Habs Off Season 2021

How do you vote?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ducharme get a contract?

• Yes - One year contract to "prove" himself
    • Yes - Multi year contract
    • No - We need someone different
  2. 2. What kind of contract should Danault get (assume 6 year length)?

• 3-4 million per year
    • 4-5 million per year
    • 5-6 million per year
    • 6+ million a year
  3. 3. Should Weber be exposed to the Kraken?

• No way - He is our captain
    • Yes - He can't live up to his contract anymore

Wants to come back ... great veteran exit interview with the press ... shows why (IMO) he should;d be back

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This tweet makes me think his salary might be lower than I think 

Actually to me it means "I see my value and want it respected" ... expect tough negotiations ... a generous contract will (IMO) prove problematic as the Habs move forward

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This really sucks 

Yeah, there's more to it than that.  Bouchard was passed over for Ducharme which took away his path to possibly being an NHL coach.  He saw the writing on the wall; why stick around for several more years when you're as high as you're going to go?  Going to Anaheim, a team with a good AHL program and a potential vacancy behind the NHL bench, makes a ton of sense for him.

There's the ridiculous veteran fiasco from 2019-20 which Bouchard was a significant part of which certainly leads to questions about how he'll be able to handle a group of veterans in the NHL where the same motivational tactics from junior hockey don't work.  I liked Bouchard as a development coach but I have serious doubts he'll be a successful NHL head coach.  I wouldn't be shocked if Bergevin felt the same way.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah, there's more to it than that.  Bouchard was passed over for Ducharme which took away his path to possibly being an NHL coach.  He saw the writing on the wall; why stick around for several more years when you're as high as you're going to go?  Going to Anaheim, a team with a good AHL program and a potential vacancy behind the NHL bench, makes a ton of sense for him.

There's the ridiculous veteran fiasco from 2019-20 which Bouchard was a significant part of which certainly leads to questions about how he'll be able to handle a group of veterans in the NHL where the same motivational tactics from junior hockey don't work.  I liked Bouchard as a development coach but I have serious doubts he'll be a successful NHL head coach.  I wouldn't be shocked if Bergevin felt the same way.

Maybe this is as simple as Bergevin not liking Bouchard as a NHL coach as you suggest. 

I remember comments from KK and others about how great of a teacher and communicator Bouchard is and this organization needs that. However, these attributes are indeed about development. 

I don’t usually sweat losing people but this one feels like losing a great guy like Brisebois 

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t like Armia’s comments. I bet he gets more $ elsewhere 

Yeah, that kind of talk is never good. Odds are very good that he’s gone, which sucks for us.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, Neech said:

I don't begrudge Armia for getting his payday. He knew he was the odd man out when we gave Anderson the bag. I'll miss him, though.

Even if he has confidence in the Habs being able to make another run for the Cup again in the near future, he may not be so keen on a fourth-line role. Even if it's next to Perry and our fourth line is getting more minutes than many other teams' third lines.

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Even if he has confidence in the Habs being able to make another run for the Cup again in the near future, he may not be so keen on a fourth-line role. Even if it's next to Perry and our fourth line is getting more minutes than many other teams' third lines.

I think he’s a guy that can slide up and down as needed on the 3rd, or 4th line. I like his jam, but someone will probably be dumb enough to overpay him. I’m not a big believer in playing a guy for a Hohn Druce type of run - and a 50% John Druce run at that.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Suter being bought out, should habs take a gamble on him to improve the LD side? 

Certainly an option to consider ... could depend on which Hab ends up a Kraken ... or whatever other moves MB may have in the works for the D-corps ... Norlinder, Guhle, Harris and Struble all seem likely to need another year to develop.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

... Norlinder, Guhle, Harris and Struble all seem likely to need another year to develop.

At a minimum and Struble, is miles and years away.

Guhle likely 1 year in WHL then 1 in AHL, then we will see i assume?

46 minutes ago, DON said:

At a minimum and Struble, is miles and years away.

Guhle likely 1 year in WHL then 1 in AHL, then we will see i assume?

Unfortunately the Habs are heading for a bit of a developmental logjam on left-side defence, and about 1 year later than what is ideal. 

👍

So one down ... still need to resolve ... whether Burrows stays with DD or goes to Laval as HC ... who will be the day-to-day goaltending coach (expect Burke will focus on his actual role - "DIRECTOR of Goaltending") ... and ... who to add to the staff.

18 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Unfortunately the Habs are heading for a bit of a developmental logjam on left-side defence, and about 1 year later than what is ideal. 

So many D-men, and who's our best forward prospect now?  Ylonen?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Mysak maybe?

Ylonen IMHO

He is not dominant, nor flashy. A bit lanky and wobbly in traffic. But seems to be well positioned to find scoring changes, has good speed and is not a defensive liability

Mysak needs to get stronger

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ylonen IMHO

He is not dominant, nor flashy. A bit lanky and wobbly in traffic. But seems to be well positioned to find scoring changes, has good speed and is not a defensive liability

Mysak needs to get stronger

Not currently, but in general. But, does seem slim pickings at the moment, maybe Tuch will develop; but dont expect an impact player from him neither.