STANLEY CUP FINALS: Game 3: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montréal Canadiens

tomh009

Wow. One of the worst passes you could possibly make at this level, with these stakes, by Gustafsson. That will likely end any hope he had of being re-signed here.

That said, as Craig Simpson noted, Price failed to corral the rebound.

I don’t care what anyone says, Price has been nowhere near top of form this series. His puckhandling has been bad by his standard, and he has let in two softies, plus things like we just saw.

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

The competence of our GM and coaching staff must be called into question if Gus dresses for game 4.

We are in the freaking Stanley cup final !!!!

praises to the Habs top brass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wow. One of the worst passes you could possibly make at this level, with these stakes, by Gustafsson. That will likely end any hope he had of being re-signed here.

I don’t care what anyone says, Price has been nowhere near top of form this series. His puckhandling has been bad by his standard, and he has let in two softies, plus things like we just saw.

Price is having one of his worst games of the playoffs 

team cannot stop playing 

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The competence of our GM and coaching staff must be called into question if Gus dresses for game 4.

I don’t know how many times it has to be said…without Gustafsson this team has ONE d-man who can move the puck. One. That’s why he is dressed.

And he took a lot of ice in the third, why? Because we were trailing and needed offence. 

Go ahead and take him out. I might well do so…but more likely I would pull Merrill and put in Kulak. That would give us three guys who can move the puck instead of two.

First bonehead play by Caufield test playoffs 

good thing Price was nowhere near that or he would be getting the blame 

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

100% right.  As spectacular as he was through 3 rounds, he has started to resemble the sub-par goaltender that he was through most of the regular season.

The game is over and so is the series

Correct on both counts.  It was a great ride, but the ride is over.

Just now, Pino10 said:

Worst Stanley Cup Final in a long time. What an embarrassment for Montreal and the NHL. 

Embarrassment for Montreal, yes. I don’t see why the NHL should be embarrassed; it’s not as though the Habs beat Pygmies to get here. Tampa is a terrible match-up for them, TB got all the breaks, and most importantly, Price missed the opportunity to cement his legacy with the all-time greats by being merely ordinary in the most important series of his life.

The game is over and so is the series

Two minutes to go and I am enjoying watching the Habs showing so much courage and heart 

a bad game by Price and quite a few costly mistakes resulting from the relentless play of TBL

i am a happy fan 

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's a mistake Price usually covers without issue. 

He's been pedestrian for 3 games when his team needed him the most.

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Two minutes to go and I am enjoying watching the Habs showing so much courage and heart 

a bad game by Price and quite a few costly mistakes resulting from the relentless play of TBL

i am a happy fan 

As usual, you set the bar far too low.

Embarrassment for Montreal, yes. I don’t see why the NHL should be embarrassed; it’s not as though the Habs beat Pygmies to get here. Tampa is a terrible match-up for them, TB got all the breaks, and most importantly, Price missed the opportunity to cement his legacy with the all-time greats by being merely ordinary in the most important series of his life.

First off did anyone really think we could beat Tampa?? I mean look at their talent compared to ours. Look at thier D compared to ours. 

I'm not taking anything away from the great job our guys did to get here , but Tampa is a different beast all together.

I thought we would get 1 maybe 2 games out of this series, but man we're like boy's playing men out there. It's just unfair and it really exposed our weaknesses.

2 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Remember the last 5 weeks when this team could both score and prevent goals in the same game? Those were days...

Totally outclassed and outcoached.  

We got the team that tailspin right before the trade line for this series. 

7 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

100% right.  As spectacular as he was through 3 rounds, he has started to resemble the sub-par goaltender that he was through most of the regular season.

The real surprise was the last 5-6 weeks of brilliant play. The last three games have been his normal form for most of the last five year.

1 minute ago, Fanpuck33 said:

The real surprise was the last 5-6 weeks of brilliant play. The last three games have been his normal form for most of the last five year.

I just think cooper is showing he's one hell of a coach. He's just simply out coaching us.

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

First off did anyone really think we could beat Tampa?? I mean look at their talent compared to ours. Look at thier D compared to ours. 

I'm not taking anything away from the great job our guys did to get here , but Tampa is a different beast all together.

I thought we would get 1 maybe 2 games out of this series, but man we're like boy's playing men out there. It's just unfair and it really exposed our weaknesses.

While this series is an unmitigated disaster, the faint bright side in this humiliation is that it should put a stopper in any smugness on the part of management. I mean, MB and his staff deserve tremendous credit for building a team that could win three rounds. But there is no longer any question that, say, we can go without adding a quality offensive defenceman. The fact that DD was playing Gustafsson heavy minutes is a huge signal to the GM about the limitations of this defence corps. 

The idea that Carey Price will carry us on his back to ultimate glory is probably another delusion which will be put to rest after this series. Unfortunately.

So we may see a more dynamic and creative summer of GMing than we would have done if it had been a long, tight series. And that’s a good thing.

I’m frustrated. A little embarrassed. Disappointed after my hopes were up. I feel a little as I did when we were down 3-1 to the Maples … so maybe an amazing story is about to unfold … I doubt it … but I’ll choose to still hope. 

At least win 1 so the Lightning don’t win the cup in Montreal. 

but even if the Lightning take it in 4, I’d rather lose in a sweep than not make the Final. Tell me at the beginning of the season that we’d made the final but be swept … I’d have said heck ya, cuz although I knew we were improved, I didn’t think final 2 improved. 

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Price is having one of his worst games of the playoffs 

Yep.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree.  The way Price played in the 1st 2 games I honestly would have given Allen serious consideration to start this game. 

Why?  Because, the Habs were down 2-0 so to have a good chance at winning the series this was a must win game.  What happens if you start Price and he lets in numerous weak goals and they lose?   They're now down 3-0, which is almost impossible to over come.   

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

I agree and thats sinking them.  I think if Allen had played in this game they probably would have won it.