Habs-Lightning series discussion thread

BCHabnut

The difference is that Makar signed a 3 year ELC cause he was a teen still when he signed.  He was also credited for a year played in the year he played 10 playoff games in 2018-19. So he has three seasons experience.  He must be protected in expansion.

Hughes signed a 2 year ELC as hes was a 20 year old when he signed.  He didnt play any NHL games in 18-19.  He only has two years and is expansion draft exempt.  He also cant get an offer sheet as you need three pro years to get it.

Makar can be a UFA in 4 years.

Hughes has to wait 5.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

The difference is that Makar signed a 3 year ELC cause he was a teen still when he signed.  He was also credited for a year played in the year he played 10 playoff games in 2018-19. So he has three seasons experience.  He must be protected in expansion.

Hughes signed a 2 year ELC as hes was a 20 year old when he signed.  He didnt play any NHL games in 18-19.  He only has two years and is expansion draft exempt.  He also cant get an offer sheet as you need three pro years to get it.

Makar can be a UFA in 4 years.

Hughes has to wait 5.

But Hughes also played games in 2018-19.  How can that be a 2 yr ELC, if he played 5 games that year?  Is it because he played less than 10 games?  I thought all players had to sign 3 yr ELC contracts, and that an advantage for players that played in USA colleges was that they could burn a year of their ELC by playing games when their college year ended.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hughes signed a 3-year ELC - the first year was 18-19 where he played in five games down the stretch.  He was 20 at the time so it burned the first year but he didn't play enough to accrue a year of service time which exempts him from the offer sheet.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Hughes signed a 3-year ELC - the first year was 18-19 where he played in five games down the stretch.  He was 20 at the time so it burned the first year but he didn't play enough to accrue a year of service time which exempts him from the offer sheet.

Thanks. That makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Sit your second leading scorer and continue to sit Romanov. I really don’t want Ducharme coaching this team

I do expect a win tonight regardless of roster but these moves are not smart

It looks like Romanov AND Kulak will play. 

They left the ice, and Merrill-Gustafsson are staying out with the healthy scratches. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It looks like Romanov AND Kulak will play. 

They left the ice, and Merrill-Gustafsson are staying out with the healthy scratches. 

That is indeed good news

We are winning tonight no matter what but my God Ducharme is frustrating. Plenty of time to discuss this later. 

I just want a win tonight 

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Sit your second leading scorer and continue to sit Romanov ...

Not the first time it has been suggested he might sit during these playoffs ... despite his scoring he has 6 "minus" games" and only 2 "plus games" ... when he has scored goals he is a "0" each of those games ... there is usually more to a roster switch than just whether the player is scoring ... like many 19 yr-olds (until tomorrow) he can be inconsistent.

EDIT: KK turns 21 tomorrow, not 20 ... still young/developing

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The last time we faced elimination Joe made the game thread and it turned into a long streak. 

Joe! Can you save us again?

LET'S ####ING GOOOOO !!!!!!

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

KK is second in scoring so it makes sense to bench him  🤮

WTF?? Hey don’t we just bench Caufield too like in the start of the Toronto series???  WTF???

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah, this is a real concern down there.

That’s early, usually it’s the end of July, August that Florida gets hit by Hurricanes. 

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Real??

Various warnings in place, some through Wednesday evening/night ... even after storms pass there are the possibility of storm surges and flooding ... as well as the cleanup from any storm related damage (trees, power lines, etc.) ...
my guess would be that the NHL will make any decision on postponement tonight, tomorrow by noon at the latest ... assuming the County (which owns the arena) doesn't make a decision themselves ... a major consideration will likely be not just be whether the arena is OK but whether the state/county/city want people driving or using public transportation to get to the game.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Weird enough season that I wouldn't be surprised by Game 5 being delayed due to rain.

I think any delay is a plus for Petry- Weber- Price.

Its already July, what does couple days one way or other matter.

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

.. They are getting tired and beat down 

I would love this to be true, but.

The Tampa Bay Lightning will try to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, and the Montreal Canadiens will seek to add to their record by winning their 24th championship since entering the NHL in 1917, when they meet in the Stanley Cup Final, beginning Monday.

Heard NBC refer to the Habs as having won 23 Stanley Cups ... figured it was an error ... but heard Mitch Melnyk explain that the NHL only counts Cups won as part of the NHL ... above is proof of their sectarian, parochial, insular ignorance ... as if the names before 1917/18 aren't actually on the trophy.

Am I the only one who had either never heard, or had forgotten, this BS?

As recently as 2016 the NHL realized it was 24 Cups:
On this day in 1993, the Montreal Canadiens won their 24th and most recent Stanley Cup championship, defeating the Los Angeles Kings in five games. It also marks the most recent time that a team from Canada won the NHL title.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The Tampa Bay Lightning will try to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, and the Montreal Canadiens will seek to add to their record by winning their 24th championship since entering the NHL in 1917, when they meet in the Stanley Cup Final, beginning Monday.

Heard NBC refer to the Habs as having won 23 Stanley Cups ... figured it was an error ... but heard Mitch Melnyk explain that the NHL only counts Cups won as part of the NHL ... above is proof of their sectarian, parochial, insular ignorance ... as if the names before 1917/18 aren't actually on the trophy.

Am I the only one who had either never heard, or had forgotten, this BS?

As recently as 2016 the NHL realized it was 24 Cups:
On this day in 1993, the Montreal Canadiens won their 24th and most recent Stanley Cup championship, defeating the Los Angeles Kings in five games. It also marks the most recent time that a team from Canada won the NHL title.

Plus if that was the case they wouldn't allow Gretzky's goals count from the WHL. 

I think DD should take out Byron and add Tatar on that line. He would add size and scoring to that line .

Tatar  / Evans  / Lehkonen , I think that would balance our lines better because our smaller guys are being pushed around by Tampa. Byron hasn't been effective in the series on the score sheet and we need more goals especially in Tampa.