What do we do with Jonathan Drouin?🤔

Habsfan89

38 minutes ago, Neech said:

He kind of is, though.  We don't go on that finals run with a passenger like Drouin.  He's a liability to any line he's on.  He can provide some points sometimes, but otherwise he'll reliably make weak and bone-headed plays.

I’d like to take you back to 2015-2016 where Jonathan Drouin single handedly dominated the eventual cup champions (Pittsburgh) in the conference finals.

That year, the Tampa Bay Lightning took Pittsburgh to 7 games in the conference finals. In Game 7, Pittsburgh won 2-1 against Tampa. Who scored the lone Tampa  goal in Game 7? Jonathan Drouin. 

Pittsburgh eventually went on to beat San Jose in the final, and judging by Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau’s career, it’s safe to assume that Tampa Bay would have a cup if the rest of Drouin’s team showed up.

Take a look at that 2015-2016 playoff bracket as well as the game 7 score sheet, and you may learn a thing or two.

This wasn’t only a statistical thing as well. I remember from the eye test, Drouin was better than Crosby during that series. 

In the end, this is coming from someone who disliked the Sergachev trade after defending the Weber trade. I wanted Sergachev to fill in for Markov. 

With that being said, it is an entirely false assumption to say that we wouldn’t have made the final if Drouin was with the squad.

27 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

... With that being said, it is an entirely false assumption to say that we wouldn’t have made the final if Drouin was with the squad.

Unless you are someone who just don't like Drouin the player (for whatever reason) ... I'll admit he can be a frustrating player ... he has tremendous skills and, the dreaded word, potential to do more than he has delivered ... but I'll be happy to see him back and have the chance to prove doubters wrong.

• Like 1

Drouin has played in the playoffs twice.  He wasnt a liability in the 2020 playoffs... nor was he in liabilty in the 2016 playoffs in Tampa.

In fact, in both years he was one of the best players on his team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If his issue is the media/fan pressure in Montreal then how is it going to be different this time? 

Habs struggle, Drouin struggles, the pressure will mount again. 

We expect that Drouin will simply handle it better now? Very, very, very unlikely. 

Who said his issues were fan/media related? As it’s really likely that this wasn’t the issue.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Who said his issues were fan/media related? As it’s really likely that this wasn’t the issue.

Its true that nobody knows and the pressure of Montreal idea is born of rumours and speculation so it may be all bunk. 

It just fits the same thinking about himself that he displayed in Tampa  

Woe is me, unfair, how dare they, etc. 

I have my doubts that he will be back - even if Bergevin said that he expects him to be at training camp - regardless of what the real issue is. 

Its true that nobody knows and the pressure of Montreal idea is born of rumours and speculation so it may be all bunk. 

I have my doubts that he will be back - even if Bergevin said that he expects him to be at training camp - regardless of what the real issue is. 

I do not agree with you on this, he would not have signed those TV add deals if he was sensitive about media/fan pressure

he has been very good on interviews and well spoken on open lines, for the most part he has always given straight answers and never shied away from the questions. At worst, he has snipped back and lost patience but still has answered the questions.

===

IMHO it is painkiller abuse after the wrist injury. He complained that he was not the same after that in a few interviews, and that is when he fell off

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not agree with you on this, he would not have signed those TV add deals if he was sensitive about media/fan pressure

he has been very good on interviews and well spoken on open lines, for the most part he has always given straight answers and never shied away from the questions. At worst, he has snipped back and lost patience but still has answered the questions.

===

IMHO it is painkiller abuse after the wrist injury. He complained that he was not the same after that in a few interviews, and that is when he fell off

You may be 100% correct and if he has overcome his issues then that is great. 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

You may be 100% correct and if he has overcome his issues then that is great. 

:spamafote: I really don't know, but based on what I've read, seen and heard, that is my best guess  :spamafote:

Wasnt 100% of talking done by his agent in Tampa and was all about playing time or not being sent to AHL or something like that and Drouin didnt say anything?

46 minutes ago, DON said:

Wasnt 100% of talking done by his agent in Tampa and was all about playing time or not being sent to AHL or something like that and Drouin didnt say anything?

Also totally plausible. 

