Jump to content

What do we do with Jonathan Drouin?🤔


 Share

Recommended Posts

The first 50 seconds or so is an extract from the TVA interview to air tonight (8:00 pm) ... as many have speculated and reported it is an anxiety disorder.

 

 

A short extract from the RDS interview to air tonight (7:30 pm) in which he says he sometimes went three nights without sleeping

 

I am eager, and optimistic, to see how he does this season ... anxiety/stress can have an incredible impact on one's life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well written article comparing Drouin's recent episode to what Richer lived +/- 30 years ago

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting - akin to the Richer case, but this time we have a much better understanding of anxiety as a disorder and better options for treatment. Maybe JD can start fulfilling his potential in a way that Richer was unable to do. One can hope, anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Very interesting - akin to the Richer case, but this time we have a much better understanding of anxiety as a disorder and better options for treatment. Maybe JD can start fulfilling his potential in a way that Richer was unable to do. One can hope, anyway.

I hope so, I will he happy for him if he becomes a 25g 30a winger that plays consistently at both ends of the ice and can play on the second unit of the PP. Just to say that he has found some stability.

 

Anything more than that is a win for the Habs.

Edited by alfredoh2009
lower the assists
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope so, I will he happy for him if he becomes a 25g 30a winger that plays consistently at both ends of the ice and can play on the second unit of the PP. Just to say that he has found some stability.

 

Anything more than that is a win for the Habs.

 

Even that is a win, I'd say.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 points is a top-80 forward in the NHL, so a first-line winger on many teams, so that would indeed be good.

 

And Drouin has already been in that range twice, scoring 53 points in 2016-17 (21+32 in Tampa) and 2018-19 (18+35 for the Habs). It should certainly be possible as long as he is playing on one of the top two lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always suspected that whatever he was going through is probably not a new or recent issue.  i.e. it has likely affected his play throughout his entire career.  It's sorta unarguable that he has under performed for the talent he has, he should be able to put up more points.  Hopefully, if he's got it under control now that he can finally become the player we all hoped he would be. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Explains his similar leave of absence in Halifax. 

Imagine if he finally explodes? He is the guy I hope feeds Cole 50 goals as a rookie. 

One can hope. Just so glad he took the time to get it in order. He was dishing out some beautiful feeds last season for a stretch. He is the playmaker we need. Hope he can keep it together.

 

Mental illness is real I have many people in my life dealing with different forms. Can't say I am totally sane myself lol.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Mental illness is real I have many people in my life dealing with different forms. Can't say I am totally sane myself lol.

 

 

Good post

 

I truly believe that no one is 100% sane or 100% normal.  We all have issues. 

 

Of course some of us have worse issues than others and mental illness is real.  I'm glad Drouin is getting help. 
 

The fact that we all have issues though is a good reason why no one should look down on those who have more serious issues.  None of us is perfect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just watched the interview with Chantal Machabee and I was pleased. Unless someone suffers from depression or anxiety, it's very difficult to wrap your head around what goes on in someone's mind. And even then, not two individuals are the same. I cannot imagine spending 2-3 nights without sleep and go play a hockey game, even less so at that level... sometimes 3 games in 4 nights! 

 

You know that whole BellLetsTalk day, the so-called progress this society is making about mental health and the importance of acknowledging it and being kind and understanding? We'll see who takes it to heart and who is just giving lip service to "look good" on that day.

 

I, for one, will be 100% behind Drouin this season, hoping he lives up to his great talent but mostly, that he stays healthy both mentally and physically. And I know that a vast majority of Habs' fans are with me on that and those are the people that matter.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As mentioned by many, I will

be rooting for him and have always enjoyed seeing him play up to his potential (in spurts albeit).

Reinforces (to me) that he will be best served by playing a lower expectation role than being top 6, let him focus on personal goals rather than public pressure of being in a highly visible, high expectation position.   There is no room for error this season and there is no shortage of skilled wingers to shelter him.    
Wishing the best for him, but what is best for him and best for the team may not align as they’ve now got another massive contract in the bottom 6.   
What type of ongoing support, treatment will there be for him? Is it reasonable to expect him to produce even close to what is expected given he makes $5.5 million/season?   
This sounds cold, but professional sports is not forgiving, is results oriented.

Regardless of the reason, if he cannot play and perform to the level required,  it may be best to retire. I do not see how he overcomes this under the microscope of NHL in Mtl and just like a physical injury I do not think it’s appropriate to expect him to come back and play through it, it isn’t like he is “healed”, this will be a life long battle for him. 
I think this should qualify for LTIR to give him and the team the time needed to properly heal, assess, regain form.

I doubt he will make it though the season, I hope he does and again hope for the best for him.   As a human, I do not want him to suffer, I hope he rediscovers the joy he refers to.

I do not think repeating the cycle of pressure, travel, expectations of NHL life is conducive to that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

As mentioned by many, I will

be rooting for him and have always enjoyed seeing him play up to his potential (in spurts albeit).

Reinforces (to me) that he will be best served by playing a lower expectation role than being top 6, let him focus on personal goals rather than public pressure of being in a highly visible, high expectation position.   There is no room for error this season and there is no shortage of skilled wingers to shelter him.    
Wishing the best for him, but what is best for him and best for the team may not align as they’ve now got another massive contract in the bottom 6.   
What type of ongoing support, treatment will there be for him? Is it reasonable to expect him to produce even close to what is expected given he makes $5.5 million/season?   
This sounds cold, but professional sports is not forgiving, is results oriented.

Regardless of the reason, if he cannot play and perform to the level required,  it may be best to retire. I do not see how he overcomes this under the microscope of NHL in Mtl and just like a physical injury I do not think it’s appropriate to expect him to come back and play through it, it isn’t like he is “healed”, this will be a life long battle for him. 
I think this should qualify for LTIR to give him and the team the time needed to properly heal, assess, regain form.

I doubt he will make it though the season, I hope he does and again hope for the best for him.   As a human, I do not want him to suffer, I hope he rediscovers the joy he refers to.

I do not think repeating the cycle of pressure, travel, expectations of NHL life is conducive to that.

 

 

How about we wait and see how he does before we talk LTIR and retirement ... this is the first time he has sought any help and expect that the support he received last spring, this summer will continue into the season ... don't disagree that professional sports are a production-based environment ... but speculating on what happens if he fails seems counterproductive ... also ... LTIR is for those unable to play ... lack of production is not a reason for LTIR unless Jonathan were to again decide he was unable to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...