STANLEY CUP FINAL - Game 4 - Tampa vs Habs - 8pm ET

JoeLassister

I like seeing Anderson on the LW with two good pasers.

:habslogo::habslogo::habslogo:

Go Habs Go!!!

It’s not a big deal at this point and I had no expectations that he would be in the lineup, but it is quite surprising that Tatar wasn’t used at any point after he was removed from the lineup. That guy was our leading scorer before the new blood came in.

(yes, I know about his playoff reputation)

38 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s not a big deal at this point and I had no expectations that he would be in the lineup, but it is quite surprising that Tatar wasn’t used at any point after he was removed from the lineup. That guy was our leading scorer before the new blood came in.

It is a surprising turn of events, but Tatar's game suffered a big drop this season and he does not bring anything other than offensive smarts, so if he is not producing he has little value. I think he needs to be seen as a guy who probably aged out early. He may limp along for a few more years in the way that Byron has been doing, but we have probably seen the last of Tomas Tatar as a top-6 FW.

A different way of looking at it, though, is to note that he crapped out in Vegas before he came here. Maybe he is a guy who only thrives when the FW configuration of a team is relatively weak. Once a team gets depth up front he slides out of the lineup. Some players are like that, they look great on expansion teams or bottom-feeders, but lose ground as a team gets stronger. In this case, he may get a third act with some weaker FW unit and look pretty good for a while yet.

In any case, he is clearly done like dinner with us.

On another note, I like the new bottom pairing. I feel Kulak has been somewhat unjustly treated by the Julien-Ducharme regimes, and I dig the idea of pairing him with Romanov. I expect that to be a useful pairing in limited minutes.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like seeing Anderson on the LW with two good pasers.

Go Habs Go!!!

I was going to say I liked these lines, until I saw the 3rd and 4th line.  We are seriously playing Stall over KK??  WTF???

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I was going to say I liked these lines, until I saw the 3rd and 4th line.  We are seriously playing Stall over KK??  WTF???

different roles, different matchups.

KK has been unable to win faceoffs, and set plays are killin gthe Habs. Also, he is not moving his feet and tends to "fall over like bambi" (like it was mentioned on this forum) making him miss backchecking assignments

image.png

• Upvote 1

All this Romanov talk in various threads has me envisioning a solid check, shoulder to sternum on Sergachev that leaves him in a heap. 

Then another crushing hit to Point that leaves him in a heap. 

I can’t accept that the bolts are just so vastly better than us. The Islanders took them to seven and the sum of our parts are at least as good as them (even if we don’t have that offensive star). 

We are winning tonight 

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

All this Romanov talk in various threads has me envisioning a solid check, shoulder to sternum on Sergachev that leaves him in a heap. 

I can’t accept that the bolts are just so vastly better than us. The Islanders took them to seven and the sum of our parts are at least as good as them (even if we don’t have that offensive star). 

We are winning tonight 

There are a number of factors, and I also don’t think Tampa is a sweep better than Montreal.  I’ve said before that Montreal doesn’t do well against big goalies.  It’s probably due to them not having a lights out shooter, yet.  I also noticed they throw a lot of pucks high that miss the net.  They need to make Vasilevskiy make those saves, as Keven Bieksa said, miss inside the net, not outside.

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We are winning tonight 

I hate to say it, but Sergachev is every bit as tough and ornery as Romanov.

I agree with you that the Habs are better than they have shown in this series. It starts with #31 being mediocre and cascades from there. The D has been sub-standard compared to previous rounds, and proven scorers like Toffoli have been impotent. And even then, we outplayed them during Game Two. Nearly all the bounces have gone Tampa’s way as well.

I feel the Habs have shown Vasilevskiy too much respect from the very start of the series. They keep missing the net, a sign of guys trying to pick corners and get too cute out of trying to make a perfect shot. He is a fantastic goalie, but the net result of this approach is that you don’t even test the guy, nor do you get rebounds. 

All I want to see tonight is a rock-solid effort, with strong goaltending, and few mistakes. Stop beating ourselves FFS.

Yes. At least make it seem like a battle. I think it’s simple, if the Canadiens score first we will win. If not, I can envision a game 3- like unraveling. 

15 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Yes. At least make it seem like a battle. I think it’s simple, if the Canadiens score first we will win. If not, I can envision a game 3- like unraveling. 

