Round 3, Game 6: Vegas Golden Knights @ Montreal Canadiens

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

would a good old transistor radio work? shortwave radio? (are games broadcast on shortwave?)

Ahhhh Shortwave radio!!

Having flashbacks of 10yr old me in 1986 on a remote Greek island trying to catch any type of international news to find out if they won the cup!!

Only took me 3 days. 

15 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Ahhhh Shortwave radio!!

Having flashbacks of 10yr old me in 1986 on a remote Greek island trying to catch any type of international news to find out if they won the cup!!

Only took me 3 days. 

Were the games broadcast on shortwave? 
by whom?

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I cried last night.  Im so happy.

I gave upvotes to as many of you as i could.

I hear you. Winning the cup would be such a dream come true. The future looks bright as KK, Suzuki and Caufield have grown so much. A lot of teams are going to regret passing on Caufield because of his size. 

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Were the games broadcast on shortwave? 
by whom?

Radio Canada International provided a shortwave service until 2012; since then, there is nothing from Canada. And I don't think RCI ever broadcast hockey games.

Streaming TSN 690 seems a far more likely solution, need to find Internet access somewhere.

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... The future looks bright as KK, Suzuki and Caufield have grown so much. A lot of teams are going to regret passing on Caufield because of his size. 

Caufield was a steal delivered on a silver platter by cowardly teams ... glad Habs weren't ... Suzuki was a great pickup (obviously) and looks like the Habs first legit 1C in forever ... KK is still a mystery to me ... ups his game in the post season ... scores some BIG goals but seems to have games where he disappears ... only just about to turn 21 so hopefully consistency will develop with time.

Kudos to Robin Lehner. 

e

Fleury did it right as well, in the handshake line

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Fleury did it right as well, in the handshake line

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Kudos to Robin Lehner. 

e

Classy Tweets by those guys.

I have to say - normally during the playoffs, I develop a real hate-on for whoever the Habs are facing. In  my mind, TO *deserved* to lose because TO is the Devil; WPG deserved to lose because of Scheifle's disgusting assault on Evans. But apart from irritation at how the NHL rigged the expansion rules to create a contender from scratch, I have no animus toward Vegas whatsoever. They work hard, they roll four lines, they play an admirable solid and dedicated game, and they play hard but basically clean. DeBoeur is a classy coach who speaks with unusual honesty, and those Tweets show a fundamentally sportsmanlike culture in the organization. All respect to them.

This hasn't been pointed out, but not long before the Habs won it, Max Pacioretty had a clear shot from right in the slot and Carey Price stoned him. There is a real poetry in that - and I'm sure, for MaxPac, a real agony knowing he had the game on his stick and could not beat his old G.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... But apart from irritation at how the NHL rigged the expansion rules to create a contender from scratch, I have no animus toward Vegas whatsoever ...

Agreed ... and "blame" for that goes to Bill Foley and the Maloof family (owners of Black Knight Sports & Entertainment) who were hardline bargainers with the NHL ... hard to blame George McPhee for exploiting the draft rules to the max ... and I doubt we will ever see the "traditional expansion team" again ... in any sport.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Max Pacioretty had a clear shot from right in the slot and Carey Price stoned him. There is a real poetry in that - and I'm sure, for MaxPac, a real agony knowing he had the game on his stick and could not beat his old G.

Agreed ... again ... Max missed the last 6 games of the season and the first 6 of the Minnesota series ... given his Wolverine reputation must have been serious ... but wasn't anything obvious that I could see ... he just got shutdown like the rest of the GK's forwards.

Agree, great sportsmanship being shown by some and Fleury just seems too nice a guy to say much bad about.

Maybe am still in shock from upsetting the leafs but i aint getting too excited yet; bit devils advocate -  no one really remembers who loses the finals;

and as Ricky Bobby would say; 'If you aint first your last!"

A few points:

Kinda funny, it was before game 5 against Toronto, I was driving somewhere and a song popped on from my library, and as I listened to the lyrics, I was like, oooh, this fits the Habs today.  My son was with me, so it then became a superstition to listen to that song before every game after they won game 5. "Rise", by The Cult.

It's the way that you feel
It's the truth in your eye
You got wings upon your back and you can fly

It's the way that you feel
It's the truth in your eye
'Cause you're up against the world and still you rise
And still you rise

The odds against them, being down 3-1, every prediction and expert analysis was against them, and I thought to myself, they certainly are up against the world!

