What do we do with Jonathan Drouin?🤔

Habsfan89

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We're not getting anything back in return for him at this point.

I have absolutely zero confidence in Drouin, but we might as well keep him and hope his value appreciates.

Yes we got screwed and I believe we need to accept it and move on. 

Bergevin really screwed this one up. Fortunately Bergevin has done really well with most of his other trades. 

• Like 1

I'm with CC, there is no trade value.  You'd have to give up picks and prospects to get someone to take the contract. 

If he says whatever it was is resolved and he's ready to play, you get him on the ice and see what he can do to rebuild his value. 

Drouin is a 50 point player. He makes foolish passes when he's trying to be too creative, and it drives me nuts, but I feel like he has a place on the team. Sergachev is gone. I'd rather have Serg, but its over. Hopefully JD returns and he's OK and dealing with whatever his issue is. I will welcome his puck movement and creativity.  

• Upvote 3

I’d be happy to have the Drouin of 2 seasons ago before his injury and the first part of last season. 

I, for one, would bet we get the good Drouin. Not so good that we win that trade, but good enough that his contract isn’t an issue (2nd line forward production). 

Yeah, a functional Drouin is a decent #6 FW. My take on him is always the same - he's all right, just do not make the mistake of counting on him in any way. A productive and impactful Drouin should be seen as a bonus rather than a norm. Just accept that it is what it is and move forward.

• Upvote 1

Trade him.

He’ll be dealt in a Domi/Anderson type deal.

Philly for JVR?

StL for Tarasenko?

Buf for Risto?

Cal for Monahan?

Caps for Kuznetsov?

Preds in a package for Ekholm?

Too many teams out there looking to shake things up.. I’d be surprised if Drouin is back.

• Like 2

Drouin no longer has a spot on this team.  He would have been our 15th forward in the finals if healthy.  We were immediately better without him and forged a team identity that he's incapable of being a part of.  Unfortunately, we'll probably have to give him icetime to show he can produce so we can get something for him, but that eventuality can't come soon enough.

Don't trade him.

The Habs were lacking controlled O-zone entries and he can replace a player like Tatar: getting about 50 points a season, but disapearing for stretches of time

Habs can focus in getting a top RD to replace Weber. The team is almost intact from last season, except for Weber of course: Why trading for someone that may turn out to be as frustrating as Drouin when he i snot playing well? Specually since he seems to respond well to Dom ?!

As pointed out he has no trade value.  I think even Drouin for Tarasenko straight across wouldn’t fly.  I wouldn’t want Tarasenko’s contract so it would have to be retained salary to even the cap hits, but this will never happen.

At this point, with Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield looking very solid, Drouin has a place with Toffoli and KK.  His creativeness and passing may work well for those 2.  I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could kick them in their own zone though.  

Could even use him until the deadline, hopefully gain some value, and trade him at the deadline.

12 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

As pointed out he has no trade value.  I think even Drouin for Tarasenko straight across wouldn’t fly.  I wouldn’t want Tarasenko’s contract so it would have to be retained salary to even the cap hits, but this will never happen.

At this point, with Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield looking very solid, Drouin has a place with Toffoli and KK.  His creativeness and passing may work well for those 2.  I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could kick them in their own zone though.  

Could even use him until the deadline, hopefully gain some value, and trade him at the deadline.

Anderson didn't play much with Suzuki and Caufield.  What did they get, 3 games?  Toffoli was there most of the playoffs.

With Tatar gone, and likely Danault too... you have Gallagher needing a line. 

I don't think anything is set in stone yet as for what combos play together.   I mean you probably have a duo in Caufield-Suzuki, but what happens at their LW, who goes with KK, where Drouin, Toffoli and Anderson go, etc... its all up in the air. 

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher

Byron - new centre - Anderson

Lehkonen - Evans - Poehling

ex: Perry

would be my lineup to start, but its pretty fluid.

50 minutes ago, Neech said:

Drouin no longer has a spot on this team.  He would have been our 15th forward in the finals if healthy.  We were immediately better without him and forged a team identity that he's incapable of being a part of.  Unfortunately, we'll probably have to give him icetime to show he can produce so we can get something for him, but that eventuality can't come soon enough.

Their awful finish to the season contradicts that he made the team better when he left. We have no idea how Drouin would have responded in the playoffs to playing a very specific role like the rest of the team did. He is a frustrating player so we assume that he'd have been shuffled to the press box like Tatar. But we don't know that. They certainly could have used his skill instead of relying on Lehkonen and Byron for offense. The PP desperately needed a left shooting forward to play opposite Caufield. This team has a huge need for a player like Drouin and now that he seems to have gotten his life in order, maybe will will begin to see the player Tampa drafted so high. 