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs will win tonight 

there you go, you read it first here :)

We are going to score first tonight and yes indeed we are winning this game. 

What I want to know is are we done in 5 or did the Habs change the momentum in this series (surely due to Romanov dropping Hedman’s massive frame in the hit of the century - legal of course)?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hate to say it, but Sergachev is every bit as tough and ornery as Romanov.

I agree with you that the Habs are better than they have shown in this series. It starts with #31 being mediocre and cascades from there. The D has been sub-standard compared to previous rounds, and proven scorers like Toffoli have been impotent. And even then, we outplayed them during Game Two. Nearly all the bounces have gone Tampa’s way as well.

I feel the Habs have shown Vasilevskiy too much respect from the very start of the series. They keep missing the net, a sign of guys trying to pick corners and get too cute out of trying to make a perfect shot. He is a fantastic goalie, but the net result of this approach is that you don’t even test the guy, nor do you get rebounds. 

All I want to see tonight is a rock-solid effort, with strong goaltending, and few mistakes. Stop beating ourselves FFS.

Great analysis as always. 

Not that the bolts are making it easy but we need get in front of the damn net. 

Anderson may make some room for Suzuki and Caufield because Anderson takes up resources from Tampa to try and control him. Perhaps the two young stars can capitalize. 

Sergachev is just as you describe and it hurts to watch. Precisely why I hope Romanov can crush him tonight. 

Im happy with the line changes except KK and I hope we catch Tampa a bit off guard 

A random note - I'll be doing a pregame panel appearance on CP24 tonight starting around 8:10 that will run until just before puck drop.  So if you're tired of the talking heads on the CBC panel, you will have an alternative for a few minutes.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A random note - I'll be doing a pregame panel appearance on CP24 tonight starting around 8:10 that will run until just before puck drop.  So if you're tired of the talking heads on the CBC panel, you will have an alternative for a few minutes.

I think you can stream it here, for those of us that do not have an actual TV connection: 🤪

https://www.cp24.com/now

Way to go, Brian!

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Very cool.

It was touched on briefly within CC’s recent post but I think the key tonight is Carey Price. I find it hard to believe that the Habs won’t play well, and they’ve already outplayed Tanpa within the series but if Price isn’t outstanding, it may be all for naught. 

5 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Don't think it was because of his "playoff reputation" ... I think the coaching staff slowly lost confidence with across the course of the season (TT's worst goals/82 games in his career) ... 10 game slump in late January, early February ... 11 games from end of February through third week of March ... then a burst of 5 goals in 9 games, followed by a 12 game slump to finish the season ... think they hoped he would "get it together" in the playoffs ... when he didn't, they gave up on him. 

A key part of my ire at not playing KK and Romanov is that they are both pillars of our new core. Why wouldn’t you play them to get the invaluable playoff experience?

I could understand if there were better players in front of them but Merrill/Gustafsson/Staal/Evans are not better players. I get the argument for why Ducharme plays those guys instead. 

We are a better team with KK and Romanov on it anyway 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Interesting, hope you enjoy.:thumbs_up:

20 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

A key part of my ire at not playing KK and Romanov is that they are both pillars of our new core. Why wouldn’t you play them to get the invaluable playoff experience?

I could understand if there were better players in front of them but Merrill/Gustafsson/Staal/Evans are not better players. I get the argument for why Ducharme plays those guys instead. 

We are a better team with KK and Romanov on it anyway 

I can see this argument re: Romanov, but KK has been given lots of playoff opportunity...not playing Game 4 will make zero difference to his development.

He has sucked this series, and has been a disaster on draws; so I'm not too agitated at Evans drawing in over him. I get the ire against Staal, but his trio has been impressive enough game-in and game-out that I can understand the coaches being reluctant to much with it too much, even if its magic has somewhat dissipated this series, and even if Staal appears to be the weakest link on that line. Another way to put it is that I just don't see this particular decision as warranting much in the way of outrage. I'm glad Evans is in, anyway.

Lineup changes are minor tinkering. The keys to this game very simple. Price needs to step up and have a great game. The rest of them need to make vasilesky life hell… get in his grill.. get pucks on net.. and don’t let him see what is coming.

if tHey can do those things they can beat Tampa..