2021 NHL Offseason

Trizzak

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Looks like big trade between Vancouver and phoenix with OEL going to Vancouver wow😮😮

I have no idea what Vancouver's thinking here.  Ekman-Larsson is already declining quickly and is signed through 2026-27.  Sure, they dumped their deadweight contracts in this trade which helps them for this season but they just added a brutal contract to their books for the sake of trying to make the playoffs next year.  That's going to cost them down the road.

I like it from Vancouver’s side.. OEL has been bad on a terrible team, he’ll be a bit better on the Nucks, plus Garland is a nice depth forward.

Teams are paying premium for dmen this off-season, which isn’t great for Montreal considering a good summer would be adding two. 

I think you’re wrong on this one. OEL, in book, is the most underrated player in the leauge.

With the right team, he’s a Norris candidate.

Arizona picking up Loui Eriksson is the ”bad move” in this deal as he’s SO dependable on team mates to set him up. (Jordin Tootoo, anyone?!)

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Consider what Philly had to do yesterday to free up the rest of the money for this trade.  The trade is basically Pick 14, 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd, 2022 7th, Hagg, and Gostisbehere for Ristolainen (who has one year left on his contract).  That's a big price to pay.

I thought you they were moving money out for Jones. Not much separating ghost from Risto- risto is a bit better overall. Maybe they see him as a one year rental, before signing Jones next year?

Ristolainen is another player that has far more potential than what he’s lived up to.

Good move by the Sabres, assuming they will pick Powers.

As I see it, this might be a trade that benefits all involved.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I have no idea what Vancouver's thinking here.  Ekman-Larsson is already declining quickly and is signed through 2026-27.  Sure, they dumped their deadweight contracts in this trade which helps them for this season but they just added a brutal contract to their books for the sake of trying to make the playoffs next year.  That's going to cost them down the road.

How much salary did they actually dump?? They still have to resign Paterson, Hughes, Boeser.  I would have thought that they needed to move Schmidt as well.

I think OEL is better than he has shown- could be a situation where a change of scenery is required, but Vancouver is risking a lot given they need to sign their  young core.

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Oel used to he that player 4 years ago.  Hes fallen off badly.

Benning got played imo.

When hasn’t he gotten played?

31 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

I think you’re wrong on this one. OEL, in book, is the most underrated player in the leauge.

With the right team, he’s a Norris candidate.

Arizona picking up Loui Eriksson is the ”bad move” in this deal as he’s SO dependable on team mates to set him up. (Jordin Tootoo, anyone?!)

Arizona isn't viewing Eriksson as an asset; they don't want him.  His inclusion was strictly for financial reasons.  They'd give him away for free if they could.  Ekman-Larsson was quite good a couple of years ago but has struggled lately.  He's now 30 with a lot of heavy minutes under his belt.  It's hard to see him turning back into a number one defenceman.  I'm also looking ahead to next summer when Boeser needs a new contract and the year after that when Horvat is up.  They had cap space to afford those raises before this trade.  They don't really have it now.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How much salary did they actually dump?? They still have to resign Paterson, Hughes, Boeser.  I would have thought that they needed to move Schmidt as well.

I suspect Schmidt will be on the move as well as they'll need that to offset the rest of the money.

1 minute ago, ch_nl said:

Ristolainen is another player that has far more potential than what he’s lived up to.

Good move by the Sabres, assuming they will pick Powers.

As I see it, this might be a trade that benefits all involved.

I’m shocked at the return- that’s probably the best trade the Sabres have made in a LONG time.
is this just a really bad draft for players in philly’s spot, or GM’s unsure of who to pick with the Covid shutdowns during the past year???

Sounds like Vancouver is close to acquiring Oliver Ekman-Larson according to Pierre Lebrun.  

Vancouver’s 9th overall pick is close to being dealt, not clear if it’s the same deal.

Edit:  nevermind, it’s all the same deal and it’s done.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I agree, they dumped some bad contracts but those contracts only had 1 year left anyway and he still has to replace some of those 3rd/4th line guys.  Giving up the #9 pick for a rebuilding team does not seem wise.  Looks like an impatient move for Benning. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, they dumped some bad contracts but those contracts only had 1 year left anyway and he still has to replace some of those 3rd/4th line guys.  Giving up the #9 pick for a rebuilding team does not seem wise.  Looks like an impatient move for Benning. 

Knowing how much ownership meddles in Vancouver by refusing to allow any sort of rebuild/retool, I suspect this is more ownership-driven than Benning going out and wanting this.