Habs Off Season 2021

How do you vote?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ducharme get a contract?

• Yes - One year contract to "prove" himself
    • Yes - Multi year contract
    • No - We need someone different
  2. 2. What kind of contract should Danault get (assume 6 year length)?

• 3-4 million per year
    • 4-5 million per year
    • 5-6 million per year
    • 6+ million a year
  3. 3. Should Weber be exposed to the Kraken?

• No way - He is our captain
    • Yes - He can't live up to his contract anymore

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hockey30 (my favourite French Eklund hockey site) suggests the Habs options at centre are (just being honest about the source of the names I'm throwing out):

TRADE

Christian Dvorak - IMO an excellent option ... won't be cheap but fills a need, and at a reasonable price for four years while KK completes his development (be it for better or for worse) ... Habs either end up with an impressive trio of centres or they have a decent 2C to support Suzuki

Ryan Strome - decent option ... 2yrs @ $4.5M ... 22g/82gm the last three seasons

Dylan Strome - stop-gap option ... 1 yr@$3M

Sam Steel - can't see Ducks moving him ... and no further, maybe less, advanced than KK ... not a fit IMO ... but would love to have him for the longer term

Casey Mittelstadt - can't see Sabres moving him ... more of a building block for them ... would love to have him 

FREE AGENTS

Travis Zajac - one-year stop-gap maybe ... but seems like a "Lou-guy"

Tyler Bozak - one-year stop-gap possibility ... but at the right price

I would also look at:

Adam Heinrique ... Anaheim in rebuild ... 31 yrs old ... 3 yrs @$5.825 ... 55% faceoffs last season ... 23g/82gm last four years ... 10 team NTC an impediment ... perhaps Armia as part of the offer, offsetting some of the cap (Byron would be ideal and if it wouldn't cost too much extra then go for it)

Yanni Gourde ... slim chance ... both because he is a Kraken centre-piece and his full NTC ... but would be ideal

JT Miller ... might cost Gallagher (local hero returns) in a multi-piece deal ... but would be a solid addition IMO

Nazeem Kadri ... unlikely as he is really the Avs only current choice for their 2C ... many put off by his suspensions ... but IMO he would be a fine one-year patch (longer if it works out and he re-signs)

It will be an interesting next few weeks

Great post, thanks. 

Bozak I could see making some sense.

I wondered about a Drouin-Henrique move a while back but the third year on Henrique's contract scared me off.  Even moving Byron to offset the first two years still leaves that third expensive season on the books.  That's almost a guaranteed buyout at that time.

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bozak I could see making some sense.

I wondered about a Drouin-Henrique move a while back but the third year on Henrique's contract scared me off.  Even moving Byron to offset the first two years still leaves that third expensive season on the books.  That's almost a guaranteed buyout at that time.

Agree it is not ideal ... and the third year is a struggle ... especially as the Habs are currently on the hook for 10 players for $56-ish million in 23-24 ... Price and Weber not going anywhere (LTIR only a solution for Shea if Habs are at/near the cap) ... Petry will be 35 🤞 ... and Gallagher may not be a great contract by then, depending on how much of his playoff issues were health related  ... but, I was looking at MB likely wanting to try to do his best to ensure a playoff spot and have a chance in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agree it is not ideal ... and the third year is a struggle ... especially as the Habs are currently on the hook for 10 players for $56-ish million in 23-24 ... Price and Weber not going anywhere (LTIR only a solution for Shea if Habs are at/near the cap) ... Petry will be 35 🤞 ... and Gallagher may not be a great contract by then, depending on how much of his playoff issues were health related  ... but, I was looking at MB likely wanting to try to do his best to ensure a playoff spot and have a chance in the playoffs.

At the point, with the number of wingers we have if Gallagher and Chiarot can get us an offensive dman, we should be all over that.

I wonder if Ekholm is still an option after Nashville traded Ellis.

If we hadn’t just signed Hoffman, I’d even seeing if Karlsson is an option if SJ takes 50% of his cap hit.

if even consider Myers if Vancouver ate some of his contract - not good defensively, but does have some offense and isn’t too slow FOR A big man.

Dunn could have been had fairly cheap b4 the expansion draft.

bottom line is that even before the Weber announcement, MB should have been looking for an offensive dman.  After we he Weber announcement, he should have been shopping before the expansion draft and the regular draft. Could have also avoided the whole 1sy pick fiasco by trading the pick as part of a deal for an impact dman.

If you look at the prices paid during free agency and the moves Yzerman made before free agency and you can see how smart he is and how by that Tampa team is so stacked.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

At the point, with the number of wingers we have if Gallagher and Chiarot can get us an offensive dman, we should be all over that.

I wonder if Ekholm is still an option after Nashville traded Ellis.

If we hadn’t just signed Hoffman, I’d even seeing if Karlsson is an option if SJ takes 50% of his cap hit.

if even consider Myers if Vancouver ate some of his contract - not good defensively, but does have some offense and isn’t too slow FOR A big man.

