Habs Off Season 2021

How do you vote?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ducharme get a contract?

• Yes - One year contract to "prove" himself
    • Yes - Multi year contract
    • No - We need someone different
  2. 2. What kind of contract should Danault get (assume 6 year length)?

• 3-4 million per year
    • 4-5 million per year
    • 5-6 million per year
    • 6+ million a year
  3. 3. Should Weber be exposed to the Kraken?

• No way - He is our captain
    • Yes - He can't live up to his contract anymore

1 hour ago, DON said:

Still think Bergy is battling pretty low % on trying washed up NHLers. Perry was about it wasnt he? So going after more of those is low risk obviously, but slim chance would be more worthwhile then, say playing a Poehling or Ylonen on 4th line.

Well considering we had Streit, Semin, Alzner, Briere, Gonchar, king, ott, I’d agree. 

Perry and Kovolchuck were home runs, but that’s a higher strikeout ratio than what Dave Kingman used to have.

Why are we ignoring 

Fleischman (who got us danault)

Nate thompson (who was good with us and went on to winnipeg for a pick)

Marco Scandella (who we flipped for better picks)

Eric Staal - was shit in the season but good in the playoff.

Nick Cousins - flipped for picks.

Torrey Mitchell - flipped for picks

Joe Morrow - flipped for picks.

I mean sure, if we dont count those guys the batting average does suck.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really hope you are joking…

I am somewhat joking, and I am not 100% sold on big slow dmen etc is the way to go, but it did get the Habs to the Cup Finals so who knows what MB will do.  From MB perspective if he's still going with the premise of "built for the playoffs" I could see him being interested in Chara, or Getzlaff and Lucic.  Its sorta unarguable that they do fit that criteria and their size would make the Habs tougher and harder to play against.  Plus, they'd be cheap and he wouldnt have to give up anything to get them.  

Ultimately, Hamilton and Jones would be preferred, but he'd need to give up assets to get them (i.e. likely Romanov) and they'd both want contracts that pay them a lot per year and for numerous years.  Thats sorta high risk, especially if it turns out the Cup run was an unrepeatable fluke.  

In addition, Weber will miss all of next season, so if MB manages to get Hamilton and Jones they'd be signed for numerous years so it would cause a cap issue if/when Weber does return.  Realistically, MB can't really pick up both of them, and they do need a 5th large dman, and somebody to replace Weber but only for 1 year.  Hamilton or Jones would replace Weber for 1 year, and Chara could be the 5th guy. 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Expect Getzlaf re-signing to be one of the many contracts announced soon after the transactions freeze is lifted.

You believe that the Ducks will resign him? 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why are we ignoring 

Did we get those guy to flip for picks, or make us better when we got them?  I don’t think any of them moved the bar in making us better WHEN they were brought in.  Did we originally draft Galchenyuk, so we can get Anderson, and Sergechev, so we could get Drouin?

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Did we get those guy to flip for picks, or make us better when we got them?  I don’t think any of them moved the bar in making us better WHEN they were brought in.  Did we originally draft Galchenyuk, so we can get Anderson, and Sergechev, so we could get Drouin?

They were veterans added to the roster to help our bottom lines. 

Did we intend to flip them? of course not, but that wasn't the point.

They helped our bottom lines and obviously had value around the NHL seeing as other teams wanted them when we were out of the playoffs in those seasons. 

They were always bottom line players on cheap contracts, so its not Fleischman's fault tht Price's knee was messed up in 2016, or Thompson's fault that the team wasn't good enough in 2020.... etc... etc... but they were decent players we picked up as reclamation projects and were decent NHLers for us, good enough that we could cash in when we didn't need them anymore.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Perry - win

Staal - meh

Kovalchuk - win

But, it's really a pretty small sample. (Not including washed-up goalies here.)

Gonchar, Semin, Hemsky, Briere...

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Why are we ignoring 

I totally agree. 

I've previously seen people say to fire Timmins and everybody in scouting but I honestly think that whoever picks these guys does an excellent job.

