2021 NHL Offseason

Trizzak

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Parise and Suter bought out in Minnesota.

Suter is still good.  I wouldnt mind re-uniting him with Weber if he takes a cheap deal (and given that Minnesota is gonna pay him hes probably taking a cheap deal somewhere, though likely not us).

Tampering be damned, Weber should be on the phone with Suter and telling him he wants to get their "band" back together and by the way Bergevin's favourite number is 2 000 000 (with performance bonuses.)

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Just re-posting the dates here:

KEY DATES

July 8: NHL buyout window opens (24 hours after Stanley Cup is awarded). Window closes July 27.
July 17: Deadline for teams to submit protected lists for Seattle Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET).
July 18-20: Seattle's exclusive window to interview teams' unprotected pending free agents.
July 21: Seattle Expansion Draft (8 p.m. ET).
July 23: 2021 NHL Draft, Round 1.
July 24: 2021 NHL Draft, Rounds 2-7.
July 28: NHL free agency opens. RFA & UFA signing period begins (noon ET).

That's only four days left to sign any UFAs to an extension that you don't want to risk losing to Seattle.

Habs picking 30th, one Q d-man ranked around there (by central scouting anyways).

Quebec's Evan Nause (No. 22 in Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters) looks to be the top defenseman from the league. Do you consider him a two-way defenseman or a shutdown guy?

"I think he's a two-way defenseman and has more offense than what people give him credit for. He played the power play this year, his first year in the QMJHL. He's a great skater, really mobile, smooth stride, and covers a lot of ice at 5-on-5. He plays penalty kill as well, so he's the type of defenseman that will translate well to the pro game. He's got size (6-2, 186) and I thought he improved a lot this year as far as his decision-making with the puck."

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

looking at what some predict will be their protection list (8-1)

McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Keith, Nurse, Klefborn, Bear and a goalie. It is a lot of salary cap and it is puzzling that they prefer to trade for Keith instead of resigning and protecting Barrie which despite his warts may be a better option than Keith

But it is not as bad as it may look, with some good D prospects in Bouchard and Broberg still there and Keith maybe helping the EDM defensemen improve their game.

It's a funny one, but my potato brain can see some positive with the right rose coloured glasses

No way they go 8-1 and leave RNH open.

They go 7-3 and expose klefbom.

Ken holland said today that klefbom us highly unlikely to play at all in 2021-22 and his career may even be in jeopardy due to his shoulder.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Habs picking 30th, one Q d-man ranked around there (by central scouting anyways).

Quebec's Evan Nause (No. 22 in Central Scouting's final ranking of North American skaters) looks to be the top defenseman from the league. Do you consider him a two-way defenseman or a shutdown guy?

"I think he's a two-way defenseman and has more offense than what people give him credit for. He played the power play this year, his first year in the QMJHL. He's a great skater, really mobile, smooth stride, and covers a lot of ice at 5-on-5. He plays penalty kill as well, so he's the type of defenseman that will translate well to the pro game. He's got size (6-2, 186) and I thought he improved a lot this year as far as his decision-making with the puck."

Central scoutings rank of 30 is weird cause

1 goalies are a seperate list.

2 europeans are a seperate list.

Id not take nause at 30... but i would in second round.

Here are my ranks so far 

Https://Lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters

8 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Got help us, no more left handed defensemen! 

Obviously you are kidding, draft picks have little to do with current roster and picking at 30 likely only 30% chance of making it anyways. 

So even picking a goalie might not be worst thing to do.:spamafote: 

Like this kid perhaps (likely gone but);

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/05/23/sebastian-cossa-scouting-report/

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

First off, your work is greatly appreciated ... thank you

Looked at your #25-#37 (+/- 6 from Habs @ 31) ... I expect there to be even more fluidity in this years' draft than usual given the variance in games played and ability to scout live amongst prospects ... "we couldn't believe he was still available" will be more true than usual ... some interesting possibilities ... my favourite thus far is Zachary Bolduc (but only because he is from my home town).

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

First off, your work is greatly appreciated ... thank you

Looked at your #25-#37 (+/- 6 from Habs @ 31) ... I expect there to be even more fluidity in this years' draft than usual given the variance in games played and ability to scout live amongst prospects ... "we couldn't believe he was still available" will be more true than usual ... some interesting possibilities ... my favourite thus far is Zachary Bolduc (but only because he is from my home town).

