voted after the 2nd round of the playoffs and voters are allowed to take the first two rounds into account. 

It is the only NHL award that is done like this.

Bergevin’s success this season was a perfect storm that only could of happened during the pandemic.  Most of the NHL are playing a fair bit under the cap by design.  Less money for free agents, meaning free agents were signing for cheaper, so Montreal didn’t have to massively overpay to get players to play there.  It also made player available that wouldn’t of been available if it weren’t for the lower internal caps.

I don’t buy the argument that Montreal only made the playoffs because of the divisions.  Yes if east and west were separated according to the point they would of missed the playoffs, but they didn’t play Buffalo, New Jersey, Detroit, Columbus, San Jose, Los Angeles or Anaheim.  The North division actually had the best bottom feeders according to points.  Nobody can tell me if they played the worse team in the league they still would of had the same record.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The award is voted after the 2nd round of the playoffs and voters are allowed to take the first two rounds into account. 

It is the only NHL award that is done like this.

Thanks ... didn't know that ... seems counter intuitive to me ... in that case, Staal (especially), Merrill and Gustaffson were good additions to factor in.

53 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

... The North division actually had the best bottom feeders according to points.  Nobody can tell me if they played the worse team in the league they still would of had the same record.

Of course, was that because the rest of the division wasn't as strong as in other divisions (i.e., did the North bottom feeders have a better chance against the North's better teams because the latter weren't as strong - in the regular season - as the other divisions)?

We will never know ... I guess the best comparison might would be to look at the combined records from 19/20 and 21/22 after next season ... but even that doesn't take into account roster changes, the unbalanced schedule and the addition of Seattle next season which alters to equation ... so I'll go back to we'll never know.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs have two games to put away the VGKs, looking really impressive and likely to do it next game.

I am a half-full glass kind of fan, often defending MG, who ever is the coach and the vets whenever they falter

but never in my dreams I thouhgt the Habs would be one win away from the fricking Stanley Cup finals this season!

I am so happy to say:

:habslogo::habslogo::habslogo:

Go Habs Go!!!

:habslogo::habslogo::habslogo:

We're all smacking ourselves in the head except for those guys who are pinching themselves, but I'm not going to talk about them. :wacko: :hyper:

• Like 1

It sure seems a lot like 93. Keep going habs right to the cup. I called this series n 6 so let's finish up and kick their asses 1 more time. Is that a 25th banner I see waiting o be hung from the rafters. I hope so.

• Like 1

It is incredible the the Habs are so close to the Stanley Cup finals *** this season *** —if— they win one more game

it would be interesting to compare the goal differential and TOI between top4 Ds between 1993 and *** this season *** but that is too much work, so in __my_opinion__ i’ll say it is similar which proves that MB is as much a genius as Savard was

Of course this only happens because of the $$pandemic$$ and despite the NHL refs being inc-comp-e-tent :nuts:

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added clown emoji, because I am only goofing around

1 hour ago, Toronthab said:

We're all smacking ourselves in the head except for those guys who are pinching themselves, but I'm not going to talk about them. :wacko: :hyper:

You are funny, in both pinching and smacking versions

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Of course this only happens because of the $$pandemic$$ and despite the NHL refs being inc-comp-e-tent :nuts:

Maybe only because of the pandemic. Maybe. That's is really an alternative reality, and there are way too many variables there to know what our team would have looked like and whether we would have made the playoffs.

But the pandemic did come, and stayed, and then stayed some more. It may have provided some benefits, but it also made some things difficult (in the Habs' case, the second-half schedule) for everyone. That's the reality that everyone has to live with, and I don't see that it devalues this playoff run in any way.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Of course, was that because the rest of the division wasn't as strong as in other divisions (i.e., did the North bottom feeders have a better chance against the North's better teams because the latter weren't as strong - in the regular season - as the other divisions)?

We will never know ... I guess the best comparison might would be to look at the combined records from 19/20 and 21/22 after next season ... but even that doesn't take into account roster changes, the unbalanced schedule and the addition of Seattle next season which alters to equation ... so I'll go back to we'll never know.

I said at the start of the season, this is our best chance to get to the final 4, and have a legit chance at the cup, because there really is no perfect tram that had a strong O, G, and D. I thought we had the offence with the additions we made last summer - no real superstar, but a lot of depth a s scoring on the wings. Goaltending was improved by having a legit backup, but I didn’t think we would get as far as have with out D. Honestly, when I see our D play even in the last two games that I thought we dominated - the D scares the hell out of me. We struggle getting the puck out, and ice the puck too much, and have basically zero offensive contribution from the D. 

