Brandon Baddock re-signs

dlbalr

Laval's enforcer will be back for next season as Brandon Baddock got a one-year, two-way deal from the Habs.  I'm okay with him returning but I was hoping they could convince him to take an AHL contract as there would have to be a ton of injuries for him to get a shot at being recalled.

https://www.habsworld.net/2021/06/habs-re-sign-brandon-baddock/

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Laval's enforcer will be back for next season as Brandon Baddock got a one-year, two-way deal from the Habs.  I'm okay with him returning but I was hoping they could convince him to take an AHL contract as there would have to be a ton of injuries for him to get a shot at being recalled.

https://www.habsworld.net/2021/06/habs-re-sign-brandon-baddock/

I am going to assume that they don't foresee a "contract crunch" and expect to easily clear the maximum of 50 contracts this year.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

... I was hoping they could convince him to take an AHL contract as there would have to be a ton of injuries for him to get a shot at being recalled.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I am going to assume that they don't foresee a "contract crunch" and expect to easily clear the maximum of 50 contracts this year.

I can understand him wanting to keep the dream alive ... but, unless I am mistaken, a straight AHL contract would have meant that any NHL team could sign him at any time if they had a need ... maybe an even better chance for him (if still not great) ... hope for his sake that he did not give up any AHL money to get the 2-way deal.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I can understand him wanting to keep the dream alive ... but, unless I am mistaken, a straight AHL contract would have meant that any NHL team could sign him at any time if they had a need ... maybe an even better chance for him (if still not great) ... hope for his sake that he did not give up any AHL money to get the 2-way deal.

He got a pretty hefty raise ($175K in guaranteed money) so I don't think he gave up much money.  Yes, an AHL contract would have made him available to be signed by anyone in-season but I don't think that would have been a huge loss.  Oh well, he's a serviceable player at least as far as tough guys go.