Again, everything I have said is born of rumours and speculation. I want nothing more than for the person Drouin to have a healthy and happy life. 

If Drouin is back to being a functional pro again, that is good news for him on a human level, and good news for the Habs in that it gives them another option up front.

I have to chuckle ruefully at our tendency to cling to fantasies that he will suddenly become an impact player. The guy is going into his 7th year as an NHLer. He has repeatedly been given massive opportunity and failed to do anything important with it. There will be no miraculous transformation. He’s a #6 FW who occasionally looks better than that: like Andrei Kostitsyn or Stephane Richer after his 50-goal seasons ended. Folks need to move past denial and bargaining to acceptance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... IMHO it is painkiller abuse after the wrist injury. He complained that he was not the same after that in a few interviews, and that is when he fell off

You may or my not be correct ... I certainly have no idea ... you may even have some sort of inside information, or perhaps believe that you do ... but IMHO it is inappropriate to speculate about that, or any other specific psychological or mental health condition, being the issue ...I feel those are all very private matters that it is up to Drouin to decide whether or not to share ... all that matters is that (a) he is better and (b) how he performs once he returns to the ice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

You may or my not be correct ... I certainly have no idea ... you may even have some sort of inside information, or perhaps believe that you do ... but IMHO it is inappropriate to speculate about that, or any other specific psychological or mental health condition, being the issue ...I feel those are all very private matters that it is up to Drouin to decide whether or not to share ... all that matters is that (a) he is better and (b) how he performs once he returns to the ice.

Agreed 100%

What the issue is, is irrelevant so long as we can accept Bergevin's word that it is dealt with and he is doing well.

It depends on your definition of impact player but I would define Drouin as a useful player. I am also not going to shy away from the argument that he can be an impact player. Because I’ve seen him be one before. It has nothing to do with expectations but he could definitely get hot during the right time, and he has before. 

If anything the only time Drouin and reliable come up in a conversation, is simply when someone is bringing up out of thin air that Drouin can’t be relied upon. There’s no one here that’s really arguing the other side. Domi can’t be relied upon either, but he once had a heck of a year. The same can be said for anyone. Tatar was our leading scorer one year, and then a healthy scratch in the playoffs the next. So it’s not like it can be argued that this is some sort of “Drouin gene” that we are discussing. I wish the best for Toffoli, but we’ll see if he can keep things up as well. I could also discuss Anderson and some of his ugly statistics throughout his career.

• Upvote 2

Was the wrist injury from the Ovechkin hit? I remember that being a massive hit and Drouin never quite looked the same to my untrained eye. (I know he played well under Ducharme, but still, didn't seem like the same player.)

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems like Drouin might be a good set up guy for Caufield.

I mentioned that elsewhere ... Suzuki and Caufield both are dangerous shooters and can get shots off quickly if someone gets them the puck in the right spot ... worth a try IMO.

13 minutes ago, huzer said:

Was the wrist injury from the Ovechkin hit? I remember that being a massive hit and Drouin never quite looked the same to my untrained eye. (I know he played well under Ducharme, but still, didn't seem like the same player.)

Yup

He was out for like 2 months and then when he came back didn't look right. 

He was good in the playoff bublle after that though and good last season under ducharme.

• Like 1

At this point, I think it's clear the Habs lost the Sergachev/Drouin trade. JD hasn't lived up to the hype. I hope everything is good with him, but I think the best thing is to put him in the best position to shine at the start of next season and trade him when his value is highest.

I don't have anything against Drouin, but this Stanley Cup run has proved to me that the Habs don't need Drouin. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I don't have anything against Drouin, but this Stanley Cup run has proved to me that the Habs don't need Drouin. 

The playoff run proved that the Habs could compete in the playoffs without Drouin, yes.

But it did not prove a thing about whether the Habs would have been a better or worse team with Drouin. Might they have won another game or two against the Lightning? We'll never know.

• Like 2

I think it'll be great to have Drouin back and give us all an opportunity to be great fans with lots of support. I hope he stays with the Habs. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, Habsfan said:

Habs lost, so need something else obviously and whose to say he wouldnt of helped.

• Like 1

• Like 1