Habs Off Season 2021

How do you vote?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ducharme get a contract?

• Yes - One year contract to "prove" himself
    • Yes - Multi year contract
    • No - We need someone different
  2. 2. What kind of contract should Danault get (assume 6 year length)?

• 3-4 million per year
    • 4-5 million per year
    • 5-6 million per year
    • 6+ million a year
  3. 3. Should Weber be exposed to the Kraken?

• No way - He is our captain
    • Yes - He can't live up to his contract anymore

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Did MB actually say that Weber is "probably" done for his career???

If so, that is quite a thing to say - basically a guarantee that Weber is done.

yes. I think the sound bite is MB saying "It was tough for Weber, he is a real hockey player and this is all he has know all his life"

My enduring memory of Weber will probably be Game 4 of the Finals. Playing with a broken body that should not even have been on the ice, determined that his team would not face the ignominity of being swept, he turned in an absolutely dominant performance. Weber, more than any other player, willed that victory.

He had nothing left after that. But that was a truly heroic effort. You could see in his devastated expression on the bench in the dying moments of Game 5 how much he had paid and how much the end of it all hurt.

Godspeed, Shea Weber.

(And yes - if he wants to coach, we should get him behind a bench).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DON said:

So, issue will be gone/dealt with by Sept?

Great to hear, as frustrating as he is to watch at times, he is still good for 40+points... in a bad year.:clap:

He basically said that the issue is already gone, and Drouin has recovered.

If we get the "good Drouin", he will absolutely make a positive impact on our scoring, whether through scoring or playmaking.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My enduring memory of Weber will probably be Game 4 of the Finals. Playing with a broken body that should not even have been on the ice, determined that his team would not face the ignominity of being swept, he turned in an absolutely dominant performance. Weber, more than any other player, willed that victory.

He had nothing left after that. But that was a truly heroic effort. You could see in his devastated expression on the bench in the dying moments of Game 5 how much he had paid and how much the end of it all hurt.

Godspeed, Shea Weber.

(And yes - if he wants to coach, we should get him behind a bench).

Fully agreed. I would very much like to keep him in the organization. Mind you, I don't know what he is allowed to do while on LTIR.

49 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Fully agreed. I would very much like to keep him in the organization. Mind you, I don't know what he is allowed to do while on LTIR.

Chris Pronger worked for the league in the Dept of Player Safety while on LTIR.  I can't see why the league would say Weber can't coach, if thats what he wants to do. 

They'd probably want to know how much we are paying him to coach and get a good look at that contract though.

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

He likes to go.to museums instead of going to bars.  Meh... i dont see the problem.

I don’t have an issue with signing him either - actually support it. I just don’t know if he wants to go to another media frenzy type of market where they can spend 4 hrs every afternoon for a week taking about him, they way they did I’m the FAN960 in Calgary. Every dressing issue was blown over 10x tha what he experienced in Carolina, the thing with his brother was dragged on with the media.

It’s not about not wanting him, it’s more about not thinking he wants to be in that type of market or environment, rather than go to a market where he’s left alone and can do his thing. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t have an issue with signing him either - actually support it. I just don’t know if he wants to go to another media frenzy type of market where they can spend 4 hrs every afternoon for a week taking about him, they way they did I’m the FAN960 in Calgary. Every dressing issue was blown over 10x tha what he experienced in Carolina, the thing with his brother was dragged on with the media.

It’s not about not wanting him, it’s more about not thinking he wants to be in that type of market or environment, rather than go to a market where he’s left alone and can do his thing. 

Fair enough.

What are his options going to be for 8 million a year.  Us, Seattle, Chicago.... thats probably it.

With Weber’s money likely headed to LTIR, wonder if MB sends another offer sheet if he misses on Hamilton.

Hronek? 
I’d send big money to Svechnikov in Carolina.

They already hate us.

2 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

With Weber’s money likely headed to LTIR, wonder if MB sends another offer sheet if he misses on Hamilton.

Hronek? 
I’d send big money to Svechnikov in Carolina.

They already hate us.

I like Hronek but offer-sheeting a team that has that much cap space isn't going to accomplish much.  Unless you're ridiculously overpaying in terms of price and pick compensation, you're better off targeting the cap-strapped teams.  That's not Carolina either.

Carolina isn’t cap strapped but I think you go after tight owners. Even when they signed Aho the talk was would their owner want to pay all that money up front each year.. so do the same thing with Svech. 
He’d be dynamic with Suzuki for the next 7 years. 

Just now, TheDriveFor25 said:

Carolina isn’t cap strapped but I think you go after tight owners. Even when they signed Aho the talk was would their owner want to pay all that money up front each year.. so do the same thing with Svech. 
He’d be dynamic with Suzuki for the next 7 years. 

The talk on that lasted what, seven or eight minutes before they leaked they were matching? 

