Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Hurricanes | 12/31/05

Spider-Man NL

HNY-Gold.gif

montreal200.gifvssmall2.gifcarolina200.gif

montreal50.gif18-12-6 : 42 Points (7th in the Eastern Conference)

carolina50.gif23-10-4 : 50 Points (3rd in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

0198.gif# 60 Jose Theodore (14-8-5), 3.02 GAA montreal50.gif

carolina50.gif# 29 Martin Gerber (17-7-2), 2.79 GAA2443.gif

Canadiens Roster

Link

Hurricanes Roster

Link

LW.jpghabs-w.gifrw.jpg

Zednik - Bulis - Kovalev

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Higgins - Begin - Sundstrom

Perezhogin - Murray - Streit

d.jpg

Souray - Komisarek

Markov - Rivet

Bouillon - Dandenault

G.jpg

Jose Theodore

4070_1.jpg

RyderCar.jpg

This game can be seen 8:00pm eastern on logo_RDS.gif& CenterIce.jpg

cjad_logo_large.gif

Listen to the game live on CJAD 800 AM

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be the 1st to say GO HABS GO!!!

Well I hate to do this but I predict that the Habs will come out flat tonight go down early and loose big. I have a feeling they just want to get home and do not really care about the outcome of this game.

Final score 6-2 canes.

Edited by JMMR

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=148894&hubname=

Road-weary Habs hit Carolina at right time

(Sports Network) - The Carolina Hurricanes hope to end a three-game losing skid tonight when they welcome the Montreal Canadiens to the RBC Center.

Carolina, which leads the Southeast Division by nine points over second-place Tampa Bay, has lost three straight on the heels of a five-game winning streak. Two of the three losses have come in overtime, including Thursday's 4-3 overtime defeat to Philadelphia at home. Former Hurricane Sami Kapanen scored his second overtime goal in as many nights to lift the Flyers.

Matt Cullen netted a pair of goals for Carolina, which hasn't lost more than three straight games this season. Cory Stillman also scored, while netminder Cam Ward finished with 36 saves.

Stillman extended his point streak to seven games, having tallied two goals and nine assists during the run.

Carolina, which is 14-4-1 on home ice, will host Atlanta on Wednesday.

Montreal, meanwhile, has lost three of its last four tilts, including Friday's 2-1 loss at Florida. Joe Nieuwendyk scored two goals to lead the Panthers to victory.

Niklas Sundstrom potted the lone goal for the Canadiens, who have lost 10 of its last 11 road contests.

Jose Theodore, playing his second game since returning from a knee injury, made 28 saves in the loss.

The Canadiens close out a five-game road trip tonight and will host Pittsburgh on Tuesday.

The Canadiens went 2-1-1 against the Hurricanes during the 2003-04 season, and are 5-2-3 (2 losses, 3 ties) in the last 10 meetings.

ryder_80388.jpg

Edited by Spider-Man NL

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4621

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Hurricanes

RALEIGH – As the curtain closes on their five-game road trip as well as 2005, the Canadiens will face the Carolina Hurricanes for the first time this season. They’ll look to get back on the winning track following a 2-1 loss to the Panthers Friday night.

With 10 losses in their last 11 road games, the Canadiens are hoping RBC Center is as welcoming to them as it has been in the past, as the club has not lost in regulation since the 1998-99 season. Since then, Montreal has put together a 4-0-4-2 record, giving more than one goal just four times over its last 10 visits.

Claude Julien’s crew will also be looking to take advantage of the Hurricanes’ troubles of late, as the home team dropped their third straight in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Flyers on Thursday. Despite their recent struggles, Peter Laviolette’s squad is off to the best start in franchise history and leads the Southeast Division, partly due to Eric Staal’s breakout season. The 21-year-old center is only one goal behind Simon Gagne for the league lead with 26 and fifth in NHL scoring with 51 points.

The Canadiens and Hurricanes will meet twice more over the next month, with Montreal returning to the RBC Center on Jan. 23 before Carolina makes its first visit to the Bell Centre on Jan. 31.

Second time's a charm: Saturday’s contest marks the end of the Canadiens’ seventh back-to-back series of the season. While they’ve gone 3-4 in the first game, the club has found better success in game two, with a 4-1-1 record.

First things first: The Hurricanes are the league leaders when it comes to scoring first, with a 15-1-0 record (.938 winning percentage). The Canadiens are ninth in that category with a record of 13-2-3 (.722 winning percentage). Jan Bulis has opened the scoring three times and each time, Montreal has skated away with the win.

One on one: Alex Kovalev’s penalty shot on Friday night was already the 56th awarded by NHL officials already this season. The goaltenders have held the upper hand, stopping 35 shots. Erik Cole and the Hurricanes know a thing or two about penalty shots in 2005-06 as the Carolina forward became the first player in NHL history to be awarded two penalty shots in the same game. The historical night came Nov. 9 against the Sabres, where he beat Martin Biron on his first attempt. The following night, he was awarded yet another penalty shot, but was foiled by the Panthers’ Roberto Luongo.

4621_1.jpg

Michael Ryder, who leads the Canadiens with 16 goals, collected four points in as many games against Carolina in 2003-04.

Go Habs Go!

very good two-colour ghg. Must have taken time to do - well worth it. Congrats!!!

--------------------------------:king: :hlogo: :king:-------------------------------------

Edited by shortcat1

Koivu's second return is great news. This is 1 of very few games this season that we have a full first line.

I heard RDS isn't showing the beginning of the game due to the Canada-US WJC game.

Koivu's second return is great news. This is 1 of very few games this season that we have a full first line.

I heard RDS isn't showing the beginning of the game due to the Canada-US WJC game.

Well, it's probably just as well, I suppose... likely I won't be seeing any of both games... family stuff :)

I've just checked RDS TV's schedule... NO HABS GAME AT ALL!!! :angry2::wacko::blink::angry:

7:30 - Billiards

8:30 - Football de la NFL

11:30 - L'année Crosby

-------------------------------------------------NO HABS GAME AT ALL!!! :blink::wacko::angry2:

Edited by shortcat1

I've just checked RDS TV's schedule... NO HABS GAME AT ALL!!! :angry2::wacko::blink::angry:

7:30 - Billiards

8:30 - Football de la NFL

11:30 - L'année Crosby

-------------------------------------------------NO HABS GAME AT ALL!!! :blink::wacko::angry2:

wtf?

Is anyone watching the game?