I still don’t know how we are here with the D we have, but an just happy that we are.

we have got breaks each series, Tavares  injury, Scheifele stupidity that led to suspension, and I can’t believe that Stone has zero production. He’s been stoned by Price (pun intended), but it’s unbelievable that he has zero production. I’m hoping for more good fortune in having the isles and TBL go the distance. I think getting the isles is more comfortable, but than TBL as scary as they are, have an injury hampered Hedman.  We also have bad breaks with injuries to Petry and Weber, but even with them healthy, our D would still have me close to a heart attack when we are in our own zone.

hopefully our offensive depth, mix of young kids and grizzled vets and Price can keep getting the job done.

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

It sure seems a lot like 93. Keep going habs right to the cup. I called this series n 6 so let's finish up and kick their asses 1 more time. Is that a 25th banner I see waiting o be hung from the rafters. I hope so.

I’d say 93 and 86. 86 with had rookies like Lemieux and Roy, young players like Chelios along with the vets Gainey, Robinson, Smith. It really looks like a team of destiny!!

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... I still don’t know how we are here with the D we have, but an just happy that we are ...

(1) Price ... defence can "play to their strengths" because the refs have swallowed ... perhaps the most timely and opportunistic scoring I can recall

(2) Agree
:D

Just now, GHT120 said:

(1) Price ... defence can "play to their strengths" because the refs have swallowed ... perhaps the most timely and opportunistic scoring I can recall

(2) Agree
:D

Oh , I get the Price impact, but even with Price being at his best the D has me squirming and close to a heart attack and when we are stuck in our zone.  Last game when it was 3-1, it looked like like the D had cost as a goal, but Price was there. The fear is of course is how sustainable it is! But than we did win 19 or 1q OT games in 93’ - and that sounds ridiculous as well!

What’s bonkers is when some of the tv taking heads or columnists blaming, or saying Price should have made saves on a couple of the goals in game 4. Those goals were a result of poor D coverage and getting hemmed into our zone. It’s just price’s level of play has been so high, that one some does score on a potentially “saveable goal”, the response is Price should have had it.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Honestly, when I see our D play even in the last two games that I thought we dominated - the D scares the hell out of me. We struggle getting the puck out, and ice the puck too much, and have basically zero offensive contribution from the D. 

I still don’t know how we are here with the D we have, but an just happy that we are.

I've been giving that some thought and I believe I have figured it out.  You are right that the d struggle to get the puck out, they arent very good at 1st passes, ice the puck often, and aren't contributing offensively.  

However, what the Habs dmen are excelling at is boxing out the other teams forwards and keeping the area in front of Price fairly open.  I believe that is why Romy and Kulak arent playing much, because they both lack the size to be able to do that.  The only reason that strategy works is if the dmen on both sides are capable of doing it. 

ex:  Markov, Subban, Emelin, Hamrlik were are all to small to be able to do it, where as Komiserik and Gill would have been large enough.  However, the Habs would have needed at least 2 more dmen of similar size to have tried doing this years ago.  A team needs at least 2 pairs of dmen that are capable of doing that for it to be highly successful.  

The Habs need another dman that is 6'3"+ 215lbs+ because another dman of similar size would totally be able to easily sub in with Weber, Chiarot, Edmundson or Petry.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

we have got breaks each series, Tavares  injury, Scheifele stupidity that led to suspension, and I can’t believe that Stone has zero production. He’s been stoned by Price (pun intended), but it’s unbelievable that he has zero production.

There have been "breaks" the other way, too. Drouin absence. Evans concussion (thanks, Scheifele). Merrill injury. Petry dislocated fingers. And a ridiculous lack of penalty calls.

You make your own luck. You take advantage of opportunities and bounces. You work hard. And that's how you win games.

And Stone's lack of production is not a "break" we got. Nine out of 12 Vegas forwards have failed to score. Do you really believe that's just luck? Price is playing lights-out, and our skaters are very much keeping the shots to the outside, giving Price an opportunity to deal with them. And our PK is playing a stellar, aggressive game, with four short-handed goals against only three allowed in 44 opportunities.

The Habs are certainly not the most skilled team in the league. But they are definitely not a single win away from the finals just because they are lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... The Habs need another dman that is 6'3"+ 215lbs+ because another dman of similar size would totally be able to easily sub in with Weber, Chiarot, Edmundson or Petry.

That formula works in the playoffs ... but the Habs almost didn't make the playoffs this year ... "built for the playoffs" is paying off handily at the moment, but it can only do so once you get there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Habs need another dman that is 6'3"+ 215lbs+ because another dman of similar size would totally be able to easily sub in with Weber, Chiarot, Edmundson or Petry.

guhle.jpg6'3" but only 203lb...so far.