Sure, everybody that has a negative thing to say about all of those guys is right, they all had flaws.  However, they are forgetting any positives they had.  Furthermore, MB basically gives up nothing to get them and then often gets even better pics back when he gets rid of them. 

The Habs are really cheap in the sense of paying very little to get something they need.  They seem very good at targeting the cheapest available guy that does a specific things that they need.   At this years trade deadline they were close to the cap so I was totally shocked to hear they picked up 3 guys. 

Plus, its common that trade deadline pick ups arent rentals and they bring them back.  When they got Staal for a 3rd and a 5th my 1st thought was MB doesnt usually pay that much for a rental, so that made me believe that he had plans to keep him for next year.  I'm not sure if his reg season was good enough to warrant it though. 

30 minutes ago, DON said:

Gonchar, Semin, Hemsky, Briere...

I'll take "Who are three players that played (a handful of games) for the Habs over 6 years ago, Alex?" 

I mean, did Moen do anything after being traded for Gonchar? Hemsky never played again after his concussion issues, Semin was quickly sent packing and his contract was a non-issue, Briere was traded for Parenteau (who was then bought out). I mean if we're getting on Bergevin for these minor issues, might as well start critiquing his fashion sense, too. Briere/Parenteau were the only one of those 4 that had minor cap implications.

Mind you, I called for his canning after the Habs lost an abysmal game 4 to the Leafs. I'm not nearly as sunshine and rainbows after the playoffs as others are, but the depth flyers that Bergevin took aren't the reasons that I wasn't happy with his GM performance that past few years. It's another offseason of "we'll see". First and foremost, let's see how Montreal manages to replace Kulak when he's selected by Seattle.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:
2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I don't think Friedman changed his Twitter handle to @MeteMint...

HOLY HELL LOL

I didn’t even notice 

🤣

At this point in his career I'd say that 5.25/yr is way too much money. 

I would target 

Krejci 

Hamilton 

Suter 

Hyman 

Toffoli  Suzuki  Caufeild 

Anderson  Kotkaniemi  Gallagher 

Lehkonen  Krejci  Hyman 

Armia  Evans  Perry 

Chiarot  Petry 

Edmundson  Hamilton 

Suter  Romanov 

Price 

Allan 

Ltir Weber , Drouin 

Byron gets picked by Seattle in expansion draft 

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

🤣

At this point in his career I'd say that 5.25/yr is way too much money. 

Yeah. Even if you thought he was going to break out, I’d want a 8 yrsif I was going to give a premium based on his performance to date - and Insure wouldn’t be comfortable enough to give him the money or term yet. Rather do a 1 year term and if he comes through sign him ling term.

17 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, if KK gets 5.25 then what does Suzuki get? 

Yes exactly. 

Plus, when you over pay just 1 player it can potentially cause a problem with other players.  ex:  pay someone 6 mil/yr and they only get 45 pts; then if another player gets 45 pts they could want 6mil/yr too.  If the 2nd player is important enough to the team that they need to resign them then next thing you know you're over paying 2 guys. 

23 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

You all realize you're talking about a 5.25 number that some random person on Twitter posted... RIght?

Great point

Not just a random person. 

A random person who took the time to spoof his account and make it look like an insider, just to troll people. 

And you are all being trolled every time you discuss this as if it is in any way real.

• Upvote 1

Seems the Habs off-season will start with a media scrum tomorrow :)

Can you smell what the HABs are coking ?!

The Rock Smell GIFs | Tenor

23 minutes ago, Neech said:

Is Dougie Hamilton worth the 8.5M it would probably take to get him?

Yes. But if on the first day of free agency if Makar is available, I’d be willing to offer him McDavid money.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yes. But if on the first day of free agency if Makar is available, I’d be willing to offer him McDavid money.

Makar would be tremendous ... problem is that an offer sheet ties up that money, and the related picks, for up to 7 days as Colorado decides whether to match, if Makar even signs the offer sheet ... also, since Hamilton has been given permission to talk to teams the Habs could know before free agency opens whether they have got a deal in place, making the rest of free agency (and the hunt to replace Weber) easier to manage.