Habs Off Season 2021

How do you vote?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ducharme get a contract?

• Yes - One year contract to "prove" himself
    • Yes - Multi year contract
    • No - We need someone different
  2. 2. What kind of contract should Danault get (assume 6 year length)?

• 3-4 million per year
    • 4-5 million per year
    • 5-6 million per year
    • 6+ million a year
  3. 3. Should Weber be exposed to the Kraken?

• No way - He is our captain
    • Yes - He can't live up to his contract anymore

This was one heck of a season and I'm looking forward to what is next for us.

The most obvious play for us should be to place both Weber and Price on LTIR before the season starts then activate them in the playoffs. This isn't a slight at the Bolts per se, it's simply exploiting the system in the same way. Both of our vets played incredible playoff hockey but both struggled mightily at times during the regular season.  I wonder what we could do with an extra 20 million in cap space?.....

Bergevin had a very good off season in 2020 and we will need him to be equally as savvy this year.

UFAs

Perry

Staal

Armia

Danault

Tatar

Gustafsson

Merrill

RFAs

Lehkonen

Kotkaniemi

It looks like we have a little under 15 million in cap space with only 15 players currently signed.

I expect both RFAs to get contracts

I expect both Danault and Armia to get contracts

We won't have a whole lot of cap space left depending on the contracts given out to our UFAs and RFAs

None of this takes into account the player we lose to the Kraken but we will need to replace that player (thinking Allen here). Drouin might remain on the LTIR or he might be back so its tough to think about his his salary right now.

Long story short, we don't have a lot of cap space so how should it be used? We all want that puck moving Dman but how do we do that with not much cap space? Short of the Bolts style cap circumvention? Do we expose Weber? Would the Kraken take him? Would that crush us? Maybe Drouin is LTIR or is moved?

What can Bergevin actually do? With little cap space it difficult to see us signing a big UFA so perhaps a trade?

What would you do?

I forgot to speak about Ducharme in the first post. 

I want to clarify that when I call him an idiot I mean in the hockey sense. The man Ducharme is an intelligent, charming person. 

I have two key issues 

Ducharme, like Julien has the type of personality that sees the reasons why something can’t be done as opposed to why it can be done. It has been referred to as playing not to lose. 

Think about Anderson; his first thought is about cutting to the net. Other players with the same skills etc look at the same situation and never cut to the net because their brains immediately go to why it can’t be done. 

It is a personality trait that is neither good nor bad - it just is. Think of your workplace and we all work with people like this. Some team members throw around ideas while others always shut ideas down  - simply because that is where their brain goes first. 

It is this way of thinking that causes a coach to start the playoffs without Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Romanov. 

The second issue is the micromanaged, system heavy coaching style. Think about how many PP never even get in the opponents zone. We spend so much time trying to create the right opportunity to use a set play it’s crazy. These set plays happen in every area of the ice and in all circumstances. It stifles creativity and talent and it makes us predictable. 

I expect that he gets a contract, I mean he went to the Stanley cup final but I wish we would at least see who else might be available 

Ducharme coached us to the Finals. He will get a multi-year deal. Should he? I hear what you are saying about a guy who thinks “no” instead of “yes” (which is, BTW, a very perceptive point about human character. I hate dealing with those “no” people at work, especially when they are above me in the food chain). Still, looking at the bilingual options out there, he is surely close to the top of the list. May as well keep going with him. Insofar as he has limitations, we have to trust that he will learn to move past them, as the best coaches and managers do.

Regarding cap space, one known unknown is how the Drouin file will play out. If somehow we can offload that contract, or else have him permanently on LTIR so that it doesn’t matter, that would be helpful.

I think they’ll find a way to get a Danault deal done. I worry a bit that his key role in the Run of ‘21 will lead to an overpay. If we do overpay, at least keep the term down.

I find the Weber question the toughest of these. On the one hand, that contract is on the edge of becoming seriously crippling. On the other, subtracting Weber - assuming Seattle wants him - would be a sledgehammer blow to the D and a huge pole-axe to the team’s psychology. Coming on the heels of this playoff, it might even be experienced as a betrayal by a lot of the players (“this guy, our captain, bleeds for the CH and eats 25 brutal minutes every night and this is how they repay him? By humiliating him, dumping him like garbage in the expansion draft?”) The damage done to internal culture, combined with the yawning hole on the blueline, may well exceed any benefit we could secure from the added cap space. This would not have been the case to the same degree if, say, we had crapped out in Round One or missed the playoffs; then, while the players would mourn the loss of their “leader,” they probably would have understood it as a hockey move. Coming on the heels of reaching the Finals, though? No way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Weber’s contract is not as crippling as y’all say. It drops significantly in actual cap over coming years.

