2021 NHL Offseason

Trizzak

4 hours ago, Habsfan84 said:

Activity starting to pick up in the NHL:

1. Shayne Gostisbehere to Arizona as a salary dump

2. Alex Nedeljkovic to Detroit for a third and Jonathan Bernier's rights

3. Mike Smith 2 year deal with the Oilers

Number two makes no sense to me. I understand the cap implications and arbitration for the Canes but he signed for 2 years at 3 million per year with the Wings. That is a pretty cheap contract for a young goalie who was third in Calder voting last year. Carolina finally found themselves a goalie and weren't willing to pay him. In my opinion you find a way to fit him into your cap situation especially seeing how much he signed for. Great trade for Yzerman and the Wings though. 

And #3 two year deal

makes sense??? Holland has lost his marbles.

4 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

It's going to be a wild off-season. I didn't think I'd see anything today as baffling as Seattle's draft yesterday. Why on earth do you give up a relatively young goalie whose contract demands are not outrageous? And to get such a small return? And from what I understand, nobody else in the pipeline? What on earth is happening around this league?

What's really interesting there is Carolina and Nedeljkovic weren't even remotely close on money; I had read reports that they were about $2 million a season apart.  Considering he only signed for $3 million, it appears they were basically offering him a few hundred thousand extra and holding firm to that.  He wasn't going to be qualified on Monday had a trade not been done to avoid the risk of salary arbitration.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And #3 two year deal

makes sense??? Holland has lost his marbles.

Smith had a decent season ... but it was his first season with a Sv% above .920 since 2011-12 (and those are the only two times he has done so in his 15 seasons) ... at least the deal is only $2.2M ... basically good backup money.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Smith had a decent season ... but it was his first season with a Sv% above .920 since 2011-12 (and those are the only two times he has done so in his 15 seasons) ... at least the deal is only $2.2M ... basically good backup money.

Why  give 2 yrs to a 40 year old goalie - especially one with yo-yo numbers. One yr, sure - though they really do need another goalie, because smith will need to be a #1.  Holland is still overpaying old guys that ll past their best before dates on  either $, term, or both. Just like at the end of his tenure with Detroit.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Why  give 2 yrs to a 40 year old goalie - especially one with yo-yo numbers. One yr, sure - though they really do need another goalie, because smith will need to be a #1.  Holland is still overpaying old guys that ll past their best before dates on  either $, term, or both. Just like at the end of his tenure with Detroit.

Wasn't disagreeing ... was only saying at least it isn't a ridiculous AAV ... the only reason I could see for the second season is that it reduced the AAV enough to make it worthwhile, but per CapFriendly the salary actually goes up in the second season ... so that excuse wasn't the reason ... makes no sense to me ... maybe McDavid likes him?

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Smith did have an excellent season, keeps himself in great shape, very popular in the room and it's not a lot of money. There will be a lot worse signings out there. 

Id' rather have Nedeljkovic or Dreidger or Bernier or Mrazek or a bunch of other options other than Smith.  Especially when the other goalie spot is locked in with koskinen (at too much money to move easily).

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Smith did have an excellent season, keeps himself in great shape, very popular in the room and it's not a lot of money. There will be a lot worse signings out there. 

It’s a question of how many bad signings and trades can when team afford?  Given the Keith deal - when you factor the loss of Larsson, the cost of Keith is much higher - and that’s without salary retention. Not sure Holland is doing that much better than Chiarelli - not worse, but it’s been a marginal improvement.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id' rather have Nedeljkovic or Dreidger or Bernier or Mrazek or a bunch of other options other than Smith.  Especially when the other goalie spot is locked in with koskinen (at too much money to move easily).

Yep. Talk is that he is going to get another #1. And who knows he may end up with three goalies, and none that can be considered a legit #1.

Holland is doing the same thing as he did at the end of his tenure with Detroit. Overpay and give too much term to old guys, whose best days are behind them.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s a question of how many bad signings and trades can when team afford?  Given the Keith deal - when you factor the loss of Larsson, the cost of Keith is much higher - and that’s without salary retention. Not sure Holland is doing that much better than Chiarelli - not worse, but it’s been a marginal improvement.

The term for Keith and Smith is only 2 years so it won't be a massive mistake (unlike paying Jeff Skinner 9 million a year for the next 6 years, that's a massive mistake).  There is absolutely no question that Holland is feeling the pressure to win now and will spend to the cap limit. I would love to find a way to get Bromberg from the Oilers. 

6 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Yikes! Would have liked Risto but not at that price.

Consider what Philly had to do yesterday to free up the rest of the money for this trade.  The trade is basically Pick 14, 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd, 2022 7th, Hagg, and Gostisbehere for Ristolainen (who has one year left on his contract).  That's a big price to pay.

• Upvote 2

Just now, dlbalr said:

Consider what Philly had to do yesterday to free up the rest of the money for this trade.  The trade is basically Pick 14, 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd, 2022 7th, Hagg, and Gostisbehere for Ristolainen (who has one year left on his contract).  That's a big price to pay.

This is insanity and I hope other teams do stupid stuff too. Except for Bergevin of course 

Pavel Buchnevich to St. Louis for Sammy Blais and a 2022 2nd.  That's a definite offensive upgrade for the Blues at not that high of a cost although Buchnevich is arbitration-eligible and a year from UFA eligibility.  In the meantime, the Rangers are quickly getting tougher with this move and the Goodrow signing.