2021 Habs Free Agents: Who goes? Who stays? What's the price?

Trizzak

The other thing in going back to the normal schedule means we still get to play San Jose and Anaheim twice and Columbus three times and these other rebuilding teams... and only play the Sens, Buffalo etc... 4 times instead of 8. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Drouin is really good at it too.  Mete was good ...

Mete's PP time went from 1:24/gm in the Habs' "glorious" 17/18 season that was VM's rookie year, to 0:19 to 0:04 to 0:05 ... personally don't recall him being good running the PP.

56 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We spent years watching the Leafs do this (2006-2015).  The team plays like crap, is eliminated from the playoffs and then plays well. 

I want to see more from the Sens before I believe in them ...

Hope it didn't read like I was overselling them ... just think that are no longer in the Buffalo/Detroit tier of teams.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

We spent years watching the Leafs do this (2006-2015).  The team plays like crap, is eliminated from the playoffs and then plays well. 

I want to see more from the Sens before I believe in them. 

Matt Murray is their number one goalie. 

Josh Norris and a bunch of question marks are their centre depth. 

The Defence has Victor Mete in their top 4.... with Chabot, Zub and Brannstrom.

So a team with question marks in goal, at centre and on D, is going to be good in games that count?  I have serious doubts.

I mean there are competitive teams who have questions at one of the three spots, but all three and expect the rest of the lineup to carry them? I just don't see it. 

I was more worried about the Sens BEFORE they hired Pierre McGuire. 

he isn’t an analytics guy - heavily leans on the eye test according to an Athletic article last week. 

Of course it takes both, but Dorion has the team on the brink of relevant again - the Sens were strong for the last half of last season … but if McGuire is either GM in waiting or Dorion’s new boss, the Sens will take a step backwards imho. 

The other thing in going back to the normal schedule means we still get to play San Jose and Anaheim twice and Columbus three times and these other rebuilding teams... and only play the Sens, Buffalo etc... 4 times instead of 8. 

Yeah, but Tampa, Boston, Toronto, and Florida all get to play those same teams next year.

37 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, but Tampa, Boston, Toronto, and Florida all get to play those same teams next year.

Of course they do. 

We probably need to beat out one of them to get in the playoffs (unless our division gets both wildcards). 

My target is boston.  Tuukka rask is gonna miss half the season.  Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand are aging.  McAvoy is a legit Norris contender but I don't like the defence after him.  There is no legit young centre in the pipeline. The Bruins are going to fall off soon.  It might be 2 years away still, but I can hope its sooner than that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Montreal was so heavily sheltering him that 84.2% of his time on the ice was starting a shift with a faceoff in the offensive zone.

Without digging up the numbers again ... wasn't that 84% number for faceoffs in the offensive zone? He did also start a large number of shifts on the fly, with no faceoff, where it's difficult to judge (by the numbers) where the play was when he jumped on the ice.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Without digging up the numbers again ... wasn't that 84% number for faceoffs in the offensive zone? He did also start a large number of shifts on the fly, with no faceoff, where it's difficult to judge (by the numbers) where the play was when he jumped on the ice.

Yes, thats only on faceoffs. 

However, almost all changes on the fly are done with the puck in the offensive zone, especially for defenceman. 

If he (or any dman) is regularly coming on the ice with the puck in our end of the rink, there is a big problem on those changes.

• Like 1

Of course they do. 

We probably need to beat out one of them to get in the playoffs (unless our division gets both wildcards). 

My target is boston.  Tuukka rask is gonna miss half the season.  Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand are aging.  McAvoy is a legit Norris contender but I don't like the defence after him.  There is no legit young centre in the pipeline. The Bruins are going to fall off soon.  It might be 2 years away still, but I can hope its sooner than that.

Boston has the advantage that UFA’s generally want to play for them or NY. At least this year, there is zero chance that the best UFA dman Hamilton would pick Boston.  I’d say even without Rask they should be able to make the playoffs the next two years.

54 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I would once again like to express my shock that Lehkonen didn't accept his qualifying offer immediately. Unless he thinks he can get more in arbitration...

Or wants to see what the roster looks like in a few days ... hope that he will have more leverage to get a better contract from the Habs ... or hopes for an offer sheet?

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

I would once again like to express my shock that Lehkonen didn't accept his qualifying offer immediately. Unless he thinks he can get more in arbitration...

He may be looking for term, knowing his NHL days are numbered given his lack of scoring and style of play

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

No reason for him to accept his qualifier.  If he files, there is enough precedent for him to land more than $2.2M in a hearing.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He may be looking for term, knowing his NHL days are numbered given his lack of scoring and style of play

Lehkonen will play his entire career in the NHL. 4th liner min salary maybe but I would bet on it. He is too good defensively.

35 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Lehkonen will play his entire career in the NHL. 4th liner min salary maybe but I would bet on it. He is too good defensively.

Lehkonen we kinda know what offense he will bring after 330gms.

0.36pt/gm reg season (29.5pt/82)

0.36pt/gm playoffs

But did just turn 26 and i wouldnt mind seeing him sign with Habs.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:51 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would really hate to lose either Lehkonen or Armia. Hope we can keep 'em both.