Ducharme, meh. Cant say I like or dislike. Don’t think he made good lineup calls at times and the PP was a sore spot more than a benefit most times.

Danault is not worth signing for top 6 money. 

13 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Weber’s contract is not as crippling as y’all say. It drops significantly in actual cap over coming years.

Ducharme, meh. Cant say I like or dislike. Don’t think he made good lineup calls at times and the PP was a sore spot more than a benefit most times.

Weber’s cap hit is static from year to year and the cap is not going to rise for a few years. You are confusing cap hit with annual salary. Yes, it risks becoming crippling.

I somewhat agree with the post above.

Ducharme, I am indifferent about. I don’t think that is necessarily a great way to feel about a coach that has just brought you to the Stanley Cup Final. It’s not about me but I personally hope I grow to like him. That being said, I would say one year contract.

I also have my own personal opinion about Danault and if I had to pick an option, it would be the lowest total. I understand what he did these playoffs but considering where he often draws in the lineup, he brings down the offensive upside of his top 6 linemates. I am willing to listen to adverse opinions, but I doubt it will change mine. 

As for Weber, I’ve been his biggest defender but I actually personally felt as though his age showed as the playoffs progressed. It’s not really an accurate criticism though, as everyone plays banged up by the end of the playoffs, and so it simply could be the natural wear and tear of the grind. In the end, I would never consider exposing him to the Kraken.

I don’t think Weber is even considered when it comes to the expansion draft. Now, if another team values his leadership and wants to trade then I could see a possible move.. 

Drouin will be dealt. I have no idea what his value is.. have to hope MB has another Domi/Anderson deal up his sleeve.

Lineup next year..

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield

Toffoli - KK - ??

Gallagher - Danault - Armia

Byron - Evans - Lehk

Bring back Danault and Armia and look for a 2nd line scorer.

33 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Webers contract does NOT drop in actual cap. It drops in actual salary - which really doesn’t help the cap issue. It may make it easier to move him later, BUT if he declines more, it won’t be easy.  Right now his value is about as high as it ever will be.

18 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Lineup next year..

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield

Toffoli - KK - ??

Gallagher - Danault - Armia

Byron - Evans - ??

If you add in Lehkonen (sure to be signed) and Perry (likely, I think) we already have 12 forwards. With some in Laval (Poehling, Ylonen) that will be looking to crack the lineup. I can't see Drouin being back in a Habs sweater.

Defence will be the more interesting situation in the offseason.

Ducharme should get a 3-4 year deal. Enough that he is secure; not so long that he can’t be fired if the players tune him out, his systems are countered, or he ended up being the fortunate beneficiary of a fluke run (oh god I hope it’s not #3).

ideal to me is to sit down with Weber and work out a scenario that is best for the team. For example, expose him so the Habs can protect a different Dman but have him announce if he gets selected by Seattle, he’ll just retire - basically scare off the Kraken. I think even with his cap hit, he can help the team - just not as a top 2 Dman, instead as a 3-5. 

danault - I hope he comes back. We need the French Canadian (I don’t like politics mixing with my sports, but it is what it is) and he is a great shut down Forward. I just hope he is paid as a shut down forward and not as a scoring center. MB’s original offer was good and fair, maybe up it 1/2 mil per as a playoff reward and a saving face/show of respect to Danault. 

I heard a radio host suggest the best head coach in the Habs system is Richardson. He was at the helm for the most significant series win vs Vegas and during those games it could be argued the Habs played their most complete games against top opposition. 

I’d hope Richardson is ok waiting a year or 2 to give Ducharme time to flame out and work on his French. 

I'm a bit on the fence with Weber....we can only lose him and feel good about it if we land a great replacement.  That in addition to a puck moving D-man.

Drouin has to go...that was true before whatever his current issue is, and is 10x as true now.  Tatar is clearly gone...need a quality replacement top 6 forward.  Hopefully we can keep Perry.  Armia I'm on the fence about...he's really good about half the time, a guy you want an upgrade on half the time.  Leks...hard worker, but hands of stone....I want an upgrade.  Kotkaniemi, aside from his streak during the playoffs, was not good this season.  A cheap 2 year bridge deal is all I'd consider if keeping him and hoping he develops.

