STANLEY CUP FINALS: Game 1 - Montreal Canadiens @ Tampa Bay Lightning

Here’s the thing.  Montreal’s style is hugely dependant on countering the opposition.  They need to see what’s being thrown at them to adjust.  They will adjust.  They have shown that in 2 of the 3 rounds so far.

Tampa has a style of pushing the play and playing their style regardless of the other team’s style.

On paper this should give Tampa a huge advantage in the first game.  What we saw was a giveaway leading to the first goal.  Montreal isn’t well suited at catch-up hockey.  Then it got further away on 2 fluky goals.  You could run those same plays 25 times and it will only go in once.  It did last night.

I’m not worried.  I thing there will be a response tomorrow night.  If Montreal can get up by a goal, they can impose their frustrating brand of hockey on Tampa.

The Lightning have the top tier elite players Vegas doesn't, as well as elite depth (and an elite keeper, gulp).  Toronto had the top tier elite players, Winnipeg had the elite keeper, and Vegas had the elite depth.  Now they are combined into one.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

The Lightning have the top tier elite players Vegas doesn't, as well as elite depth (and an elite keeper, gulp).  Toronto had the top tier elite players, Winnipeg had the elite keeper, and Vegas had the elite depth.  Now they are combined into one.

Not buying it, they put one shinpad on at a time like everyone else and other lesser teams have taken them 5, 6 & 7 games. 

• Upvote 1

Panthers won 2 games against the Lightning, the Islanders won 3 … don’t tell me the Lightning aren’t beatable for a few games at least and that gives me hope that the Habs can do it 4 times.