2021 NHL Offseason

Trizzak

55 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

We know Allen's in play, this could be a landing spot for him.

Edit: Looks like Arizona is the other team in this.

Arizona got it done. Hill and a 7th to SJ for Korenar and a 2nd.

Jared McCann to Toronto.  I didn't see that coming.  They must figure they're losing Kerfoot to Seattle then.

Filip Hallander (2nd rounder in 2018 who went there in the Kapanen trade) and a 7th is the return.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This one's a notable move:

Wow, big indeed.  Lots of talk that they were in in Jones, but couldn't get a commitment. And I saw Aaron Portzline quoting someone who says Columbus has not been allowing Jones to talk contract with possible trade partners. This is going to end with Columbus not trading him and him walking after the season, isn't it.

1 minute ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Wow, big indeed.  Lots of talk that they were in in Jones, but couldn't get a commitment. And I saw Aaron Portzline quoting someone who says Columbus has not been allowing Jones to talk contract with possible trade partners. This is going to end with Columbus not trading him and him walking after the season, isn't it.

I think Jones' camp has given Columbus a list of teams he'd be open to signing an extension with which would give Kekalainen a few options to work with for a trade.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

The bar has been set for offensive D-men:  Dallas gave Heiskanen 8.45M per season for eight seasons

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31832932/dallas-stars-sign-miro-heiskanen-eight-year-676m-contract

So if the Avs don’t have Makar signed by vet agency, and we paid over that bar - say $12m, would the Avs match?  I think a stud dman like that is worth as much as McDavid.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This one's a notable move:

Philippe Myers and Nolan Patrick go to Nashville; Nashville flips Patrick to Vegas for Cody Glass.

Am I missing something here - isnt Patrick looking like a bust, relative to his draft position, while Glass still has a higher ceiling, and is also going to be cheaper more years of control?

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Am I missing something here - isnt Patrick looking like a bust, relative to his draft position, while Glass still has a higher ceiling, and is also going to be cheaper more years of control?

With the year Glass had, it's pretty clear that Vegas had him in bust territory as well.  For all of the the centre issues they had against the Habs, they didn't use him which is telling (and he was healthy).  Yes, he does have a couple of extra years of team control but he has bonuses in his deal for next year and Patrick (who is an RFA) won't; their base salaries should be pretty close.  That could quietly be an element to this as well, a little more cap certainty for a team that will be against the cap.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With the year Glass had, it's pretty clear that Vegas had him in bust territory as well.  For all of the the centre issues they had against the Habs, they didn't use him which is telling (and he was healthy).  Yes, he does have a couple of extra years of team control but he has bonuses in his deal for next year and Patrick (who is an RFA) won't; their base salaries should be pretty close.  That could quietly be an element to this as well, a little more cap certainty for a team that will be against the cap.

I remember reading (not sure if it was accurate or not, who knows) that the Habs wanted Glass in the Pacioretty trade but Vegas wouldn't give him up.  Getting Suzuki turned out pretty well. 

I would trade signing rights on Hyman for those of Armia and a conditional 3rd round pick

He would be expensive but the Habs have room with all their LTIRs

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would trade signing rights on Hyman for those of Armia and a conditional 3rd round pick

Whatever room the Habs have with their LTIR's should be used for a defenceman not another gritty forward. I can't see another team giving Hyman an 8 year deal, he is 29 and the way he plays the last few years would be a big overpay. 

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Let's replace Weber and add some scoring before we worry about depth forwards.

Yeah, I'm also meh on spending the open money on wingers.

We need either Danault or a replacement.

We need at least 1 and maybe 2 RHD

that has to be higher priority than Hyman.  I think Hyman will be overpaid cause those goals he won't replicate unless he's with McDavid or something after leaving M&M

What's up with the Ladd trade to Phoenix? They tired of paying him NHL money to sit on an AHL roster? And how is it that the Islanders aren't getting anything back? Neither teams' announcement lists anything going back to the Isles.

9 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

What's up with the Ladd trade to Phoenix? They tired of paying him NHL money to sit on an AHL roster? And how is it that the Islanders aren't getting anything back? Neither teams' announcement lists anything going back to the Isles.

It's a straight cap dump.  $6M off gives them a shot at re-signing Palmieri.  And yes, the return is nothing.  (Maybe they had to technically put some form of unachievable future consideration in there but this boils down to trading three picks to get the Coyotes to take Ladd.)

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's a straight cap dump.  $6M off gives them a shot at re-signing Palmieri.  And yes, the return is nothing.  (Maybe they had to technically put some form of unachievable future consideration in there but this boils down to trading three picks to get the Coyotes to take Ladd.)

I keep forgetting that you can't fully bury a contract anymore, i.e. why we bought out Alzner instead of just leaving him in the minors.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Zach Dean, should a Newfie, from the Q, be good option to take next Friday at 30?

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/06/12/zach-dean-scouting-report/

In many of the mock drafts he is in the "sphere" of potential picks for the Habs ... this is the kind of draft where I wouldn't be surprised to see him go much high or for the habs to pass and see him go much lower.

Looks like the 2021-22 NHL schedule just got more challenging ... not quite a return to a "regular" 82 game season.

On the bright side, once official the "who should be on the Olympic Team" debates can begin ;) 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Looks like the 2021-22 NHL schedule just got more challenging ... not quite a return to a "regular" 82 game season.

On the bright side, once official the "who should be on the Olympic Team" debates can begin ;) 

Awesome if true 👍

Activity starting to pick up in the NHL:

1. Shayne Gostisbehere to Arizona as a salary dump

2. Alex Nedeljkovic to Detroit for a third and Jonathan Bernier's rights

3. Mike Smith 2 year deal with the Oilers

Number two makes no sense to me. I understand the cap implications and arbitration for the Canes but he signed for 2 years at 3 million per year with the Wings. That is a pretty cheap contract for a young goalie who was third in Calder voting last year. Carolina finally found themselves a goalie and weren't willing to pay him. In my opinion you find a way to fit him into your cap situation especially seeing how much he signed for. Great trade for Yzerman and the Wings though. 

5 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

I understand the cap implications and arbitration for the Canes but he signed for 2 years at 3 million per year with the Wings. That is a pretty cheap contract for a young goalie who was third in Calder voting last year. Carolina finally found themselves a goalie and weren't willing to pay him. In my opinion you find a way to fit him into your cap situation especially seeing how much he signed for. Great trade for Yzerman and the Wings though. 

It's going to be a wild off-season. I didn't think I'd see anything today as baffling as Seattle's draft yesterday. Why on earth do you give up a relatively young goalie whose contract demands are not outrageous? And to get such a small return? And from what I understand, nobody else in the pipeline? What on earth is happening around this league?

• Upvote 1