STANLEY CUP FINAL - Game 5 - Tampa vs. Habs - 8 PM

Fanpuck33

1 minute ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Yeah, I will be very interested to hear just how bad off Weber, Petry, and Gallagher were during this run.

Gallagher went down in a heap towards the end of the game as he was driving to the Tampa net. 

He fell awkwardly and was favoring his hand. 

Bet you it’s fractured. 

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

As expected.

At this point, the big question is how many will be missing to start next season?  This is going to be a pretty short offseason and while the run itself was thrilling, I don't think the Habs will be at full strength to start next year as a result of it.

Having said that, these last seven weeks have been a blast.  I didn't think they had it in them to get this far and while the end result tonight is certainly disappointing, there are a lot of positives to take from it as well.  :clap: Habs for a strong playoff effort.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

As expected.

I think it was a very big factor in who had to play and how difficult it was for us. Especially Petry, Weber and Gally. I didn't knw about Toffoli. That might explain why he seemed so wooden and inadequate out there. Hard to see how we wouldn't have been a lot stronger but for these significant factors. The team sure tried though and Price was a miracle man. 

16 minutes ago, huzer said:

NBC has absolutely refused to show anything Habs since the game ended. Grr.

Just like always, it is on-ice coverage from tossing the gloves as the clock expires to the team photo. As it should be. It's not like they are treating the Habs differently from any other Cup loser.

19 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Gallagher went down in a heap towards the end of the game as he was driving to the Tampa net. 

He fell awkwardly and was favoring his hand. 

Bet you it’s fractured. 

I mean, that would just be the icing on the cake. I doubt he was actually healthy when he returned for the playoffs and he took an absolute beating, even more than usual.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Just like always, it is on-ice coverage from tossing the gloves as the clock expires to the team photo. As it should be. 

To the victors.... 🤔

8 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Just like always, it is on-ice coverage from tossing the gloves as the clock expires to the team photo. As it should be. It's not like they are treating the Habs differently from any other Cup loser.

I flipped it over to the NHL network after a bit. The last few minutes on NBC wasn’t cup related, they were just saying their goodbyes. There are usually one or two quick quotes from the opposing team. 

I do guarantee had it been an American team, they would’ve at least got some fluff quote from the coach or something.

I’m very proud of the team, but still pissed at the shitty refereeing. Can’t wait to see Tampa lose players due to the Cap. I will hate them forever. 

Ironically glad to hear that Toffoli was hurt. I was singularly unimpressed with his play as he seemed to struggle with the simplest things. I feel a lot more forgiving hearing about his playing injured. 

We should have a special parade for Carey Price. What a hero. As the CBC would say, a fine person without a vulva. 

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

At this point, the big question is how many will be missing to start next season?  This is going to be a pretty short offseason and while the run itself was thrilling, I don't think the Habs will be at full strength to start next year as a result of it.

Having said that, these last seven weeks have been a blast.  I didn't think they had it in them to get this far and while the end result tonight is certainly disappointing, there are a lot of positives to take from it as well.  :clap: Habs for a strong playoff effort.

There’s a lot of positives. But what we absolutely cannot do is say, hey we we were close let’s keep the entire core together.  There are some significant changes we need to make and some hard choices we should be considering. We don’t have much time on deciding on the path forward, as we need to make decisions that will impact the protection list for the draft. I think Lekhonan and Evans are guys that need to be protected.

1) we absolutely need to upgrade the D. Weber played his heart out, but i don’t think he should be protected. If he is taken, we opened up a ton of cap room to trade for sign a puck mover like Hamilton (can’t see him picking us though). If he isn’t taken, we are able to protect another D that may have been picked. Ideally I’d like two significant upgrades on D.

2) UFA’s - id prefer to sign them after the draft. I think it’s obvious Tatar is gone, stall should be gone, Armia should be a guy we can sign on an affordable deal. Danault depend son $ and term. I want Perry back for sure.

3) Lekhonan should be protected and should be able to sign on an affordable deal.

4) Gallagher- heart and soul guy, but every year he is banged up. I think he is a chip you use to upgrade the D.

26 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

If it was the leafs…. It would have been all about the leafs. Just saying.

14 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

As expected.