It appears that you have your wish, since Armia has signed and Lehkonen got a qualifying offer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 9:49 PM, Trizzak said:

UFAs:

Corey Perry

Joel Armia - re-signed for 4 years, 3.4 AAV

Philip Danault

Eric Staal

Tomas Tatar

John Merrill

Erik Gustafsson

Michael  Frolik

Jordan Weal (signed in KHL)

Alex Belzile - re-signed 1 year, two way deal

Gustav Olofsson

Charlie Lindgren

RFAs (* arbitration eligible):

Artturi Lehkonen* (QO received)

Jesperi Kotkaniemi (QO received)

Joseph Blandisi*

Michael Pezzetta (QO received)

Ryan Poehling (QO received)

Jacob Lucchini* - resigned 1 year AHL deal

Otto Leskinen* (signed in Europe)(QO received)

Cale Fleury (Expansion Draft Fodder)

Michael McNiven* (QO received)

I will keep this list updated as signings happen.

UFAs:

Corey Perry  - signed with TBL

Joel Armia - re-signed

Philip Danault - signed with LAK

Eric Staal - remains unsigned on 15-Aug-2021

Tomas Tatar - signed with NJD

John Merrill - signed with MIN

Erik Gustafsson - remains unsigned on 15-Aug-2021

Michael  Frolik - remains unsigned on 15-Aug-2021

Jordan Weal (signed in KHL)

Alex Belzile - re-signed

Gustav Olafsson - remains unsigned on 15-Aug-2021

Charlie Lindgren - signed with STL

RFAs (* arbitration eligible):

Artturi Lehkonen - re-signed

Jesperi Kotkaniemi (QO received)

Joseph Blandisi - remains unsigned on 15-Aug-2021

Michael Pezzetta - re-signed

Ryan Poehling (QO received)

Jacob Lucchin - re-signed

Otto Leskinen - signed in Europe

Cale Fleury - Lost to expansion Draft Fodder

Michael McNiven - re-signed

All I know for sure is that the arbitrator decides on one year terms, so I guess that means yes to your question 

I am not sure if the arbitration ruling is binding 

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

All I know for sure is that the arbitrator decides on one year terms, so I guess that means yes to your question 

Seemed to recall that an arbitrator can award a two-year deal so "Googled" it ... according to CapFriendly:

• Arbitration Ruling:
    • Player & Club can settle on a deal at any point prior to the official ruling
    • Once the hearing has taken place, the Salary Arbitration decision must be issued by email within
      48 hrs of the closing [CBA 12.9(n)(i)]
    • Arbitration awards can only be 1 or 2 years in length [CBA 12.10(a)&(b)]
    • The party (Player or Club) who did not elect for Arbitration decides on the awarded term [CBA 12.10(a)&(b)]
    • Players who are in their final year Restricted Free Agency are only entitled to a 1 year term.
    • Club cannot walk away from a Club elected Arbitration Settlement [CBA 12.10(e)]
    • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]
    • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1 [CBA 12.10(b)]

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Seemed to recall that an arbitrator can award a two-year deal so "Googled" it ... according to CapFriendly:

• Arbitration Ruling:
    • Player & Club can settle on a deal at any point prior to the official ruling
    • Once the hearing has taken place, the Salary Arbitration decision must be issued by email within
      48 hrs of the closing [CBA 12.9(n)(i)]
    • Arbitration awards can only be 1 or 2 years in length [CBA 12.10(a)&(b)]
    • The party (Player or Club) who did not elect for Arbitration decides on the awarded term [CBA 12.10(a)&(b)]
    • Players who are in their final year Restricted Free Agency are only entitled to a 1 year term.
    • Club cannot walk away from a Club elected Arbitration Settlement [CBA 12.10(e)]
    • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]
    • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1 [CBA 12.10(b)]

I had read that, but do not understand the lawyer-speak and I still don't know if it is binding

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Qualifying offers are typically for a single season, are they not? Are Kotkaniemi and Poehling looking for longer term? Or more money?

In Kotkaniemi's case, he's clearly looking for more money; all they had to offer was $874,125 on a one-way term.  He'll get a lot more than that and everyone knows it; the QO is merely a procedural offer.

Poehling's offer was $874,125 with a $70,000 AHL salary.  At this point, the negotiation is likely on getting him to take less than the qualifier for a higher AHL salary or a two-year deal similar to the one that Evans is on.

Worth noting based on the recent replies, neither of these players are arbitration-eligible.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The arbitrator doesn't decide the term of the contract.  The party that is filed upon does.  For example, if a player takes a team to arbitration, the team chooses between a one-year or two-year award (unless the player is a year away from UFA eligibility in which case it has to be a one-year deal).

If a player takes a team to arbitration, the team has walkaway rights as long as the AAV is over a certain amount.  It varies with the cap and average salary and is at $4,538,958.

If a team takes a player to arbitration, there are no walkaway rights.

Other than potential walkaway rights, the award is binding.