2021 NHL Offseason

Trizzak

56 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Well if the job only requires knowing every player's birth city and school they attended, he should be fine.

Im actually very curious how he does. He certainly is loudly opinionated and presents himself as extremely knowledgeable. While fans far and wide kind of dismiss him as a blow hard. 

Maybe this kick starts his career - Habs GM in 2029?

26 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

LOL

Edmonton cap hell continues?

Edmonton's philosophy appears to be relying on winning the draft lottery to acquire generational players, then make absolutely no intelligent moves thereafter,

2 hours ago, huzer said:

A lot of that will depend on if Toews and his $10.5M cap hit is back off LTIR next season. 

He's already said he's back.

Regardless, Chicago has a ton of cap space even if he is back. 

This deal is so stupid for edmonton. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Im actually very curious how he does. He certainly is loudly opinionated and presents himself as extremely knowledgeable. While fans far and wide kind of dismiss him as a blow hard. 

To me this signals that Dorion is on the hotseat and McGuire could be GM in 2022

Just now, Commandant said:

To me this signals that Dorion is on the hotseat and McGuire could be GM in 2022

My first thought as well ... interesting that Pierre is going in as Senior Vice-President while the only title I can find for Dorion is General Manager ... wonder who reports to who?   ... on TSN 690 McGuire spoke of being contacted by owner Eugene Melnyk and discussions with him leading to a job offer ... spoke of working closely with Dorion and having had good talks with Dorion ... no mention of PD being involved in the hire.

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Well if the job only requires knowing every player's birth city and school they attended, he should be fine.

Unless; h’s First Nations, than he’ll be referred to being off the reservation 🙄

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Don’t even joke about that!!

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's already said he's back.

Regardless, Chicago has a ton of cap space even if he is back. 

This deal is so stupid for edmonton. 

It's definitely a high risk desperation move for Edmonton. It's a lot of cap space to use up for an aging 37 year old defenceman. It's a great trade for a rebuilding Chicago team. I definitely see them going after Seth Jones now. 

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's definitely a high risk desperation move for Edmonton. It's a lot of cap space to use up for an aging 37 year old defenceman. It's a great trade for a rebuilding Chicago team. I definitely see them going after Seth Jones now. 

38th birthday in 3 days and has been a disaster on defence for 3 years.

Parise and Suter bought out in Minnesota.

Suter is still good.  I wouldnt mind re-uniting him with Weber if he takes a cheap deal (and given that Minnesota is gonna pay him hes probably taking a cheap deal somewhere, though likely not us).

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Suter is still good.  I wouldnt mind re-uniting him with Weber if he takes a cheap deal (and given that Minnesota is gonna pay him hes probably taking a cheap deal somewhere, though likely not us).

That would work for me

Short term and on a cap-friendly deal, absolutely.

I notice his numbers dropped off last year...without knowing anything more about it, I would be a bit concerned that at his age, his play is heading over a cliff.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Short term and on a cap-friendly deal, absolutely.

I notice his numbers dropped off last year...without knowing anything more about it, I would be a bit concerned that at his age, his play is heading over a cliff.

https://thehockeywriters.com/wilds-suter-age-no-factor-2021-playoffs/

you have to be careful overpaying for Suter, and he's not going to lead the league in minutes played averaging 25 a night as he did for a few years after signing in Minnesota. 

But he's still a 20 minute a game, top 4 defenceman.  He also moves the puck very well. Maybe not as an elite PP guy, but in the start the transition game type guy and push the play up the ice, he can do it. 

He also has the ability to take his game to another level in the playoffs for a couple months, like Weber did. 

To me, he's left-handed Petry basically and I'd absolutely give him a 1 or 2 year deal.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

you have to be careful overpaying for Suter, and he's not going to lead the league in minutes played averaging 25 a night as he did for a few years after signing in Minnesota. 

But he's still a 20 minute a game, top 4 defenceman.  He also moves the puck very well. Maybe not as an elite PP guy, but in the start the transition game type guy and push the play up the ice, he can do it. 

He also has the ability to take his game to another level in the playoffs for a couple months, like Weber did. 

To me, he's left-handed Petry basically and I'd absolutely give him a 1 or 2 year deal.

🙃 You mean "good Petry", right?!

Not that variant that pops-up every now and then to cost us a game. 😁

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

At the right AAV he could shore up the defence for a year while Habs see more of Norlinder, Guhle, Harris and Struble's development ... especially if Chiarot of Edmondson were to become a Kraken. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Parise and Suter bought out in Minnesota...

Praise is one season from 25 goals in 69 games ... expect NYI (Lou) may well call ... also a perfect fit in Toronto, veteran without a Stanley Cup.

Agree with those saying that Suter would look awfully good on a team with a 1-3 year window. It will be interesting to see what kind of money he will look for and get, given that he's getting all that money from Minnesota still. Might he see Montreal as a place where it is worth taking less to go for a Cup?

Parise seemed to hit the wall this year, so I don't think I would pursue him as a replacement for Drouin, assuming Drouin is gone. Or even as scoring depth.

19 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

looking at what some predict will be their protection list (8-1)

McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Keith, Nurse, Klefborn, Bear and a goalie. It is a lot of salary cap and it is puzzling that they prefer to trade for Keith instead of resigning and protecting Barrie which despite his warts may be a better option than Keith

But it is not as bad as it may look, with some good D prospects in Bouchard and Broberg still there and Keith maybe helping the EDM defensemen improve their game.

It's a funny one, but my potato brain can see some positive with the right rose coloured glasses

On 7/8/2021 at 10:01 PM, Trizzak said:

All the important dates this month are there.

New team entering the league. Big names in trade rumours. Players going on LTIR for the whole season but returning for the playoffs. Let's go!

Just re-posting the dates here:

KEY DATES

July 8: NHL buyout window opens (24 hours after Stanley Cup is awarded). Window closes July 27.
July 17: Deadline for teams to submit protected lists for Seattle Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET).
July 18-20: Seattle's exclusive window to interview teams' unprotected pending free agents.
July 21: Seattle Expansion Draft (8 p.m. ET).
July 23: 2021 NHL Draft, Round 1.
July 24: 2021 NHL Draft, Rounds 2-7.
July 28: NHL free agency opens. RFA & UFA signing period begins (noon ET).