• Upvote 2

As was pointed out by Bergevin today.

Drouin played his best hockey when Ducharme first took over.  That lasted about a month and then he fell off.  Bergevin said there were reasons why his game fell off but didn't elaborate. Now those issues are dealt with and they hope he plays well under Ducharme again.

Ducharme and Drouin have a really good relationship.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

It's strange how we still don't know what happened to him.  I wonder when Jo will address the media.

That's really the NHL of today. There are no details provided about most player injuries. And given that all they are willing to say is "upper-body injury" or "lower-body injury", this is totally unsurprising.

18 minutes ago, Neech said:

I've been saying this for years, so hey, what's another year of saying it!

I have never really believed that we would see it, even at the time of the trade. But if he's been fighting issues all this time that he's finally addressed, maybe we actually will see another side of him.  Maybe he's grown up and I will think differently of him that the kid that threw a fit over being demoted.

If they trade him and are able to acquire a top 6 forward without hampering replacing Weber, that's fine. But let's not ship him out for nothing just to be rid of him. He's not so bad that that would be addition by subtraction.

His issues in Tampa were five years ago. I really do believe he has matured, there have been no personality or behavioural issues with the Habs, at least not that I am aware of.

I am happy to hear he is better ... hopefully his issues are resolved ... and, absent any official announcement, as they apparently were not physical in nature, I don't feel any need to know the details ... mental or psychological health is highly personal.

As for next season, for some reason I can see him with Caufield and Suzuki ... such a line might lack a pure "dirty work" element but it would allow Drouin to emphasize his strength, playmaking, alongside two legit scorers ... focus on the other two might facilitate his own goal scoring ... and having another solid shootout option can't hurt.

We need Drouin’s play making abilities for sure. 

I simply see a potential disaster coming and I hope I’m wrong. Even more so if this was indeed about Montreal pressure. 

2 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Trade him.

He’ll be dealt in a Domi/Anderson type deal.

Philly for JVR?

StL for Tarasenko?

Buf for Risto?

Cal for Monahan?

Caps for Kuznetsov?

Preds in a package for Ekholm?

Too many teams out there looking to shake things up.. I’d be surprised if Drouin is back.

A deal like this makes sense 

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Their awful finish to the season contradicts that he made the team better when he left. We have no idea how Drouin would have responded in the playoffs to playing a very specific role like the rest of the team did. He is a frustrating player so we assume that he'd have been shuffled to the press box like Tatar. But we don't know that. They certainly could have used his skill instead of relying on Lehkonen and Byron for offense. The PP desperately needed a left shooting forward to play opposite Caufield. This team has a huge need for a player like Drouin and now that he seems to have gotten his life in order, maybe will will begin to see the player Tampa drafted so high. 

Drouin doesn’t shoot enough to be a good lefty across from Caufield.  It’s been one of my biggest gripes about the PP forever.  I can’t remember the last time the Habs have had a lefty that will shoot.  Everything gets funnelled to the right side and shot.  It makes the PP predictable.

In this respect, Tarasenko would be invaluable on the PP.  A shooting lefty to open the PP, causing more space on the dangerous right side.

45 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Drouin doesn’t shoot enough to be a good lefty across from Caufield.  It’s been one of my biggest gripes about the PP forever.  I can’t remember the last time the Habs have had a lefty that will shoot.  Everything gets funnelled to the right side and shot.  It makes the PP predictable.

In this respect, Tarasenko would be invaluable on the PP.  A shooting lefty to open the PP, causing more space on the dangerous right side.

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson/Caufield would be my 2nd line. Anderson (or Caufield) would get plenty of passes to snipe a goal. All on the line are fast. Suzuki has gained confidence in his shot and would be a threat. Drouin would a great complement to this line

Drouin had an excellent wrist shot, before he injured his harm/wrist. He was never the same after that and IMHO may have fallen to substance abuse (pain killers) due to that injury

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson/Caufield would be my 2nd line. Anderson (or Caufield) would get plenty of passes to snipe a goal. All on the line are fast. Suzuki has gained confidence in his shot and would be a threat. Drouin would a great complement to this line

Drouin had an excellent wrist shot, before he injured his harm/wrist. He was never the same after that and IMHO may have fallen to substance abuse (pain killers) due to that injury

Not to get in to line numbering, but what is your 1st line?

5 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

He's not so bad that that would be addition by subtraction.

He kind of is, though.  We don't go on that finals run with a passenger like Drouin.  He's a liability to any line he's on.  He can provide some points sometimes, but otherwise he'll reliably make weak and bone-headed plays.