Front-load it all you want, they still match.  And with escrow rates higher now than they will be a few years from now, there's not much incentive for a player to front-load.  I like Svechnikov but he's not a viable offer sheet target.

waiting for the UFA getting started, I'll park my UFA wish list here. What I want most is to add a RHD:

Ideally, one of Hamilton, Barrie,

If that is not possible, I woud like them to bring back one both of these ubpopular choices: Merrill and Gustafsson

But I would be ok if we got a depth RHD instead: Ceci, Poolman, Belpedio

====

Forwards?

From the current UFAs with the club, I hope they bring back these three: Perry and Armia, Danault

54 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

waiting for the UFA getting started, I'll park my UFA wish list here. What I want most is to add a RHD:

Ideally, one of Hamilton, Barrie,

If that is not possible, I woud like them to bring back one both of these ubpopular choices: Merrill and Gustafsson

But I would be ok if we got a depth RHD instead: Ceci, Poolman, Belpedio

====

Forwards?

From the current UFAs with the club, I hope they bring back these three: Perry and Armia, Danault

Habs need to replace the 22+minutes that Weber played each game ... IMO filling out the defence with Merrill and Gustafsson (or other depth RHD) the Habs struggle to be a bubble-team ... and Perry might have to challenge Ryan Suter's all-time, regular season record of 29:25 TOI per game ... I would rather look at Deangelo (for all his "warts") and a second tier UFA like Savard, Montour or Harmonic.

Agree on Perry ... Armia depends entirely on his AAV (no more than $3M) ... I have mentally moved on from Danault unless he has far more reasonable demands than I expect (no more than $4.25M) ... I see Krejci, Wennberg, Stastny and Granlund as possible replacements in the shorter term.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Habs need to replace the 22+minutes that Weber played each game ... IMO filling out the defence with Merrill and Gustafsson the Habs struggle to be a bubble-team ... and Perry might have to challenge Ryan Suter's all-time, regular season record of 29:25 TOI per game ... I would rather look at Deangelo (for all his "warts") and a second tier UFA like Savard, Montour or Harmonic.

Agree with much of what you say but very cautious about Deangelo as I think they have a great room and they don't want to ruin that.  It's doubtful MB is willing to spend the likely 9M required to get Hamilton and that's assuming he would even want to come to a hockey crazy market like Montreal.  Savard would be my first choice assuming the dollars and term are reasonable. 

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree with much of what you say but very cautious about Deangelo as I think they have a great room and they don't want to ruin that.  It's doubtful MB is willing to spend the likely 9M required to get Hamilton and that's assuming he would even want to come to a hockey crazy market like Montreal.  Savard would be my first choice assuming the dollars and term are reasonable. 

Savard's stats are not that great, he seems to be be over paid and over played

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Savard's stats are not that great, he seems to be be over paid and over played

It depends on the price, Savard is a gritty guy, plays tough and is a good teammate.  Won't score a ton of points. They will need a RHD. I don't think Josh Brook is ready yet. 

Hockey30 (my favourite French Eklund hockey site) suggests the Habs options at centre are (just being honest about the source of the names I'm throwing out):

TRADE

Christian Dvorak - IMO an excellent option ... won't be cheap but fills a need, and at a reasonable price for four years while KK completes his development (be it for better or for worse) ... Habs either end up with an impressive trio of centres or they have a decent 2C to support Suzuki

Ryan Strome - decent option ... 2yrs @ $4.5M ... 22g/82gm the last three seasons

Dylan Strome - stop-gap option ... 1 yr@$3M

Sam Steel - can't see Ducks moving him ... and no further, maybe less, advanced than KK ... not a fit IMO ... but would love to have him for the longer term

Casey Mittelstadt - can't see Sabres moving him ... more of a building block for them ... would love to have him 

FREE AGENTS

Travis Zajac - one-year stop-gap maybe ... but seems like a "Lou-guy"

Tyler Bozak - one-year stop-gap possibility ... but at the right price

I would also look at:

Adam Heinrique ... Anaheim in rebuild ... 31 yrs old ... 3 yrs @$5.825 ... 55% faceoffs last season ... 23g/82gm last four years ... 10 team NTC an impediment ... perhaps Armia as part of the offer, offsetting some of the cap (Byron would be ideal and if it wouldn't cost too much extra then go for it)

Yanni Gourde ... slim chance ... both because he is a Kraken centre-piece and his full NTC ... but would be ideal

JT Miller ... might cost Gallagher (local hero returns) in a multi-piece deal ... but would be a solid addition IMO

Nazeem Kadri ... unlikely as he is really the Avs only current choice for their 2C ... many put off by his suspensions ... but IMO he would be a fine one-year patch (longer if it works out and he re-signs)

It will be an interesting next few weeks

• Upvote 1