Habs-Lightning series discussion thread

BCHabnut

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We have two goals in two games, both somewhat flukey.

We need to find more goals.  If we score 3 we almost always win.

Maybe we should consider putting in Tatar next game.... maybe for lehkonen.  A little more offence?

Absolutely...it can't hurt to put a well-rested Tatar out there to see if he can spark a bit of offence.  Put Romanov in there too...I've seen enough of Gus to know that he's not the discount powerplay QB Bergevin gambled that he'd be.

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Maybe we should consider putting in Tatar next game.... maybe for lehkonen.  A little more offence?

Most of Tampa's goals have been pretty fluky, too, not much highlight reel stuff there. But outplayed us in Game 1 and outscored us in Game 2, and that's all that counts.

That said, I don't know that a rusty Tatar is a good Lehkonen substitute. Not for the forecheck or for the PK. Scoring? Maybe, or maybe not. 10 goals in the regular season, as compared to Lehkonen's seven, and that's playing with Gallagher and Danault.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I’d put Tatar in for Stall, not Lekhonan. 

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d put Tatar in for Stall, not Lekhonan. 

I think you'd put just about anyone in for Staal...  The fourth line did well last night; they're not getting broken up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think you'd put just about anyone in for Staal...  The fourth line did well last night; they're not getting broken up.

The lightening are a fast team. Having Perry and Stall together against them is a liability. I think getting Tatar in would add more foot speed and finish to the lineup.  The question is who do you take out??  If Lekhonan is hurt after the last game (he did finish the game), with us having the last change, I’d keep the Lekhonan-Danault-Gallagher line intact as a shutdown line.  If he is good to go, you play him. You can’t sit Armia. That leaves you with Evans, Tatar, Byron and Stall.  I’ve been hard on Byron, and don’t think I’d want him beyond this year given his contract term and $ remaining. But you have to play him right now. He’s earned it. That leaves a choice of one player from Evans, Tatar and Stall. That would be my order of preference. If Lekhonan is healthy you need a centre, and I’d take Evans speed over Stall.

we had a lot of chances and everyone worked hard, but we need finish and scoring. If the Danault line is a defensive line (they’ve generated chances, but Gallagher has either been snake bitten, or has hand issues - or both, and he is really the scoring threat in that line), we need to get more offense from the other three lines..

The Suzuki line is working hard, getting chances, but have been snake bitten.  I wouldn’t be opposed to swap Anderson for Taffoli on that line. Anderson seems to be a line wolf on the KK line, often going in alone and his linemates nowhere in sight. Taffoli has not been producing.

The KK line has KK and Anderson making great individual rushes, but like I said, Anderson in particular is driving hard to the net, but always seems to be alone. If we don’t swap Taffoli to that line, Maybe adding Tatar to that line would get you a pure shooter.

the Stall line cycle hard, Perry has a strong net front presence, but you have two slow 36 year olds out there. Maybe playing Perry with Evans and Byron would give that line more speed, 

the other option is having an extra forward and have them play defence. Maybe they could actually play more minutes than Gustafson!!  I know that’s really not an option, but We are basically playing 4 dmen anyway.  I don’t know what the right answer is, but we gotta find a way to get more offense AND reduce the mistakes by the defence. I think putting Romanov back in is a no brainer, but don’t know if the coaching staff is willing to put Kulak in. 

anyway, I wasn’t impressed at all with Stall in the regular season, and with the exception of two games, I don’t think he has been very good in the post season.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... I think getting Tatar in would add more foot speed and finish to the lineup ...

On foot speed I agree ... but, based on his play in the last three months, there is little evidence that Tartar would offer more offence than Staal ... and Tartar does not have a history of stepping up in the playoffs ... PLUS, there would be a serious decline in physicality; which is a big part of how the Habs have succeeded here playoffs ... think it takes at least two injuries to get Tartar into the lineup.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

On foot speed I agree ... but, based on his play in the last three months, there is little evidence that Tartar would offer more offence than Staal ... and Tartar does not have a history of stepping up in the playoffs ... PLUS, there would be a serious decline in physicality; which is a big part of how the Habs have succeeded here playoffs ... think it takes at least two injuries to get Tartar into the lineup.

His name is Tatar.  There is only one R.

I would put him in for Lehkonen.   This team needs some form of creativity and offence.  We have two goals (both flukey) in two games.  It would be worth giving a shot to a guy who has scored a lot of goals and points for us over the last three years.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Huge game tonight and it’s important to win. To be down 3-0 would be bad ...

Agreed

image.png

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I would put him in for Lehkonen.   This team needs some form of creativity and offence.  We have two goals (both flukey) in two games.  It would be worth giving a shot to a guy who has scored a lot of goals and points for us over the last three years.

I agree, time for Tatar to come in, but on the third line or fourth to start and growing from there. I doubt that he would be at his peak right now, but with smart coaching he can be moved up th elineup as he finds his synchronism.

If we are playing Gustafson because of the offensive he brings over Kulak and Romanov, Tatar can do the same over Lehkonen or Evans.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Apologies ... his nickname sticks in my head (Tuna Tartar) when I type ... should probably just call him Tuna.