Aint got a clue who to even guess at for 30th pick, but draft day isnt too far away.

I assume draft will be virtual again?

Would you take landesgok over danault if landesgok hits open market? I would...  dream off season Landesgok, Suter and a PP QB on D.

Toffoli / Suzuki  / Caufeild 

Anderson  / Landesgok  / Gallagher 

Lehkonen  / Kotkaniemi  / Byron 

Armia  / Staal  / Perry 

Chiarot  / Weber

Edmundson  / Petry 

Suter  / Romanov 

29 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Would you take landesgok over danault if landesgok hits open market? I would...  dream off season Landesgok, Suter and a PP QB on D.

Toffoli / Suzuki  / Caufeild 

Anderson  / Landesgok  / Gallagher 

Lehkonen  / Kotkaniemi  / Byron 

Armia  / Staal  / Perry 

Chiarot  / Weber

Edmundson  / Petry 

Suter  / Romanov 

I've always thought of Landeskog as a winger, and believe he was MacKinnon's LW in recent seasons ... but curiously he was third on the Avs for number of faceoffs taken last taken ... but he is certainly a legit top 6 forward.

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I've always thought of Landeskog as a winger, and believe he was MacKinnon's LW in recent seasons ... but curiously he was third on the Avs for number of faceoffs taken last taken ... but he is certainly a legit top 6 forward.

I feel we need to get bigger down the middle. Our lack of size really showed in the finals vers Tampa. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I feel we need to get bigger down the middle. Our lack of size really showed in the finals vers Tampa. 

I agree ... but signing a winger to play centre sounds vaguely familiar ... being signed to play centre might be an attraction for Landeskog to sign here, or it could be a reason he wouldn't ... only he knows.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

:nuts: where is McCarron when we need him :nuts: ?

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:nuts: where is McCarron when we need him :nuts: ?

Managed to get 6 games in with Nashville (one less than Tinordi).

I think a lot of people would be surprised if Suter ended up in Canada,” Elliotte Friedman said on his 31 Thoughts Podcast (5:54-ish, again around 7:00-ish). “He’s an American guy. He’s a Team USA guy. He’s always played in the states, I could always be surprised."

Well the thought was nice while it lasted ... unless Weber can sell him on Montreal.

3 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

We lost to skill not size. How big are Kucherov, Point, Gourde, Kilhorn, Johnson??

im sick and tired of the whole size arguement. If anything the issue we had was a big, slow D. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I think a lot of people would be surprised if Suter ended up in Canada,” Elliotte Friedman said on his 31 Thoughts Podcast (5:54-ish, again around 7:00-ish). “He’s an American guy. He’s a Team USA guy. He’s always played in the states, I could always be surprised."

Well the thought was nice while it lasted ... unless Weber can sell him on Montreal.

I think there as a chance for that if Weber would be playing. I think that chance is pretty slim now. I could see Chicago replacing a Keith cheaply with Suter.

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think there as a chance for that if Weber would be playing. I think that chance is pretty slim now. I could see Chicago replacing a Keith cheaply with Suter.

Suter's money in Minnesota was mostly signing bonuses.  He gets in cash (but spread out over double the time) 100% of those signing bonuses, and 66% of his salary remaining on his contract.  He's not going to be hurting for money. 

But he's never won a cup. 

I can see him chasing a cup... sign a 1 year deal ala Shattenkirk did with Tampa.... and he signs one-year cheap with either Tampa, Colorado or Vegas to chase the cup. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Well if Weber can't go how about signing both Staal brothers 🤔

We already had one Stall to many. The only Stall worth having is Jordan and he has another couple of years in his contract and makes more than what it would cost to resign Danault.

I want nothing to do with Marc Stall.

• dlbalr pinned this topic

How many more of these types of deals will we see before 5 PM Saturday?  Colorado was going to lose Graves to Seattle in expansion and now they get something for him (and will have to lose someone else).

17 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The bar has been set for offensive D-men:  Dallas gave Heiskanen 8.45M per season for eight seasons

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31832932/dallas-stars-sign-miro-heiskanen-eight-year-676m-contract

Heiskanen is close to being a superstar.

I'd be fine with the same contract for Hamilton. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Heiskanen is close to being a superstar.

I'd be fine with the same contract for Hamilton. 

As would I...we desperately need that piece to improve our breakouts and our PP