What do we do with Jonathan Drouin?🤔

Habsfan89

• Habsfan89 changed the title to What do we do with Jonathan Drouin?🤔

LITR him like Kutcherov and keep him off the cap 

it doesn’t cost much to do that , and he could be more valuable to the Habs than anything they get in a trade 

Edited by alfredoh2009

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

it doesn’t cost much to do that , and he could be more valuable to the Habs than anything they get in a trade 

And if he wants to play next year?  LTIR isn't an option then.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

They could save 3.7 in cap space by buying him out.

I'm just saying, if no one wants to take a flyer on him, maybe that's worth considering.

But a player has to be healthy to be bought out.  That's a little-known rule.  Having been gone for all of the last three months with something that qualified him for LTIR, I don't think Drouin is magically going to be ruled healthy in the next three weeks when the buyout window closes.  This isn't a physical injury with a defined timeline, it's more complex than that.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Or, even if he doesn't want to play, if there is no medical reason he can't play then no technically not eligible for LTIR ... although assuming it his is not physical injury/conditiopn it could be hard to contest.

IMO the key in the whole process is something we won't know unless Drouin chooses to share ... why was he out?

From that point, is he medically able to play next season?  ... if he can, does he want to play for the Habs?

Unless Drouin asks for a trade I wonder if Bergevin would move the player that he gave up for Sergachev ... that really shouldn't matter ("do what's best for the club") but human nature is such that it might well.

This is a little more complicated than a normal roster decision.

19 minutes ago, Neech said:

Expose him to Seattle, and if he doesn't get claimed, hope that he can rehabilitate a little value next year.  Untradeable right now and a liability on a good team.

I agree with most of that.

I think he could be a key contributor to a good team, but its not happening in Montreal cause he clearly needs a quieter market.

I think the best think for Drouin is to get out of MTL. He clearly can't handle the pressure. I would leave him unprotected. If Seattle doesn't take him, play him next year and put him in the best situations to shine. ONce he shows that he seems to be back, they you can trade him!

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If he wants to play, then he plays with Suzuki and Caufield.

Toffoli on Danault’s line with Gally and Anderson on the power forward line with KK and Armia

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If he wants to play, then he plays with Suzuki and Caufield.

Toffoli on Danault’s line with Gally and Anderson on the power forward line with KK and Armia

I’d play Anderson with Caufield and Suzuki.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

But a player has to be healthy to be bought out.  That's a little-known rule.  Having been gone for all of the last three months with something that qualified him for LTIR, I don't think Drouin is magically going to be ruled healthy in the next three weeks when the buyout window closes.  This isn't a physical injury with a defined timeline, it's more complex than that.

Thanks for the info, I hadn’t known that! But is it definitively stated in the rule that mental illness is not an injury? Could he be placed on LTIR, for example? If so, then why not a buyout? It might be interesting legal question, whether whatever ails him can be considered an “injury.” For example, if he is suffering from anxiety attacks brought on by stress, in many workplaces that would qualify him for sick leave. Maybe it can be considered a workplace  “injury.” 

Trade him to the Blues for Taraseko contingent on a medical clearness for VT and salary retention by the Blues to match salary. One problem for another.

39 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Trade him to the Blues for Taraseko contingent on a medical clearness for VT and salary retention by the Blues to match salary. One problem for another.

What would we have to add to the deal for the Blues to both receive the worse player and retain salary?

Offer Seattle something to make sure they claim Drouin.  Maybe offer to trade our 2nd rd pick for their 4th if they help us out.  He has to go, and that would be the best case scenario for us IMO because he has such a low trade value.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

..but its not happening in Montreal cause he clearly needs a quieter market.

What is the issue he is dealing with?

10 hours ago, Neech said:

What would we have to add to the deal for the Blues to both receive the worse player and retain salary?

I wonder if Blues would take a chance on Drouin to replace Tarasenko 🤔

To blues

Drouin + Poehling + Kulak +  1st 

To habs

Tarasenko 

Wonder if that would work?

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I wonder if Blues would take a chance on Drouin to replace Tarasenko 🤔

To blues

Drouin + Poehling + Kulak +  1st 

To habs

Tarasenko 

Wonder if that would work?

A7th D, a failed 1st rounder, the second 1st round pick on a year where it is a crapshoot to pick and a player with serious personal issues ?

I’ll make that trade in a second 

50 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I kind of expect Drouin to remain on the LTIR until his contract expires. I don’t think we will see him again 

I am hopeful, I tend to root for lost causes and I hope he comes back

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks for the info, I hadn’t known that! But is it definitively stated in the rule that mental illness is not an injury? Could he be placed on LTIR, for example? If so, then why not a buyout? It might be interesting legal question, whether whatever ails him can be considered an “injury.” For example, if he is suffering from anxiety attacks brought on by stress, in many workplaces that would qualify him for sick leave. Maybe it can be considered a workplace  “injury.” 

He can go on LTIR.  He was put on LTIR this season. 

Its two different issues. 

You can't buy him out now, cause clearly right now, he's not healthy.

Can he be LTIR'd again in October?  Who knows where his health will be at that point?

11 hours ago, Neech said:

Drouin plus our first round pick in 2021. 

I'd do that in a second. 

And I wouldn't even ask for retained salary.