TT has been an offensive leader in 2.5 of the last three seasons ... but not the last third-ish of this season (and he played his way out of the lineup in these playoffs) ... plus ... Lehkonen has actually out-produced Tatar the last two post seasons ... I just think there is a better chance of the players in the lineup that are not producing breaking their slumps than Tatar coming in and finding his game.

Well, this is it. Will we make a series of it? #31 needs to be a wall and the Habs’ scorers need to get on track. To be honest, I think we need to go 2-0 at home; trailing 3-1 going back to Tampa, we’d need a miracle. Lots of positives to build on from Game 2, however…so keep plugging away, boys.

I will be happy if the Habs win

one game. 
Teo is ideal but one is a reasonable expectation 

going back to Tampa Bay1-3 would not bother me because Habs need to win game 5 regardless 

I am confident 

Go Habs Go !!!

38 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Should we bring Yvonne back ?

Would be better if you can sneak in to watch game live...i think Habs had awesome record when you attend, no? I would save the young lady for back to wall game, if it comes to that.:spamafote:

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, this is it. Will we make a series of it? #31 needs to be a wall and the Habs’ scorers need to get on track. To be honest, I think we need to go 2-0 at home; trailing 3-1 going back to Tampa, we’d need a miracle. Lots of positives to build on from Game 2, however…so keep plugging away, boys.

Need to stop making mistakes.  The last 2 games the Game winner has come off of a Chiarot mistake.  Not picking on him as other goals were scored off of mistakes from other players too.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Should we bring Yvonne back ?

it depends which version of Yvonne comes back

a. Pet cemetery-style

b. Stanley cup winning streak - style

8 hours ago, DON said:

Would be better if you can sneak in to watch game live...i think Habs had awesome record when you attend, no? I would save the young lady for back to wall game, if it comes to that.:spamafote:

Indeed. For now, I have tickets for game 4.  Trying to sell it, but down 0-3, I doubt it will sell. 

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Indeed. For now, I have tickets for game 4.  Trying to sell it, but down 0-3, I doubt it will sell. 

I expect they will sell ... but perhaps not for what you might have expected even this afternoon ... Bonne chance

Habs have found 3 different ways to lose so far; Game 1: get dominated, Game 2: Dominate but get goalie'd, and Game 3: Err and watch as the wall behind you crumbles.

It really sucks to watch the magic leave the team by the second.

Time for reactionary fan lines:

Anderson-Danault-Toffoli

Tatar-Suzuki-Caufield

Lehkonen-Evans-Perry

Armia-Kotkianiemi-Gallagher

Kulak-Petry

Edmunson-Chiarot

Romanov-Weber

Jumble the lines, which aren't getting it done. This should have happened before the last 5 minutes last night.

Gallagher is beaten to hell and is giving his all, but I don't think there is much left in his tank. Limit his minutes without losing his hear from the lineup.

Anderson is constantly going around the D on the right side, but doesn't have a good enough backhand to get the kind of goals he should be getting. Try him on the left.

Give the top line some more offensive punch by moving Toffoli there. We need more than one dangerous line and Suzuki-Caufield have been the better guys together recently, so keep those two together.

If Tatar isn't checked out as some have suggested, throw him in and see what he can do. In the short term, he looks like a solid fit with the kids.

Lehkonen and Evans have done well playing the same role, so let's throw them together. And of the remaining forwards, Perry has been bringing the most, so throw him on with them.

Staal and Byron have been the least effective forwards this series, so they are the odd men out up front.

Merrill brings nothing and Gustafsson is no longer bringing any real offense. Swap them both out and roll 3 actual pairings.

I agree on all counts fanpuck other than Staal - I do feel he is effective. I feel the only line of the 4 that are winning their battles is the 4th line. I’d blender lines 1, 2, and 3 and do as you said with the D, but keep line 4 in tact. 

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Time for reactionary fan lines:

Anderson-Danault-Toffoli

Tatar-Suzuki-Caufield

Lehkonen-Evans-Perry

Armia-Kotkianiemi-Gallagher

Kulak-Petry

Edmunson-Chiarot

Romanov-Weber

Jumble the lines, which aren't getting it done. This should have happened before the last 5 minutes last night.

Gallagher is beaten to hell and is giving his all, but I don't think there is much left in his tank. Limit his minutes without losing his hear from the lineup.

Anderson is constantly going around the D on the right side, but doesn't have a good enough backhand to get the kind of goals he should be getting. Try him on the left.

Give the top line some more offensive punch by moving Toffoli there. We need more than one dangerous line and Suzuki-Caufield have been the better guys together recently, so keep those two together.

If Tatar isn't checked out as some have suggested, throw him in and see what he can do. In the short term, he looks like a solid fit with the kids.

Lehkonen and Evans have done well playing the same role, so let's throw them together. And of the remaining forwards, Perry has been bringing the most, so throw him on with them.

Staal and Byron have been the least effective forwards this series, so they are the odd men out up front.

Merrill brings nothing and Gustafsson is no longer bringing any real offense. Swap them both out and roll 3 actual pairings.

Im all for this - especially the Dmen changes. 

Our 4 giant pillars collapsing the front of the net is ineffective against the bolts so we need a new strategy. 

bolts are out hitting us too so having a very driven beast like Romanov out there would be welcome. 

I like Anderson on the left for the backhand reason you suggested 👍