Vegas: I find their production a bit over the top (and penalty/goal announcements, etc....they're still announcing a power play when it's 2/3 over) but what in Vegas ISN'T over the top. The team itself, Stone has always rubbed me the wrong way, but otherwise, they're another team. I don't have the animosity that I have towards them as I do, say, the Leafs/Bruins. Being a non-Canadian, I don't get exposed to Leafs every day, all the time, the Leafs have been irrelevant for so long that I barely have any animosity towards them.

These guys are warriors. After the dismal effort in game 4 against the Leafs, I was as negative about the team as I have been in quite some time. Glad to be proven wrong. They've beaten some strong teams. Of course, there's still another series to play, and it will not be easy, but I'm quite happy to be watching the Habs in the Finals. Pretty cool. 

I think I’ve watched the call from the overtime winner from all the various feeds at least 25 times and I STILL get goosebumps. 

Unbelievable. 

I hugged and held  all three of my kids real hard right after that goal. Will never forget that moment. 

I just want to build on how classy Lehner was.  During the handshake, he shook hands and gave every person a little talk, from rookie to Price to the coaching staff.  Most players will shake hands and have an extra chat with a few players, like friends and ex-teammates, but Lehner went beyond that.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

All season long, I held out a sliver of hope that this bunch might prove to be “built for the playoffs” on the LA Kings 2012 model. It took them until Game 5 against TO to start showing it but that has proved to be exactly the case. :) 

On paper it all looked good to start the season - then the season started and it was WONDERFUL. 

It didn’t feel like they were just getting the bounces or winning games they deserved to lose - they looked like a team I hadn’t seen in decades - and was so excited it was the Habs!

I bought a package so I could watch all the games (I’m in Ohio) because I really believed in them. 

then came the slump. 

to me, it was a head scratcher because I felt like I saw something those first games and I couldn’t figure out what happened - quit on the coach? Injuries? Opponents adjusting tactics? 

after game 4 vs Toronto I quit on the Habs after believing in them all year! I told my son, I’ll watch the game because it’s what I do - but they looked dead with no hope of resuscitation when down 3-1. 

but game 5 - there was just no quit. Then 6 and 7. From then on, I was a believer again. The team from on paper and early this season was back - and BETTER than ever (tho perhaps a little less firewagon fun hockey - but - it’s playoff time!)

I knew we could handle the Jets. I knew we could hang with the Knights (although - admittedly, I expected Knights in 6). 

almost all my hopes and dreams for this team have ACTUALLY come true! The perfect storm. 

there’s just one more hope and dream. 

Stanley Cup #25!!!

• Like 2

Last night still feels like a Dream. I woke up this morning unsure if what had happened was true or not!

I can'T believe the boys are headed to the big show! I am sooo happy right now! Even if we don't win the Cup, I will still be happy for the boys...but just Imagine if they can pull it off! I'm gonna be drunk for 1 week non stop!!!

5 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

So who would be rather face? The Islanders or the Kucherov-less Lightning?

It would make sence to want the isles.

A team that manages to lose 0-8? Yes I want them.

16 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Feels good, doesn't it?  I've been writing here for 18 years now, it's a great feeling knowing I'm finally going to get to write about the Habs in the Final.

And what a wonderful team you guys have made for us too. Out superstars! Many, many thanks. :clap:

43 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

So who would be rather face? The Islanders or the Kucherov-less Lightning?

For me it's like the old saying "careful what you wish for".  I am sure Toronto, Winnipeg and Vegas were quite happy to play Montreal instead of the alternative.  I don't under estimate the Isles at all. We will get who we get. Hope it's an entertaining and long game tonight. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

I cried last night.  Im so happy.

I gave upvotes to as many of you as i could.

Hahaha... Good for you Commandant. I'm out of upvotes too. 

And I do want to thank all of you guys who shared your stories and experiences of the year and of the playoffs with all of us. They are lovely; jewels of life full of hugging children and lessons on the human spirit and faith. Wonderful stuff. Why the Habs exist. Thanks to you all. 

I was in a renovated log cabin on the shores of Lake Huron with a close friend who has an Irish background. Kate said she had just finished saying a prayer for the Habs... when Gallagher set up the winning goal for that line that did so much of the hard work for the team. Wonderful.  

The Habs are the Habs again. 

I gave the bus to a charity with the rope still attached to the rear bumper. 

• Upvote 1

As for Islanders or Lightning.

I'm not asking for either.  I will watch tonight cause I want to know who it is. But I won't care.  I'm just waiting for the finals to start. 

We've been underdogs all along so whoever we get is fine.

I won't mind if they go 5 OTs tonight.