I don’t see how Drouin gets traded - short of a situation for situation type trade. We may get the LTIR

If Drouin plays and we sign the RFAs and Danault and Armia that leaves us almost nothing ~3 million maybe?

Im thinking short of a trade we will not add any significant piece - unless Danault walks. 

Similar to regular season roster with probably Poehling making the jump. 

Maybe the Kraken surprise us with their pick 🤷‍♂️ We find out July 21

23 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I heard a radio host suggest the best head coach in the Habs system is Richardson. He was at the helm for the most significant series win vs Vegas and during those games it could be argued the Habs played their most complete games against top opposition. 

I’d hope Richardson is ok waiting a year or 2 to give Ducharme time to flame out and work on his French. 

Richardson looked go to me, notwithstanding having Cooper eat his lunch in Game One. But it depends how good his French is. Right now it's not either-or, we can keep both.

A question: what if we buy out Drouin? Is that an option?

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Richardson looked go to me, notwithstanding having Cooper eat his lunch in Game One. But it depends how good his French is. Right now it's not either-or, we can keep both.

He has 2 years at 5.5 million so not desirable but doable. 

Perhaps the best outcome is that Drouin is back next season and plays like a champion. Nobody seems to be expecting that but it is a possibility 

• Like 1

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He has 2 years at 5.5 million so not desirable but doable. 

Perhaps the best outcome is that Drouin is back next season and plays like a champion. Nobody seems to be expecting that but it is a possibility 

hahahahahahahah, sorry to be rude, but yes, it is a possibility, somewhere on the level of my winning the Nobel Prize for literature.

You'd think LTIR would be the option here on drouin if he's not back from whatever ails him. Could he had been the difference in these playoffs? Highly unlikely.

Its amazing when you think 2 of our highest paid forwards largely played zero role in this run  (10M for Tatar and Drouin.)

You'd have to believe if they expose Weber the Krak likely take Allen and if they protect Weber they likely take one of Edmundson or Chiarot...Or maybe they sign a UFa and were in the clear.

Caufield has already replaced Tatar in the top 6

How far away is norlinder from being the puck mover we crave?

Is Evans the heir apparant to Danault?

Is Poehling centering Perry and Armia

on the 4th line? Cause I want Perry back!

Surely weve seen the last of the scratching of KK and Romanov

One great thing from this run is how the vets have rehabilitated their trade value. Weber and Price will both bring positive assets back in a trade for the next couple of seasons based on how they raised their game this postseason.

I can't help but think that we should have given Gally's money to Danault.  He's the true driver of that line, and much more valuable positionally.  As it stands, Gally's contract is looking to be a bit of an albatross - he was worth 6.5M when he was scoring 30, but how many times is he gonna hit that mark over the duration of this deal?

Armia's earned himself a healthy raise this postseason, and I doubt we'll be able to afford him and Danault.  Between Anderson and Armia, who's actually the better power forward?  I would say Armia has more of a complete game, while also being able to chip in offensively.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nate Schmidt wants out of Van.

we should explore that agressively

Is he the top 4 PMD the Habs need?  At $5.95M for four years?  I'm not certain ... 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nate Schmidt wants out of Van.

we should explore that agressively

Isn't it the other way around?  Everything I've seen so far is that Vancouver really wants to get rid of him.

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's a tricky one.  He's not physically injured but the league didn't step in and cause a fuss when he was moved to LTIR.  So if he was 'injured' for the purposes of in-season availability, it all depends on whether he has recovered to be eligible for a buyout.  If what I've heard from a couple of people is true in terms of what is happening there, that seems like an incredibly difficult bar to clear.  A trade would probably be easier to make than trying to ram through a buyout over the next couple of weeks.

31 minutes ago, Neech said:

One great thing from this run is how the vets have rehabilitated their trade value. Weber and Price will both bring positive assets back in a trade for the next couple of seasons based on how they raised their game this postseason.

I can't help but think that we should have given Gally's money to Danault.  He's the true driver of that line, and much more valuable positionally.  As it stands, Gally's contract is looking to be a bit of an albatross - he was worth 6.5M when he was scoring 30, but how many times is he gonna hit that mark over the duration of this deal?

Armia's earned himself a healthy raise this postseason, and I doubt we'll be able to afford him and Danault.  Between Anderson and Armia, who's actually the better power forward?  I would say Armia has more of a complete game, while also being able to chip in offensively.

I am 100% for trading/moving both Price and Weber but I bet the Habs are at 0%. Especially because they were both incredible this playoffs. 

Almost 20 million in cap space is massive