Dunn could have been had fairly cheap b4 the expansion draft.

bottom line is that even before the Weber announcement, MB should have been looking for an offensive dman.  After we he Weber announcement, he should have been shopping before the expansion draft and the regular draft. Could have also avoided the whole 1sy pick fiasco by trading the pick as part of a deal for an impact dman.

If you look at the prices paid during free agency and the moves Yzerman made before free agency and you can see how smart he is and how by that Tampa team is so stacked.

Looking and signing/acquiring are very different things ... I have no doubt MN}B searched, just didn't find.

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Looking and signing/acquiring are very different things ... I have no doubt MN}B searched, just didn't find.

St. Louis wanted Tarasenko picked, but had to expose Dunn. Pretty sure he could have been had for a pick. Even if it meant exposing Chiarot (who we could have also moved).

I think NSH may have been interested in Gallagher for Ekholm or Ellis (who they moved to Philly)

SJ reportedly wants to move Karlsson (who has a NMC), who wants to win and has been vocal about his dissatisfaction with SJ’s direction. IF and ONLY if, they were willing to eat half of his cap hit, id explore that.

Vancouver is trying to shed salary, Myers might be available cheap. He wouldn’t be my first choice, and isn’t great defensively, but is still a legit NHL dman that can provide offense.

point is that players were available to be had, and they still are. But you have to philosophically be committed to filling needs, rather than bargain hunting.

Sean Burke (as far as I know) remains DIRECTOR of goaltending for the organization as a whole ... there was talk after the season that they would likely look for a goaltender coach to be with the Habs full-time ... looks like he didn't coach last season, but wasn't the only one I am certain

it has been fairly quiet since the UFA singnings, with Lehkonen being the first RFA to sign and Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Leskinen, McNiven and Pezzetta remaining.

I will need to concede that I was wrong they would resign Gustafsson, although I still see a spot for him and the potential for him to complement the team

biggest questions for me are:

1. Who will play backup behind Allen?

2. How refreshed and restored will Drouin be on his return?

3. Will Gallagher need some time to heal from minor surgery or injuries from the playoffs ? He seemed to be beaten up

4. will they improve on Wideman as the backup RHD on the NHL roster?

5. Will Poehling, Norlinder, Brook, and to a lesser degree Belzile or Vejdemo surprise at training camp? Force a trade to make room on the NHL roster?

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it has been fairly quiet since the UFA singnings, with Lehkonen being the first RFA to sign and Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Leskinen, McNiven and Pezzetta remaining.

I will need to concede that I was wrong they would resign Gustafsson, although I still see a spot for him and the potential for him to complement the team

biggest questions for me are:

1. Who will play backup behind Allen?

2. How refreshed and restored will Drouin be on his return?

3. Will Gallagher need some time to heal from minor surgery or injuries from the playoffs ? He seemed to be beaten up

4. will they improve on Wideman as the backup RHD on the NHL roster?

5. Will Poehling, Norlinder, Brook, and to a lesser degree Belzile or Vejdemo surprise at training camp? Force a trade to make room on the NHL roster?

1.  Price was announced as out 10-12 from his July 23rd surgery ... so he is supposed to be back on-ice with Habs somewhere from a couple weeks before the Habs first game to a couple of days after ... Primeau likely will back up until Price completes his own training camp ... trade only needed if Price is out longer

2. Very refreshed, reformed TBD

3. Possibly, but even if he does will he take the full time he should?  ... easy experience makes me think it is unlikely

4. I'm not certain whether Wideman or Kulak is the 7D ... whichever, they need another legit NHL quality D

5. I expect that a trade(s) will be made to add a legit 4/5 defenceman and/or a 2/3C ... OR ... to obtain and/or make room for Eichel (;)) ... not because players are beaten out in training camp ... 

15 hours ago, GHT120 said:

y

4. I'm not certain whether Wideman or Kulak is the 7D ... whichever, they need another legit NHL quality D

Oulette can manage a light load also, not saying he is solid; but nice cheap experienced adequate short term fill in.

I am not too worried about 3rd pairing depth.

Kinda assume are done tinkering on defense, unless one of the $3.5m clydesdales is included in trade deal (which aint happening).

Chiarot in last year of deal; 7pts -18

Edmundson 2yrs younger, 13pts, +28 (Just so wide a disparity in stat is why using, Commandant, thats all!)

If one does happen to be included in trade, just hope would be Chiarot.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Oulette can manage a light load also, not saying he is solid; but nice cheap experienced adequate short term fill in.

Kinda assume are done tinkering on defense, unless one of the $3.5m clydesdales is included in trade deal (which aint happening).

Chiarot in last year of deal; 7pts -18

Edmundson 2yrs younger, 13pts, +28 (Just so wide a disparity in stat is why using, Commandant, thats all!)

If one does happen to be included in trade, just hope would be Chiarot.

Agreed ... Chiarot would be the piece to move ... and while I won't say it is high, his value should be the best it has been after these playoffs.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... Chiarot would be the piece to move ... and while I won't say it is high, his value should be the best it has been after these playoffs.

Absolutely right…but the Habs seem to be in love with Chiarot, so I think it’s at least as likely that they re-sign him as move him. 

