Habs-Lightning series discussion thread

BCHabnut

Posted part of this on another thread, but seems more appropriate here.

We seem like a team of destiny right now - I hope we can FINALLy get #25.

The Lightening are the most complete team in the league, but Hedman and Kucherov are hurting (both are top two three in their respective positions in the league).  That does help us. I’ll take Weber and Petry hurt, if it also means Hedman is 60-70% his usual self.

what terrifies me is our D against their forwards. I’m terrified when we are being hemmed in our zone and can’t get the puck out. It seems we usually have three things happen:

1) the stretch pass (usually by a forward to find a man behind their D

2) we give it away, because we can’t get it out, and have had Price save our ass

3) we ice the puck.

Our strengths are:

1) young forwards who are showing they can become stars (Caufield potentially a superstar) 

2) forwards who are contributing to the defensive pressure and being responsible

3) scoring being contributions from all the lines.

4) veterans like Perry playing hard and showing they are not dine

5) last, and most importantly friggin MVP performance from Conn Smythe Price. 

habs in 6 with the first cup win on Bell Centre ice.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2021 at 9:10 PM, Commandant said:

The Cup never comes easy. 

Even in 1993, we had to stop Gretzky.

We will be the underdog again, and I can't wait for all the media picks of Lightning in 4. 

Is it gonna be a tough series, hell yeah it will be.... and we will need to take our game up another notch. 

But with the way we've played.... it can be done. 

Go Habs Go.

The kings weren’t supposed to be there. Gretzky carries them on his back to the finals, but they were no where as deep as Tampa is and Hrudy was no Vasilevskiy. 

56 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The Lightening are the most complete team in the league, but Hedman and Kucherov are hurting (both are top two three in their respective positions in the league).  That does help us. I’ll take Weber and Petry hurt, if it also means Hedman is 60-70% his usual self.

what terrifies me is our D against their forwards. I’m terrified when we are being hemmed in our zone and can’t get the puck out. It seems we usually have three things happen:

2) we give it away, because we can’t get it out, and have had Price save our ass

3) we ice the puck.

Our strengths are:

1) young forwards who are showing they can become stars (Caufield potentially a superstar) 

2) forwards who are contributing to the defensive pressure and being responsible

I get your concern.  I would just like to point out the consensus was this year's cup winner was coming out of the Colorado/Vegas series.  Vegas prided them selves on a tenacious forecheck and counter attacking. Vegas had 2 real good forward lines, a goalie with unmatched active cup pedigree, a real good backup goalie, and a solid defensive core.  The Habs beat that in 6 games.  Making the top 2 lines nearly ineffective, the goalies look real human and establishing their own forecheck against their defence. 

I like the Habs chances.  There is a lot to be concerned about, but this is by far, the most confidant I have ever been in any Habs team.  

56 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I'd put Tatar back in if Evan's cant go.  

Call me crazy but Tatar/Staal/Perry could be a  great 4th line. 

Tatarrrrrrrrrrr isnt big on backchecking is he, or he isnt Armia/Evans-like anyways? But, maybe at the moment he would chew glass to get into another playoff game, boost next contract demand and could add bit more offense?

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

3) we ice the puck.

Our strengths are:

Means a lot to me that you’re picking the Habs, my friend.

If the Habs do win this thing, I will not be responsible for any noise ordinances I may break with my screaming, nor for any water damage done to my condo from my tears of joy.

21 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

How am i a troll ???? 

I thought you were trolling to get a reaction.

Are you serious in wanting to bring that topic into this conversation? Ok:

1) Romanov is as good defensively at the same age, and seems to have the potential to get 20 to 30 points per season which would be similar to Sergachev

2) Habs current top 4 are playing at an elite level. We know that will not be the case under other circumstance; but in the current context: they are just great

3) the $4,800,000 cap hit wold not have allowed the Habs to build the team they have this season

4) Habs had a terrible season that year and lacked scoring. Markov and Emelin still had a year left in their contract. Of course MB was wrong, but the gamble can be explained.

5) Drouin was already an established NHLer with proven offensive talent.

The analysis was wrong, but it still can be argued for/against today.

We've beaten some good teams to get here and I think the Ghosts would like to give Montreal something to cheer about. 

Have the officials been named for the finals?

44 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Have the officials been named for the finals?

They've cloned Chris Lee .... so ... all we're F%#^&$@ all the time

😉

16 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I thought you were trolling to get a reaction.

Are you serious in wanting to bring that topic into this conversation? Ok:

1) Romanov is as good defensively at the same age, and seems to have the potential to get 20 to 30 points per season which would be similar to Sergachev

2) Habs current top 4 are playing at an elite level. We know that will not be the case under other circumstance; but in the current context: they are just great

3) the $4,800,000 cap hit wold not have allowed the Habs to build the team they have this season

4) Habs had a terrible season that year and lacked scoring. Markov and Emelin still had a year left in their contract. Of course MB was wrong, but the gamble can be explained.

5) Drouin was already an established NHLer with proven offensive talent.

The analysis was wrong, but it still can be argued for/against today.

I brought it up because of our lack of OD and puck moving defensemen on this team. He would of blend in well on our back end with our system we use.  Not to mention Drouin not on the team for personal reasons. Being the fact we're playing Tampa that just was a bad all around trade for us.

Just like the fact we just finished playing VGK and Pacioretty trade came up again. 

22 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I brought it up because of our lack of OD and puck moving defensemen on this team. He would of blend in well on our back end with our system we use.  Not to mention Drouin not on the team for personal reasons. Being the fact we're playing Tampa that just was a bad all around trade for us.

Just like the fact we just finished playing VGK and Pacioretty trade came up again. 

sorry for the friendly fire.

I just want to keep the good vibes going and thought that revisiting those painful memories that are irrelevant now may turn this forum away for our moment as fans: we are in the fricking Stanley Cup Finals!!!!

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

sorry for the friendly fire.

I just want to keep the good vibes going and thought that revisiting those painful memories that are irrelevant now may turn this forum away for our moment as fans: we are in the fricking Stanley Cup Finals!!!!

No worries been questioning Bergevin moves all year got us to a cup finals so why stop now lol.

On a side note does Drouin get his name on the cup if we do win? 🤔

25 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

No worries been questioning Bergevin moves all year got us to a cup finals so why stop now lol.

On a side note does Drouin get his name on the cup if we do win? 🤔

I think he played enough regular season games to qualify.  If not the team can petition the NHL for special circumstances to get his name there if they want.  For an instance like this I would imagine they would do so.

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Armia has cleared COVID protocol and is on a flight to Tampa Bay.

Great news...we need guys who can get in on the forecheck and lay hits on Lightning D-men (especially Hedman) hard and repeatedly.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

They've cloned Chris Lee .... so ... all we're F%#^&$@ all the time

😉

Not in it, i really hope they call it "normal-like" and dont let things slide, or try and be consistent at least (objective officiating i know aint happening), is that too much to ask for?

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2021/06/31937/todays-nhl-stanley-cup-final-referees-and-linesmen-6-28-21/

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah did you see the thumb protector Weber was wearing on his hand under the glove. 

NO, i did not.

I like this tweet, good to keep Daron's memory alive:

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah did you see the thumb protector Weber was wearing on his hand under the glove. 

Did you notice during the handshake line Petry took off his left glove and kept his right glove on to shake hands awkwardly?  I think his hand is in that bad of shape he doesn’t want anyone outside the team to see it.