I find that to be sorta annoying to be honest.  The Habs had a lot of depth and they could have used their players better.  They could have swapped more players in and out of the lineup, especially the banged up guys.  ex:  insert Evans on Wing, even try Tatar or Frolik.  They should have started using Kulak and Romy sooner.  

Plus, I would have started Allen Game 3 and spared Price of having to call himself out for his weak goals when they went down 3-0 in the series. 

I also would have benched KK 1 game earlier but only for 1 game.   Then I would have benched CC for 1 game and inserted KK in his spot on wing.  CC was part of 3 turnovers in the 1st 3 games that lead to goals and personally caused 2 turnovers in game 4 that luckily didnt lead to goals.  

The last time KK was benched he returned playing on Wing and he scored some big goals.  The same effect would probably happen with CC too.  They would've upped their play so they don't get benched again.  

6 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I’m very proud of the team, but still pissed at the shitty refereeing. Can’t wait to see Tampa lose players due to the Cap. I will hate them forever. 

They will still be a powerhouse and will have no trouble signing it players to accept less to go to a winner and a state with no income taxes and no winter.

6 minutes ago, PMAC said:

How about Drouin for Tarasenko?

Our first focus should be on the D. As good as Tampa was. We would have had a better chance with a better D core. Even with a healthy Petry - we need a more mobility and offence from the D.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Our first focus should be on the D. As good as Tampa was. We would have had a better chance with a better D core. Even with a healthy Petry - we need a more mobility and offence from the D.

Kelly Rudi was saying that Charot was our best player. 

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Maybe Weber Petry gallager and toffoli  can get season ending surgery, load up on replacements, go out and sign a couple permanent injured dudes and sign a couple more then they can all return at 110% on game one of the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They will still be a powerhouse and will have no trouble signing it players to accept less to go to a winner and a state with no income taxes and no winter.

Doesn’t matter. I hate them even more now. As per Chris Joshson: 

Nikita Kucherov: "The fans in Montreal acted like they won the Stanley Cup last game. Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? Their final was last round."

Classless jackass!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

A better d core is not the issue. The individuals on Montreal top 4 are all excellent. The issue for me is a more balanced d core. One of Chiarot, Weber, or (Hopefully not) Edmonson,  need to be switched for a puck mover. But I do agree that the lack of a puck mover was the biggest hole on this team in this playoff. 

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s a lot of positives. But what we absolutely cannot do is say, hey we we were close let’s keep the entire core together.  There are some significant changes we need to make and some hard choices we should be considering. We don’t have much time on deciding on the path forward, as we need to make decisions that will impact the protection list for the draft. I think Lekhonan and Evans are guys that need to be protected.

1) we absolutely need to upgrade the D. Weber played his heart out, but i don’t think he should be protected. If he is taken, we opened up a ton of cap room to trade for sign a puck mover like Hamilton (can’t see him picking us though). If he isn’t taken, we are able to protect another D that may have been picked. Ideally I’d like two significant upgrades on D.

2) UFA’s - id prefer to sign them after the draft. I think it’s obvious Tatar is gone, stall should be gone, Armia should be a guy we can sign on an affordable deal. Danault depend son $ and term. I want Perry back for sure.

3) Lekhonan should be protected and should be able to sign on an affordable deal.

4) Gallagher- heart and soul guy, but every year he is banged up. I think he is a chip you use to upgrade the D.

I share your concern about complacency. This was a “built for the playoffs” team for sure, but you also need to be able to make the playoffs. I’m not sure this group gets that done next year. It will tell us a lot about MB whether he rests on his laurels or continues to push.

On your specifics:

-Weber will be protected. Lehkonen should be too.

-Perry, Armia, and Danault *should* all be re-signed. But Danault has to be reasonable. If he isn’t, you cut him loose and cross your fingers.

-I agree that Gally should not be considered untouchable, but I will be absolutely gobsmacked if MB is willing to move him.

-and yes, this team has one really big weakness: lack of a quality top-4 puck-mover to complement Petry. If MB is serious about another run, he will need to get one. 

To me, the single biggest key to reaching the playoffs again will be Allen or an Allen substitute. If we expect Price to carry us for 82 games we are fools, plain and simple.