5 hours ago, DON said:

I don't expect any more big changes on defense either.  They have a pretty good pool of defense prospects (Guhle, Struble, Harris, Norlinder, Brooks, don't really consider Romanov a prospect anymore).  I don't think any of them will be ready this year but certainly in a couple years.  We likely take a step backward on defense this year until some of these guys are ready. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Absolutely right…but the Habs seem to be in love with Chiarot, so I think it’s at least as likely that they re-sign him as move him. 

Perhaps ... or maybe the plan is to let him go as a UFA after next season to make room for one of the youngsters in 22-23.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Hoping a better offense up front might offset even more plodding defense. 

Think MB is as well.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps ... or maybe the plan is to let him go as a UFA after next season to make room for one of the youngsters in 22-23.

I think that is exactly the plan. They will need guys coming up on ELC's so they can pay the raises that guys like Suzuki/Caulfield will get. 

I have seen reports that KK's father has had cancer surgery (seem to be several Finnish sites reporting it) ... may explain his not being signed ... KK may have other priorities at the moment ... assuming it is true, best wishes to Mikael, Jesperi and the entire family.

EDIT: Journal de Montreal confirms

I think I am ok with the off-season so far. No spectacular signings, but good value addition of older (on the decline) NHLers: Savard, Perrault. Paquette

I do not know about lineup combinations, but I think teh Habs have better scoring depth this year than last. The top 9 (in no particular order) is made of players with a potential of 15-20g Drouin, Suzuki, Caufield, Toffoli, Kotkaniemi, Anderson, Hoffman, Gallagher and maybe even Evans.

The 4th liners are solid defensively and good "energy" players: Armia, Lehkonen, Perrault, Paquette and maybe Poehling or even Belzile. Byron will also fir well in a very good 4th line

No Weise, Weal of Frolik type of player in the Habs forward group. That is a welcome change.

===

Offensive from the defensemen and a solid backup to our backup is the only concern I have, but I am expecting that to be fixed during training camp.

I think I'll stop looking for improbable trades, offer sheet targets or recycling fallen-from-grace players

Happy end-of-summer everyone  ✌️ #peace ✌️

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

The Athletic just bombed our team for 2022. Ranked us 23rd in the league.

Just a reminder that they underdogged us for every round this spring.

I haven’t read it but I am not surprised.

1. No Price for half the season,

2. a questionable top 4 with a good offensive D in Petry buta that is also prone to brain cramps

3. one top-4 D injury away from disaster

4. No signed NHL backup for half the season

5. No proven shutdown center

6. No elite forward

7. only LTIR cap room

I need some strong coffee now to pick me up from writing that... 🥴

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I haven’t read it but I am not surprised.

1. No Price for half the season,

2. a questionable top 4 with a good offensive D in Petry buta that is also prone to brain cramps

3. one top-4 D injury away from disaster

4. No signed NHL backup for half the season

5. No proven shutdown center

6. No elite forward

7. only LTIR cap room

I need some strong coffee now to pick me up from writing that... 🥴

I can help with some of those.  Price won't miss half the season.  The 10-12 week recovery time takes him to early October, not midseason.  He might miss a week or two but unless there's a setback, he'll be ready.  That means that #1 and #4 are already taken care of.

Just going by last season - this is a group built for the playoffs. But the flip-side of that is that they are probably a bubble team in the regular season. It’s hard to play that meat-grinder style for 82 games, and the MVP (Price) certainly can no longer be counted upon to be elite over a regular season. So the assessment makes some sense, even if 23rd overall seems to be unduly pessimistic.

The big X-factor is the subtraction of Weber. Savard is likely a step down even from the damaged, mediocre Weber we saw last season. The loss of Danault is also big, but then again he was pretty “meh” in the regular season too. So between that and the additions, we may reasonably expect a regular season performance along the lines of last year’s. Now if KK (or Suzuki, or Caufield, or Romanov) hit another level, that will change the calculus. 

As of right now we have too many winger's on the team and not enough centers.  Something's got to give.

Toffoli  / Suzuki / Caufield 

Hoffman  / Kotkaniemi  / Gallagher 

Drouin  / Evans  / Anderson 

Lehkonen  /  PAQUETTE  / Armia 

Byron, poehling, PERREAULT

Either that's our lines going into next year or a trade is coming. 

9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

As of right now we have too many winger's on the team and not enough centers.  Something's got to give.

Toffoli  / Suzuki / Caufield 

Hoffman  / Kotkaniemi  / Gallagher 

Drouin  / Evans  / Anderson 

Lehkonen  /  PAQUETTE  / Armia 

Byron, poehling, PERREAULT

Either that's our lines going into next year or a trade is coming. 

That’s a pretty good group down the W, but you’re right about C. The Habs right now seem to be doing exactly what fans always say they want - i.e., give a huge amount of opportunity to young players. Too much. Neither KK nor Evans have put together anything like a consistent NHL season in their careers. And the odds of both just magically flipping a switch and delivering 82 high-quality games next season are not great. Poehling, meanwhile, is a raw rookie. The attempt to make the playoffs could flounder on weakness down the middle.

The only question, to my mind, is whether the Habs go and add a quality veteran C before the season starts, or take a wait-and-see approach leading to a mid-season move.